Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are tons of threads about air ride seats, but I didn't see one that covered my issue.

I have a 2009 C5500 Topkick with a drivers air ride seat. The compressor comes on and does inflate the bag. Not sure if it's filling to the pressure required, but the seat does rise up. However, when I sit in it, it sinks. The seat still has some bounce to it, but not much at all. I also do not hear the compressor come on as if the bag had lost pressure.

Since the air system seems to be working, I was thinking that the shock had actually failed. I don't know what provides the actually support or how it's divided between the two.

Any advice would be appreciated before I start replacing parts.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
953 Posts
The air line from the compressor goes to a valve/switch, which when toggled up allows air pressure to enter the air shock. the valve/switch traps the air in the shock. If the shock or any of the tubing or even the switch leaks, the compressor wont cycle, as you are not releasing more air into the shock. Unless the valve/switch is leaking on the compressed air side, then the compressor tank would blead down and the compressor would cycle on. You might have a bad air line, shock or switch. Use some soapy water to check the connections for leaks. The switch/valve is a standard seat control part, and easy to replace. I have replaced both my seat valves on my truck, as they leaked at the hose connection to the shock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The air line from the compressor goes to a valve/switch, which when toggled up allows air pressure to enter the air shock. the valve/switch traps the air in the shock. If the shock or any of the tubing or even the switch leaks, the compressor wont cycle, as you are not releasing more air into the shock. Unless the valve/switch is leaking on the compressed air side, then the compressor tank would blead down and the compressor would cycle on. You might have a bad air line, shock or switch. Use some soapy water to check the connections for leaks. The switch/valve is a standard seat control part, and easy to replace. I have replaced both my seat valves on my truck, as they leaked at the hose connection to the shock.
Thank you! I will check that this afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts