Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have read all the air horn threads and just have a couple of questions left. I have decided on the Grover Stuutertone horn (train horns aren't my thing, I just want to be heard especially when pulling the 5th wheel). My question is this. I have seen some talk of putting in a toggle switch which would allow the regular horn pad on the steering wheel to control either the regular horns or the air horn. I kind of like that idea but would like your feedback and suggestions. The other is to just mount the air horn switch somplace and use it as needed. I am interested in your suggestions as to placement of that switch. One place I have thought of is the bottom of the kick panel on the left side of the dash but am not sure I want to be reaching around, taking one hand off the wheel, and groping for the switch if someone is drifting into my lane or cutting me off. I would like your opinions. Love the forum and all of the information.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ive got a switch like the tractors do. Ill be installing that as soon as it warms up. I think a seperate switch would be a pain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry when I was living on a small farm when I was young we were too poor to have a tractor so you will have to explain that to me.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sorry when i said tractor I ment semi truck(tractor trailer) They have pull cords above you. YOu pull down Its a very simple switch(valve).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I don't really want to have to do that much plumbing etc. Actually, I won't be doing any of it, my arthritic hands and old body can't handle it so I will have to have it done but I really want the horn. We had them on the fire apparatus and chief's sedan's and they are really effective in getting people to wake up and get out of the way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can easily wire up an accessory relay that will allow you to use the horn button for the stock or air horn :)

That's what I did with my daily beater and my train horns:cool:

Here's a short video of my switch panel and how it works with the horn button:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1536814171514910822&q=98+SNAKE+EATER

I've since added another set of horns, so likewise, I've added another switch and relay:cool:

My main reason for doing this was so I didn't have to go hunting for a button in a panic situation....

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh yeah, another option I've been pondering is a foot switch mounted behind the top of the dead pedal :)

Out of sight, but still within easy reach during a panic situation :cool:

Rick

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I am putting my foot switch on the kick panel.

dt,

Where were you on the job? You could always get a surplus foot pedal like the ones Federal uses for the Q2B, or wire up an auxiliary horn button (like the old style ones mounted on the steering wheel (available @ local auto parts). to the kick panel like I am going to do.

Where are you mounting the Stuttertones? At 2 feet long they are not easily concealed. I am using 2 Federal PA 100 speakers behind the bumper/air intake wired to a Code 3 siren head that only has Air Horns enabled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dully, I was the Director of Systems for LAFD. I like the idea of the foot switch and will look around for one. From the threads on this forum it looks like there is room behind the front bumper for the horn and the compressor and tank seem to fit along the frame rail under the passenger side. Do your electric horns sound like air horns? We didn't have them on our sets, just the wail and yelp.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
More like a real loud Buzz like when you answer a question wrong on a game show...the coppers have them ;)

I have seen some pics of the horns mounted behind the front bumper, but it must point either to the passenger or driver side, I think this will detract from the horn's effectiveness. And it may scare the pants off Jane Q. Citizen, the pedestrian next to your truck when you let her rip!

If you are still hooked with LAFD, I would make a call to see if there are any wrecked apparatus with the Federal switch that are going to be 'excessed', you may be able to score the switch on the cheap (it retails for $40.00). The horn button I got from Pep Boys was about $2.50...but I am still waiting for that wrecked/surplussed rig.

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You'll be very happy with the Grover Stuttertone up behind the front bumper. I installed mine last year on a separate intermittent switch (regular horn is hooked to alarm) which is located under the dash just to the right of my right knee. Easy to get to, but out of the way. I am using an electric valve instead of an air-actuated one. Less plumbing.

The horn is loud and very obnoxious. It will command attention in any situation. Train horns, while fun, are almost TOO loud. They make the sound come from all directions at once and just confuse instead of letting people know where the noise is coming from so they can get out of the way. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dually, Your right, it would be better if it faced forward but there is apparantly no room to do that. I also agree about not using this around pedestrians. This is strictly for the highway and is also why train horn aren't for me. I'm not trying to send someone into abnormal rythyms or peel paint.

·
Registered
204 Posts
here's what i did

My compressor is mounted in my toolbox. The horns are on the frame rail in front of the air tank. They're a 15" and a 13" and they are friggen loud! I like to tone also....not too deep like the long ones, but not high pitched either....i'd hum it to ya but i don't think that'll work. I have a short bed so a longer horn probably would have been a pain to make fit. There's a 1" or so hole in the frame rail there so i centered the air inlet of the horn over it and mounted it there. Then i screwed the solenoid into the horn, through the rail. They say get the solenoid or valve as close to the horn to get rid of any chance of delay, so i just screwed the damn thing right into the horn itself. I modded my cupholders by raising them to seat level a long time ago...there's a thread somewhere around here with what i did but the pics aren't working anymore, but anyway, the button is the horn, the next switch is a kill for the compressor in case i ever spring a leak, so the pump won't run all day long. It still comes on at low pressure and shuts off at 100psi, but only when i have the switch on. The switch just interupts the ground for the compressor. Here's some pics for ya.

http://home.comcast.net/~sk816/truck/DSC00696.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~sk816/truck/DSC00697.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~sk816/truck/DSC00698.JPG

-mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mike, nice installation. I have a LT2 model and it seems like there should be lots of room under the console along the side for switches and such but I have no idea how easy or tough it is to get access to that area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts