Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is any air intakes made for a 6.2 or if anyone has any good ideas that have worked previously on 6.2 I'm not very happy with the factory intake. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am not sure what the air intake looks like on an ’82 but I had an ’83 and still have an ’84. When I first got the truck, I found the big plastic “muffler” for the air intake. After pulling off the air filter and seeing the size of the intake manifold I got to thinking that if I wanted to design an air restriction point into this thing I couldn’t have done a better job than that muffler.

The first thing I did was take the muffler off. Then I found the little connection point to the air cleaner. Well, that wouldn’t do either so I cut another hole in the side of the air cleaner about the same size as the original connection and 180 degrees around on the opposite side.

Nothing fancy here, no after market stuff, just opened it up and let it breath a little easer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something I have been thinking about on my 82 air intake is to make up longer rods that hold the top of the air cleaner house on and stack 2 elements in there sealed together with RTV. there appears to be enough hood clearance just haven't gotten around to try it. If it would work, it would allow a lot more air through the element area which probably a restriction also plus more square inches of intake in the housing.Edited by: gamfa

·
Registered
211 Posts
I took the baffle off and ran a piece of 3-4 inch flex from the air cleaner to the opening in the radiator support. Could potentially cause it to ingest water but the water would have to be splashed up 40 inches or so. The flex came from the local home improvement store. It is a aluminum based hose. Heavy wire ties hold it in place. It gets cooler air from the grill instead of the engine compartment. At maybe a bit of ram air??
Edited by: Professor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re AirIntake upgrade, I found an intake manifold from a larger truck, a one ton or larger, not sure, anyway this 6.2 intake has no EGR valves or other obstruction and seem to be a much better intake that the old one. Sure will flow more air, thats for sure. You may find one at a truck wrecking yard.

Before I install it, I may have it bead blasted to clean it up a bit. Also, since my truck has only one fuel filter, A Racor that replaced the funky factory one on the firewall,. I will replace the fuel hose to the FI pump and add a Mercedes inline fuel filter like the one I have on my '78 Mercedes 300Sd five cyl Diesel.

Most of the smaller trucks had a EGR valve sitting in the middle of the air intake which not only reduced the air flow , also introduced EGR which dropped 15 HP off the engine power.

Hell, mine ran alot better after I unhooked the EGR anyway, also no longer smokes the way it did on hard acceleration. My state does not inspect Diesels for exhaust emissions.

I would reccommend that you try this, but only if your state does not inspect for exhaust emissions. Doug T

·
Registered
389 Posts
banks makes an stinger intake and exhaust have had mine for almost ten years

www.bankspower.com

82 6.2 379,000 miles on original engine block,banks stinger system

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 lt/ 10 lug conversion,xde 245r 19.5 alcoa's,

afe,magnaflow,banks acutator,transynd,delvac 1,amsoil bypass

www.chromewheel.com/gallerypages/johntruck.htm

Edited by: tulsa1718

1 - 6 of 6 Posts