Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking for help in putting a compressed air source together. Under bed or bedmount. Anybody done this already?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Hoot, I have not as yet done this on my Dmax, but have experiance setting up OBA systems on Jeeps, which are much more confined. Run a belt driven York compressor on my jeep, with front bumper acting as air tank. Check these links out:

http://www.onboardair.com/

http://www.viaircorp.com/

http://www.central4wd.com/store/default.asp?ParentID=114

Should give you an idea what is available. When I set one up on the HD, I will most probably try and fit one of the 2.5 gallon tanks up, hopefully tucked up underneath, and couple it to a Viair 100 or 200 series hardmount compressor. Since inflation is the only concern for me, this setup will be sufficient.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I mounted a Viair 550c and a 3 gallon tank under the truck. Mounted both in front of the rear wheel on the outside of the frame rail on the passenger side. It automatically fills to 150 psi when the truck is on. Also put a quick connect fitting and water sepatarator on the tank. It works great.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flduramax said:
I mounted a Viair 550c and a 3 gallon tank under the truck. Mounted both in front of the rear wheel on the outside of the frame rail on the passenger side. It automatically fills to 150 psi when the truck is on. Also put a quick connect fitting and water sepatarator on the tank. It works great.
Can you give me more deatils and pics? I was considering the 550C.... that's a nice compressor but I'm also looking at full system price.

I would like to see the compressor and tank mounted.

Looks like 400-500 bucks either way for the air system.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will post some pic later, need to go and take some. I have had some of the cheeper compressors and they just dont last. This one has been great. The only thing i want to change on mine, is add a larger tank. The bigger one wouldn't fit where i wanted to mount it, but I can add another small tank infront of this one.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
hoot a friend of ours sells oasis pumps... dont know if it would interest you.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have spent a lot of time looking at this. It really comes down to what you want to do with it. The york or sanden (stock AC compressors) have a lot of flow about 4 cfm. The 12v are easier to setup but not nearly as quick to inflate a tire and probably can't run air tools.

I have been putting together a price list of items needed to run a engine powered compressor off the accessory belt. Find a compressor at a junk yard and then you are talking the mounting bracket, hoses, tank, pressure switch, safety valve, and oilers (for non-york style) and coalescing(sp) filters. All in all Hoot is right around $400 or so and some time. Its a chore to put together, great for someone who likes to field engineer things.

I like the idea of flipping a switch on the dash kicking in the high idle and being albe to fill a 7 gallon tank to 120PSI in 60 seconds or so.

No that I really need it.......but who are we kidding.....we don't really need juice or ecm's either....................well we do now

I might only use it 5 times a year but it has that cool factor to an engineer like me

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you go with a non-York belt fed, a rotary A/C compressor, you will have to pay close attention to the oiler. The in-line oilers for air tools will NOT supply enough for the compressor. I tried this with a small Toyota compressor and it did not take long to burn it up. They put out massive amounts of air but have no internal lubrication once the freon is removed. A friend of mine had a similar setup. Any day he used the compressor he would first pour approx 1 tblspn of oil into the intake. For the rest of the day, depending on just how much it was used, he relied on the in-line oiler. He ran it that way for at least 5 years with no problems. I said the heck with it and went with a 2 cylinder York.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chevmeister said:
hoot a friend of ours sells oasis pumps... dont know if it would interest you.
That's a $700 unit that only has a 25% duty cycle.
It's a nice unit.... York compressor tied to a winch motor.
8cfm at 100 psi but 180 amp draw. That's not a typo.

The Viair 550c is only like 1.4 cfm at 100psi but it's 100% duty cycle, never uses over 30 amps and costs $300.

I'll have to see what his cost... I mean price is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts