Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding air bags or suspension to a couple of my work trucks (DA 2500 CC's) but I still have not found enough information or personal experiences with this setup. http://www.airliftcompany.com/ROADTAMER/c3500.htm. Anyone have any personal experience, pics or other with regards to this setup?? It looks like a strong/reliable product but I am curious why I have not seen anyone with one of these setups. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
i think the expense of it is why you don't see to many with it. if you are looking to just level out the trucks will under load i would just do the airbags

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
There was a post on here and I can't find it , one guy had it on and another was getting ready to install , the one installed was on a 2500 and he said no ride improvement but nice kit ,I have been considering it myself but if the ride is no better ???? There is a guy who built a 4 link himself and says it rides good , he did a great job at way less than any of the kits. Air ride done right would beat anything for overall performance but it can get pricey.

·
Registered
179 Posts
why not just run basic air bags (air lift, firestone, etc) with the adjustable rancho 9000 shocks? since i added the air bags, i've noticed a smoother ride. i keep them air'd up a little when empty and they decrease the stiffness of the springs, resulting in a smoother ride. they can be a little bouncey under a load but the rancho rs9000 adjustable shocks combat this very well. i've got bilsteins at all four corners and am ordering the rancho's for the rear along with their remote incab adjustment option. i've ran the rs9000's before on my previous truck with the remote incab adjustment and they are very nice. HUGE difference from lowest setting to highest. heavy load = higher setting. empty = lower setting. and way cheaper. i wouldn't want to worry about affecting warranty on suspension or decreasing weight capacity.
i wouldn't trust my 18k trailer atop air lifts leaf spring removal kit. but that's just one mans opinion.:)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
A properly set up air ride will outperform springs in every way and with bump stops set right there is little danger of loosing a bag causing a problem, my semi trucks have millions of miles without a air bag failure , more miles then springs ever used to run , yes there is a reason for both springs and air ride but nothing rides like air, I have literaly destroyed a car in a spring ride trailer. The biggest problem is no one has a really properly set up air ride for a pickup that is bolt on and go and very few people are willing and able to take the time to make one work. But ask those who have and they would never go back to springs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have yet seen any air spring pickup that uses the air bag in conjunction with the leaf springs , it is a common practice in the trucking industry and they ride very well.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
the way whippledHD did it is for a 6" lifted truck so if you don't want your truck lifted that wouldn't be a good way to go and also the reason his cost so low was that he already had the airbags and the compressor and tank on the truck but i think his setup would still out perform any bolt-on kit that is out there and like carhualer said there is a reason that semi trucks run bags and not leaf springs anymore just like why they have diesel engines you just have to make sure you get a set of bags that can handle more weight then the truck can handle and just make sure you don't go over that

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
air leaf

Puffer;1590011; said:
I have yet seen any air spring pickup that uses the air bag in conjunction with the leaf springs , it is a common practice in the trucking industry and they ride very well.
Kelderman has a strange set up that bolts to the hitch area and has a air bag set up on the rear attached to the leafs , I have never heard anything from a actual user if it rides good or not , it is a level stance and has a wieght rating equel to stock , no one ever rates anything over factory but I am sure it will carry more than its rated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts