Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good tips on air lifts? Other brands?

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personally I like the Firestone Ride-Rites best. I have had them on 2 trucks and they are very dependable and I rarely have any leaks. 3500-5000lbs ratings. Whatever you buy, check the load ratings and make sure they will do what you need to do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have air lift bags for about 6 months now. No leaks at all. I would recomend the compressor to go along with the bags.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do they ride when there's no load? Any idea what the minimum pressure is?

·
Registered
800 Posts
They ride like stock when not loaded. I deflate them to 5lbs. and the compressor automatically keeps it at 5lbs. If you run them at 0lbs. the bags will twist and tear that's why I recommend the compressor. Just my 02.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the firestone bags are the best imo i have install tons of them and most of them are all the people i have put them on have for suspension and have lasted for 7 years one of my own trucks.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
593 Posts
hey dave saturday i'll show you some set ups didn't realize who was asking about them lol

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey dave saturday i'll show you some set ups didn't realize who was asking about them lol
Excellent, Rob! Looks like we'll be talking a lot about the Dmax stuff.
I'm anxiously awaiting Saturday morning.

I'll probably be blasted here for this, but here's what I did:

This is the first P/U truck I've owned. Before that, Suburbans, Vans, etc.
I drove a friends DMax to San Diego one weekend and because of the performance and loving that diesel sound, I knew I had to have one. When I got my new truck, I didn't care for the real stiff ride, especially on the freeway expansion joints we have here in So Calif. Being accustomed to the ride of the SUV's, I felt like I was being jolted in the new truck.

On one of the forums, some guys were saying that they removed the heavy (short) 1" thick leaf in the rear leaf springs and that it made the ride somewhat softer. So, I removed the heavy leaf on each side. I like the softer ride and I do notice that it's just a little more bouncey, kind of what you feel when your shocks are worn out, though not really that bad. I figure that it will wear out the shocks a little sooner. When I tow the boat (3000 lbs and 350 lbs of tongue weight) the truck sits a little lower in the rear than I'd like. I may opt for Bilsteins in the rear, but I got to thinking that maybe the "air bags" on the rear would allow me to 1) adjust the rear stiffness according to the load, 2) keep the truck level when towing, 3) keep the shocks from wearing out, and 4) preserve the ride quality without the stiff ride of the extra heavy leaf springs. Anyway, that's why I'm looking in to the air lifts.

Thanks again, Rob. I'll see you on Saturday morning.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Excellent, Rob! Looks like we'll be talking a lot about the Dmax stuff.
I'm anxiously awaiting Saturday morning.

I'll probably be blasted here for this, but here's what I did:

This is the first P/U truck I've owned. Before that, Suburbans, Vans, etc.
I drove a friends DMax to San Diego one weekend and because of the performance and loving that diesel sound, I knew I had to have one. When I got my new truck, I didn't care for the real stiff ride, especially on the freeway expansion joints we have here in So Calif. Being accustomed to the ride of the SUV's, I felt like I was being jolted in the new truck.

On one of the forums, some guys were saying that they removed the heavy (short) 1" thick leaf in the rear leaf springs and that it made the ride somewhat softer. So, I removed the heavy leaf on each side. I like the softer ride and I do notice that it's just a little more bouncey, kind of what you feel when your shocks are worn out, though not really that bad. I figure that it will wear out the shocks a little sooner. When I tow the boat (3000 lbs and 350 lbs of tongue weight) the truck sits a little lower in the rear than I'd like. I may opt for Bilsteins in the rear, but I got to thinking that maybe the "air bags" on the rear would allow me to 1) adjust the rear stiffness according to the load, 2) keep the truck level when towing, 3) keep the shocks from wearing out, and 4) preserve the ride quality without the stiff ride of the extra heavy leaf springs. Anyway, that's why I'm looking in to the air lifts.

Thanks again, Rob. I'll see you on Saturday morning.

your shocks are probably already wore out, trust me

·
Registered
665 Posts
Factory shocks are worn out before the truck leaves the assembly line. Get some Bilsteins.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Factory shocks are worn out before the truck leaves the assembly line. Get some Bilsteins.
Yes they are. My brand new dually got bilsteins within the first 200 miles and the OEM shocks were trash already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts