Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DP, I picked up a new 5th wheel yesterday and the truck sags 3". That leaves me with 5.5" of clearance on the front landing jacks of the camper. Our previous 5th wheel had manual jacks that retracted up into the camper chassis so a little sag wasn't a problem. Now, I have a lot of sag and bags are a must.

Here is my dilemma. We use this truck for launching our boat in/out of the water and I am afraid that the manifold and compressor will not be able to be installed in a location where I will not have to worry about either part being submerged in the water and destroying the unit. I thought about installing the parts in the bed of the truck, but then you still have to worry about rain water, (snow in the winter) and the loss of bed space.

Does anyone have any expertise on this that uses their truck for this very purpose? FYI-the truck height is stock and I am not lifting it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do you already have the airbag kit? If not, you can go with manual fill valve air lines. I know it doesn't have that in-cab switch convenience, but might work for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you already have the airbag kit? If not, you can go with manual fill valve air lines. I know it doesn't have that in-cab switch convenience, but might work for you.
Not yet. Still deciding between Air Life and Firestone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
24 Posts
you could install them in a truck tool box in the bed of your truck. They make all types of sizes & shapes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You back that far into the water to launch? I have a compressor mounted up in the frame close to the back of the cab (8' box). I launch our 28' boat and never get close to getting it wet. My back tires get in the water but not far. Can you extend the trailer tongue? Hitch extension?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
It is rare that my rear tires touch the water when launching, you sure you need to be backing in that far?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It is rare that my rear tires touch the water when launching, you sure you need to be backing in that far?
If the ramp is steep enough, you don't have to back very far to launch. However, a very shallow ramp may require going into the water a long ways. But good thought. Lots of people just don't know how to launch their boats. Probably not the case with the OP, however.

·
Registered
114 Posts
2 trucks ago I had the same concern, went with bags and a fill valve instead of onboard compressor. Many think it is a pain but for 6-8 times a year, I just filled bags while hooking up.
As far as backing into the water, you guys need to think about boat length, deep "V", steepness of ramp, bunk style...
Ive backed my 7" lift with 37's half way into water at times

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run the Air Lift system with the compressor mounted behind the back seat. A "T" mounted at the compressor runs one line to the dash for on/off switch, gauge and dump valve so I can make adjustments while driving, the other line runs out of the cab through a grommet to the wheel well behind the fuel fill. There I have 2 "T's", one goes to the manual fill valve mounted to the inside lip of the bed, the other to the bags. When launching a boat, I seldom get my tires in the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts