Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the scene and just wondering who has the best air box out? I have been looking at the airad, k&n, afe, and volante. I want a complete system with the tube. Who makes the best kit, vs price, vs benefits, and are there any other options out there that my be better. Which gives the best power and sound as well(like to hear the turbo). And finally has anyone tried changing the mass air sensor because I have noticed that granatelli has one. Thanks for the input and help with making up my mind. Edited by: wkbrd2damax

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've had the K&N for about 6 months now. Very little if any difference, maybe better throttle response maybe not. A little more turbo noise, not much though. Probably not worth the money IMHO, wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
a64pilot said:
I've had the K&N for about 6 months now. Very little if any difference, maybe better throttle response maybe not. A little more turbo noise, not much though. Probably not worth the money IMHO, wouldn't do it again.

I've read a lot of posts & classifieds for sale and would have to agree with the "Probably not worth the money" so I just made up my mind about what I am going to do. I'm gonna swiss cheese my stock airbox aka JK way (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2218&KW=UNI+filter) and use the UNI filter. From all I've read and understand I suspect this will produce good results and no question at the best cost.

·
Registered
463 Posts
wkbrd2damax said:
New to the scene and just wondering who has the best air box out? I have been looking at the airad, k&n, afe, and volante. I want a complete system with the tube. Who makes the best kit, vs price, vs benefits, and are there any other options out there that my be better. Which gives the best power and sound as well(like to hear the turbo). And finally has anyone tried changing the mass air sensor because I have noticed that granatelli has one. Thanks for the input and help with making up my mind.

I have the AFE Stage II, and I put on 4" straight pipes at the same time. The throttle response is much better, and the turbo whistle is great. I'd like even more whistle if I could get it, I just don't know if I can.

I bought them both from Con's performance chips, Con is a member here...Very nice to do business with him, and I will again in the future.

Happy New Year!

Kevin

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've heard nothing but good stories about Volant. AAMOF, I'm gonna get one as soon as the $$ are available.Edited by: JimWilson

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS FOR THE INPUT. IT SEEMS THAT NO REAL GAINS ARE RECEIVED FROM THE SYSTEM. I MAY JUST HOLD OFF AND SPEND THE $ ELSE WHERE. NOT SURE ON WHAT TO DO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The air intake systems are designed to flow more air on their own but also help go hand in hand with the different fueling boxes. When the boxes turn it up, the need for the extra airflow becomes more important and beneficial to increase your boost and power appropriately. I hope this helps to explain it a little better.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I went with AFE stage 2 and if you ask me it was worht the money spent. Remember we need air to make our power...so why not give her more? When you see how much of a bigger diameter the tube is and also how smooth the flow is it really is a no brainer. I noticed a BIG improvement in throttle response ..no maybe on my end. Do a AFE surch and you can see the install I did the day after Christmas. I would not go without one. That seems to be the idea in eastern MO also everyone is running with them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's the waste gate that ultimately determines how much air you get. Unless youv'e disabled the waste gate that is. If you haven't, then no form of intake will increase the amount of air after the waste gate pops. Now an intake system may help increase the air flow prior to the waste gate opening, hence the possibility of improved throttle response, but it will not increase the max power output IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HAS ANYONE TRIED TO BUILD SOME TYPE OF RAM AIR SYSTEM?(LIKE A SQUARE TO ROUND DUCT WITH A FLEX TUBE)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts