Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the 285/75/16 BFG ATs on stock PYOs and noticed that the rear tires were wearing in the center after only about 1500 miles. not much, but enough that i noticed a little difference from the front. the rear still had the tits on the side of the tread as well.
I checked the pressure and all 4 had 55 psi. That looks to be a good pressure for the front looking at the wear on them. I lowered the rear down to 45 to see if it rides better and fixes the wear pattern.
the first 800 miles i was towing my trailer so i didn't bother checking the presure since i just put them on and had no idea how they would wear. The tire place set all 4 at 55 when i had them put them on.

My question is, what are yall running for pressure for good wear running the stock rims with this size tire?:confused: with and without a load.

thanks
Scott

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
This is one of the reasons why they tell you mount a tire that large on a wider rim, Scott. The narrow rim pulls the sidewalls in farther than intended, which will naturally make the center of the tread want to ride high. If you're towing light, I would think a pressure of around 40-45 will give you the best tire wear possible..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i figured they would baloon out a little but I have run other tires of the same size on the same rim, just figured somebody had a good tire pressure figured out already. I think it had a lot to do with all 4 being at 55psi to begin with. not near as much weight on the back most of the time.

They look good tho :D and i am trying not to spin them like i did the stockers.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
find a long and as straight as possible length of road stop and mark across the tire with a piece of chalk. go for a drive and check where the chalk wore off at. this should give you an idea of what pressure to use

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats something i have not thought of. thanks. I will have to give that a try.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The info on the door jam of my 06 calls for 55 front & 80 rear. I have been running 70 in the rear & everything looks good at 11,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The info on the door jam of my 06 calls for 55 front & 80 rear. I have been running 70 in the rear & everything looks good at 11,000 miles.
For the stock wheels and tires, that's right on the money. When you change tire size and/or wheels, it takes a bit of experimenting to find the best wear pattern. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same tires and rims, and I run 50 front, 45 rear. I frequently tow a moderate load and this works well for me. The rears will probably always wear like you described(mine do). You just need to keep them rotated and in the end, you will have a fairly evenly worn set of tires.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I Run Same Tire On Stk Rims, And Run 60lbs. In All 4. Got 4000 Mls. On 06 Lbz. Hell I Cant See Any Tire Wear On Any Of'em Yet.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Run Same Tire On Stk Rims, And Run 60lbs. In All 4. Got 4000 Mls. On 06 Lbz. Hell I Cant See Any Tire Wear On Any Of'em Yet.
are you running any extra weight?:confused:

the only wear i have been able to notice was right in the center, and that was just the little line down the center of the tire, like the little tits on the outer edge. that was an easy wear indicator. You can still see the front one.

IMHO, At 60 lbs, I would say you have too much pressure in the rear if you have no weight on the rear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I bought my 285's they put 50psi in them. I run 42psi in them now front and rear and they are wearing really good especially for a MT. and the ride when loaded moderately is good.
My last set I ran 50 in the front and 45 in the rear and I still ate up the center.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Y & N

YEA UR PROB RITE BOUT 2 MUCH AIR IN REAR ??? NO NOT NE XTRA WEIGHT:ro)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The reason the sticker on the door says 80 psi for the rear is because they have no idea how you are going to load it. So, they are covering there butts by puttting that on there. If you are not hauling anything in the truck and just driving, you need around 35 to 40 in the rears. I run 35 in my Regular cab, and I get along great. I run 55 in the fronts.
If you are wearing the centers out, then you do not have a good contact patch on the ground. Putting that big of tire on the stock wheel is exaggerating this issue. You are going to have to run even less air to get those shoulders down because they are being pulled in by the narrow rim. Honestly, you won't be able to run low enough air to get the tread face flat on the ground. If you did, you will destroy the sidewalls and or beads. I would get them down to around 40 unloaded and rotate them. Or get wider rims and then you can run lower air pressures. These trucks are really light in the rear when unloaded. I might weigh mine to see just how much it does weigh.
Good Luck,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts