Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Meant to say it hasn't started and stayed going yet today.

Tried the jerry can. Maybe my lift pump is done because there's some fuel in the line but not much. And there's nothing at the fuel filter at all now. Interesting that the return line still has fuel in it. Getting dark now. Try again in the morning.

Did I say that this is really annoying.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Well she started and stayed going yet today. After finding one leak and replacing that line I still had problems. Noticed fuel in the frame channel so bypassed all the steel line from lift pump to as close to the tank as I could get. Very little fuel came out of the steel line when I cut it. Put some clear line on and cranked it 4 or 5 times. Barely any fuel in the line. I'm going to try to get it started with a 5 gallon jerry can.

The really weird thing is that when I try to start it there is more air than fuel going through the return, but when it was running yesterday there was very little air in the return line.

this is really annoying.
try unplugging your advance on the IP..... and maybe upgrade to a electric lift pump.... princess sells them for like 70.00..... and redo all the lines in good rubber, double clamped.... i would look at dropping the tank too... maybe the sender lines are rotted and pulling air...

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
try unplugging your advance on the IP..... and maybe upgrade to a electric lift pump.... princess sells them for like 70.00..... and redo all the lines in good rubber, double clamped.... i would look at dropping the tank too... maybe the sender lines are rotted and pulling air...
If you mean light load advance that hasn't been functioning since I broke the wire at the sensor last year when I was replacing an injector. I've bypassed the fuel tank at the moment and the hose from the jerry can to the fuel pump is new clear line. I have a temporary electric pump in line but I've lost the alligator clips to try using it. I'm going to try that first thing in the morning, I forgot it was there until I had given up for the night. If that won't draw fuel from the jerry can a cigarette may get left near a puddle of fuel.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
If you mean light load advance that hasn't been functioning since I broke the wire at the sensor last year when I was replacing an injector. I've bypassed the fuel tank at the moment and the hose from the jerry can to the fuel pump is new clear line. I have a temporary electric pump in line but I've lost the alligator clips to try using it. I'm going to try that first thing in the morning, I forgot it was there until I had given up for the night. If that won't draw fuel from the jerry can a cigarette may get left near a puddle of fuel.

:stick_out:break: quitter...LMFAO.....:)

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And there are lots of puddles, clear oily puddles, black puddles, red puddles. No green puddles tho. Now that I say that my rad will blow on me once the ***** is started. It's funny. A month ago a guy was walking past my truck while I was taking a break and asked me what year the truck was, Oh '87 huh and still reliable huh? I said yeah not too bad. Guess what started happening a few days later.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lack of progress report. Electric pump wouldn't draw fuel. it partially fills the clear line then won't draw anymore. I put a finger on the suction side and I can feel a bit of suction but not much. Tried to gravity feed. That wasn't working either. Enough to fill the filter but that's about it. Removed the mechanical fuel pump, looks fine, and when I cover the suction end with my thumb and push the lever I can feel some suction. Again though, not a lot.

Saw a drip come from the bottom of the filter base but there's been so much spilled fuel that I don't know if it's from the filter base or not. Regardless I still ahve to figure out why nothing will draw fuel.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Is this from a jug or the tank?

Both pumps bad?
Jug and tank both. I;m almost certain that my mech pump is bad but it's passed the air bleed test when it was running. Air bleed open and good strong fuel flow, and no hesitation in the engine. Went and tested the electric fuel pump at my mechanics shop and it pumped a litre/quart of fuel in 30 secs. But that was flowing down and at home I'm flowing up so I thought maybe if I raised the fuel jug that would help, whoops some fuel sploshed out and got on the connections, bunch of sparks and smoke and melted wires. Pump is definitley bad now. So put the mechanical pump back on (what a joy) and bypassed the fuel filter using an inline filter but still no fuel flow. I'm stumped. Have a new mech fuel pump ordered for tomorrow morning. Cross my fingers.

I'm starting to think there were a few fuel problems and the last one was the straw that broke the camels back.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
took a look at a '90 with a decent body and 305 today. $800. It's very tempting. Park the old ***** and try to find a new body or something. Hard to justify the time for a truck that is such a piece of junk.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Buy the 1990 and stick the 6.2L in it! Itll give you a good chance to run all new fuel lines new wiring for the lift pump, etc. Good chance to start clean.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing. I wish I could be of more help

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry to hear you say that but I'm in the same boat.If it wasn't a 3/4 ton 4x4 I wouldn't bother.God knows I've spent enough on it to have bought something decent. But it sure is fun to drive when it works.
I wonder if the sock or whatever is on the pickup end of your fuel line, in the tank, is plugged.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm thinking of doing the swap into the '90 but it's a short box and I'm not a fan. Also it's a 1/2 ton and I like having the 3/4. My mechanic has a an '88 3/4 4x4 that he isn't driving. 305. It needs an exhaust though. If I bought the 1/2 ton it would just be to get me through the winter and to a more profitable time of year.

Yeah I've spent enough on it so far it seems nuts to stop. The sock may be plugged but that still doesn't explain why I can't suck fuel out of a pail.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The 1/2 ton could be fixed.. Its the short bed thats the problems. The only short bed I want is in a off road rig.
I'm gonna do some serious thinking to try and help you figure out whats wrong..

Did you try a new fuel filter and fuel lines? Maybe now would be a good time to swap a spin on filter?

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My thinking at the moment is this.

1. Failing fuel pump. It does work some tho cause I put my finger over the suction side and pumped the lever a few times and got some suction. Not sure of why I can`t suck fuel out of a pail even with the damned electric pump. That`s just weird

2. Leaking fuel filter. When I think about it, the problem got a lot worse after replacing the FF a few weeks ago. Also it took a LONG time to get the truck going after the filter change. Then I had a no start the next day. I've felt fuel at the bottom seam but there's been fuel everywhere in the last few days.

3. Various pin holes in the supply line. I found one hole that was under a zip tie that was holding a return line to a supply line. Also fond some a clean area of fuel line along the frame rail. Nothings clean on this truck. Don`t know if there was a leak or not but I cut the line as close to the tank as I could get. Lots of old dirt where I cut so no fuel leaking in that area or above.

4. Possible problem with the pickup tube, that one I`m not so sure about though since when it`s running it runs with very little air then without warning there`s huge air and stall then no start.

5. My disintegrated cab mounts make the cab crush part of the pick up tube soft line. Don`t know if this is possible but the no starts have been mostly when parked with the pass side up on a snowbank. Surging has been most common when making turns, both conditions that make the cab move around.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
Dang that thing is fighting ya, odd you can't get pumps to work from a jug.
When you get the new pump, I would try to get it running from the jug then
hook it back up to the tank.

I'm wondering if you've got a collapsed rubber line some where, I saw the post where you replaced the line as far back as you could.

But the bit about the cab possibly the line would grab my attention, what about a block of wood to hold the cab up?

Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
Change your fuel lines over to pushlok. You won't be sorry. I use the stuff on everything and it works great.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Definitely going to get it running from a jug first. Make sure it runs like that with no air then hook it back up to the tank and see what changes.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
Change your fuel lines over to pushlok. You won't be sorry. I use the stuff on everything and it works great.

Aces gonna need some elaboration on the pushlok.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did you mechanically actuate the mechanical-style lift pump? I've found those fuel pumps tend to not suck too much when they don't have an engine actually driving them, leading to me questioning whether they really work or not when I move the rod manually. And an electric fuel pump could very well be dying or have a sealing problem leading to poor suction, seen that too.

This thing sure is fighting you though! Have you blown out the lines back to the tank to eliminate any potential debris in them? You can always try pressurizing again, I had to do it twice to find all my leaks.

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
Aces gonna need some elaboration on the pushlok.
I don't wanna hi jack. It's a type of hose specifically for fuel. It's barrier hose. The stuff works really well on diesels.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts