Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to increase fuel efficiency. I am getting ready to add a 4" exhaust and was also looking into Stage II air intakes. In the FAQ section I see they don't think they do anything except add the turbo noise. Do you all agree with this? If not, do you recommend any particular intake over the other? (AFE, K&N, etc.)

Thanks for all your help.

Brent

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I like mine.... VOLANT.

See my garage for some photos:

<----------------------

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm looking at a new intake option as well. I recently installed a 4" MBRP SS exhaust and had a Edge J/A installed a couple months ago. I'm a little leary though since my Service Rep at the Dealership said he has removed quite a few K&N filter setups on the Duramax. I realize that the two most important aspects will be getting air in, and getting exhaust out. Any advice?

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's been proven that the stock paper element filters better than most or any of the aftermarket filters.

Mine's staying stock.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have the AFE Stage 2 with the Pro-Guard 7 filter. Whistles like a SOB and when i cleaned filter i wiped tube with white cloth and no dirt.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I am trying to increase fuel efficiency. I am getting ready to add a 4" exhaust and was also looking into Stage II air intakes. In the FAQ section I see they don't think they do anything except add the turbo noise. Do you all agree with this?
Yes I agree. With qualification

If you want fuel efficiency, there are gains to be had in the summer with a CAI, but mostly towing. Otherwise, no. (that's the honest answer). I would not go with the usual suspects, there is a lot of misrepresentation, smoke and mirrors. Stage 2? Universal studios.

I have tested a few of the supposed cold air intakes, then did my own.

Look at the project in my sig from last year.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I suggest going with the AFE Stage 2 air intake system with the Pro Guard 7 filter. It comes with the maximum sized box and intake tube for the most flow possible and you get the awesome filtering of the best air filter out there with the Pro Guard 7 filter. This filter has 5 layers of medical grade gauze in between 2 layers of aluminum screen, and has very deep pleats to catch everything that you do not want going into the motor. You can also add a pre filter if your in very dusty environments as well.

Check it out and let me know if there is anything I can help you with. We offer several options.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a CAI that uses the stock air box. My usual driving is in our small town under 35 mph and in the winter,the engine will not get to operating temp. I have been avg. 15-17mpg in town empty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the TRUE-FLOW system. I like it because it uses the stock box,so it's a closed system & quiet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a Green CAI
I would save my money and run stock if I had it to do again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.