Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was minding my own business while doing a tree estimate for a customer and my cell phone rang. It was Ken from TESTAND CORP. in Rhode Island. He was calling to tell me he was prepared to do the comparitive study for us!!!!

I rubbed my eyes and wondered if I was dreaming!!!! TESTAND CORP. makes the test stands for all ISO and SAE air, oil filter tests! These are $285,000 machines!!! The results will be definitive and absolute. There will be no issues of humidity, human error or bias!!! My days of testing filters are over!

I got Ken really interesed in what we were doing when I called him for help. He offered a lot of advice but nothing substitutes for the real deal!! Ken is a Ford PSD owner and is as enthusiastic as I am to get REAL data!!! Now he is offering to do the real deal for us!!! All he needs is the filters.

I have some, but not enough brands. Ken will test anything EXCEPT Fram, since there would be a conflict of interest. I will contact UMP. I have AC Delco, UNI and Amsoil. We will need a K&N and any other filter we wish to test.

Time is of the essence since he will have a fully functional machine at his disposal for only a month or so. PLEASE reply or PM me for details. Most filters will be sent directly to TESTAND Corp. in Rhode Island to avoid shipping delay.

Here is our opportunity!!!! Let's get any and all brands for comparison!!! These will be COMPLETE ISO 5011/SAE J726 tests!! Flow restriction, efficiency, and on and on!!! SPICEREdited by: SPICER

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
SPICER,

Curious, why is there a conflict of interest concerning Fram and Ken?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SteveNorCal said:

SPICER,

Curious, why is there a conflict of interest concerning Fram and Ken?
It sounds like Testand supplies Fram with all of their test stands. I think He wants to avoid stepping on toes and creating a problem with one of his closer clients. I don't know all the details and relationships. I don't want to bite the hand that feeds us.

What will be needed is filters for testing. I have a bunch of filters loaned to me. I will need to find out if these individual filters should be used. The problem is that a filter tested in an ISO/SAE test is essentially no good after testing since it is loaded with test dust. I don't want to send filters loaned to me unless those who lent them are OK with never getting them back. Kind of a donation to science!

The UNI I have has been run several days on my test stand and we probably should send a new one. I have a brand new Amsoil and OE AC Delco that I will send. I will also send a used OE and K&N. Ken is interested in used filters also to compare efficiency with some use and miles. Please if you are interested please get in touch with me. SPICER

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
ooops, that should have been a PM. Edited by: WanaDmxsub

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have my old standard blue AFE if you want it....

It is used and has about 3K of use.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few PM's to respond to. Some offers for test filters!!!! Perfect!!!. Any filter tested in THIS FASHION will be useless after testing. Any filters already donated from the past can be returned to sender or used for the test also.

I woke up this morning still not believing the offer. Typically a single filter test by an independent ISO/SAE tester is around $1500. He is offering free for the sake of science and research. It would be nice to get a representative sample from AS MANY manufacturers as possible!! Gotta Go for now!!! I had no intentions of doing anything with this until fall, but opportunity knocks!!! SPICER

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cliff from UMP just called and will offer filters for testing. These will be sent directly to Testand Corp. in Rhode Island. Thanks Cliff!!!!

I will probably hit the local auto parts stores and pick up some Napa and others to send. I would like to test a Baldwin filter for the Duramax. Anybody know how to get one? Any other filter to be tested would be great. Only need the media, not the housing or piping like on the AFE's. SPICER

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jbplock is contacting WIX and Baldwin for filters. Thanks!!!! Just an update, thanks for all the help!!! Still need a new K&N and AFE filter elements (no intake tubes or filter housing needed). SPICER

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Spicer,

This is great!!

I have a new Baldwin I can send. I also have a K&N used once and cleaned and a UNI used once and cleaned. If you can use any or all of these PM me the details.

Thanks,Tommy

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a bear said:
Spicer,

This is great!!

I have a new Baldwin I can send. I also have a K&N used once and cleaned and a UNI used once and cleaned. If you can use any or all of these PM me the details.

Thanks,Tommy
abear, stand-by for further info. jbplock is doing some leg work with the Baldwin air filter. All filters must be new and fit our truck or the Ford PSD. We may send a couple of used ones but #of miles needs to be documented. I believe he plans to run re-useable filters new, then clean and re-oil according to instructions and re-run the test. This would simulate a "used " filter. I do want to send a few disposable paper filters with some miles on them to compare filtering efficiencies. It is pretty well accepted that paper filters better with age. Hopefully we will see evidence of that. I may pull mine out of the truck and send it for that matter. It is OE AC Delco paper.

Anyway this ball is rolling pretty quick. I want as many brands as possible to be tested. I may purchase some on my own if I must and solicit donations to help. We will see, hopefully enough offers will come through. I have never seen an AFE but I want it tested also. Just need the element. I will be in touch with all that have offered help! SPICER

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tommy,

I'll contact Baldwin and WIX on Monday to see if they are interested in donating filters for the study... I'll post details when I know more. If they are’nt interested I'll purchase & donate a WIX to go with your Baldwin (?).

This is a great opportunity!! Many thanks to Spicer and Ken at Testand for arranging this test!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jbplock said:
Tommy,

I'll contact Baldwin and WIX on Monday to see if they are interested in donating filters for the study... I'll post details when I know more. If they are’nt interested I'll purchase & donate a WIX to go with your Baldwin (?).

This is a great opportunity!! Many thanks to Spicer and Ken at Testand for arranging this test!

jbplock, I was just about to PM you with this very suggestion. Good thinking! OK, here is the current list of filters to be sent:

1) Used OE AC Delco w/ 25k donated by FishHog

2) New OE AC Delco donated by Bronco

3) Used K&N 17k miles, cleaned 1k miles ago, donated by Bronco

4) New Napa/Wix donated by flhrciblueice.

5) Used Amsoil, older style 10k miles cleaned once and re-oiled from habanero.

6) New Amsoil with oil donated by Kent Tuttle.

7) Used UNI w/ 15k miled never serviced from Eric Merchant.

8) A mystery bargain filter, no brand name, fits our airbox, probably for the gasser engine. from flhrciblueice.

Others on the way from Diesel Power, jbplock, WanaDmaxSub and others. Main items needed include NEW K&N with recharge kit, New UNI, New Baldwin, New UMP.

All but the New K&N have probable donators. I have a AFE 54 series coming from Tulsa 1718. This is not the proguard 7. I assume the proguard 7 is the latest from AFE. We certainly would like to see one of these offered up for the sake of truth and science. Thanks to all for the help!!! SPICER

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will be glad to send you a well used Baldwin filter.
I replace it when the gauge goes in the red, usually after about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dutch said:
2000 miles? Are you driving exclusively through dust storms? SPICER

·
Registered
192 Posts
SPICER said:
dutch said:
2000 miles? Are you driving exclusively through dust storms? SPICER

Lots of dirt road driving and thru dusty fields. The way the air inlet is designed any dirt kicked up by the front wheel gets sucked in the air filter.
I am not kidding. We run 4 of these trucks and all require the airfilters to be changed around 2000 miles.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Spicer and Jbplock,

If WIX will not supply the filter, I have some new ones I can send. Just let me know.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flhrciblueice, is the WIX the same as the NAPA? You sent me one but it looks a little faded in the middle of the media, like it was sitting on a shelf for a long time. I went to NAPA and looked at another. It was the same as the one you sent but a little darker orange. I think we should send a "fresh" one. It is a $1500 test, so why skimp on the filter?

You also sent me those mystery bargain filters. They have the label covered on the side. Do you remember the details on those filters? What brand? I plan to include them in the test, but would like more details first.

dutch, if they are all used up and showing red then they would be no good for the test. I want to test used ones (10-25k on the road) to compare efficiencies between new and used. It is a common belief that paper gets better with dirt loading. You should check out uniquemetalproducts.com. They sell a filter and housing for your application. SPICER

·
Registered
663 Posts
flhrciblueice said:
Spicer and Jbplock,

If WIX will not supply the filter, I have some new ones I can send. Just let me know.
flhrciblueice,
I called WIX and they declined to supply a filter so if you would like to donate a WIX just send a PM to Spicer (or I) for the mailing address.

I also called Baldwin and left a message with their air filter guy.

In the mean time I ordered a Fleetguard AF25948 filter and had it shipped directly to Ken from TestStand.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jbplock said:
flhrciblueice said:
Spicer and Jbplock,

flhrciblueice,
I called WIX and they declined to supply a filter so if you would like to donate a WIX just send a PM to Spicer (or I) for the mailing address.

I also called Baldwin and left a message with their air filter guy.

In the mean time I ordered a Fleetguard AF25948 filter and had it shipped directly to Ken from TestStand.

Wow, thanks for stepping up to the plate! I have an offer for an AFE Proguard 7 on my PM. I will update when the offer comes through for sure.

If Baldwin declines they are pretty inexpensive. I have an offer as well from a member.

Can anyone think of any filters missing? I still need a new K&N. I was also wondering if Donaldson made a filter that fit our airbox. SPICER

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
flhrciblueice said:
Spicer and Jbplock,

If WIX will not supply the filter, I have some new ones I can send.  Just let me know.
flhrciblueice, Is the WIX filter that you have the regular NAPA filter? The one you sent me previously is the NAPA Gold (looks orange in color) vs. the regular NAPA filter which is plain paper.

I want to ship all my filters in the morning but I may wait until Wed. if I need to pick up any more filters.

On Edit: I just called a couple of local retailers. The K$N (I did the $ on purpose) is $55. The recharge kit is $10. This store also has Purolator. Is Purolator the same as any other filter, just renamed? I don't want to send any duplicates. The Purolator is $18.
I also called Napa. The ONLY Napa filter for the Duramax is the Napa Gold for $10.49. They do not make the Napa Silver (plain paper) for the Duramax.

Given the opportunity at hand and the fact that the machine and the offer is only available for about 30 days, I may have to buy a couple more filters myself like the K&N. The test would not be complete without the K&N being a part of it.
Please if you intend to help by sending filters let's please do it right away. I want to be fair to Ken at Testand Corp. and give him as much time as possible to complete this big task. Thanks Again to everyone who is helping.
SPICEREdited by: SPICER

1 - 20 of 412 Posts