Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I upgrade the air filter on my '95 3500 from the rectangle filter to the later model round filter. If so what parts do I need to scrounge up? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i used a sch 30 street 90 and clamped the socket end in to the rubber boot comming from the turbo and then clamped the street end on to a k&n filter then took a piece of sheet metal wrapped it around the filter and screwd it to the fender works great and cost was free for me seeing as im a plumber all i did was purchase the k&n if you would like a pic PM me hopefully i explained it so its understandable

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
here the pics i dont usally run my truck with the sheet metal but put it back on to show every one my idea i originaly thouht it used a sch 30 street 90 but i used 2 sch 30 st 45's its a little longer of a sweep

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
WHere's all that oil coming from on the turbo? My 94 was similiar until i discovered a 2" split under my clamp.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
clue less never really looked into it guess i should my luck it wouldnt be as simple as the clamp it uses almost 2 quarts between oil changes and i think that is accepable

·
Registered
189 Posts
Where are you routing your blowby hose coming from the valve cover? I see it's not attached to the turbo intake. Oh yeah, how much performance and milage improvement did you see after this mod? And one more question....Did it make your turbo sound like a jet engine? (I hope so):ro)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Where are you routing your blowby hose coming from the valve cover? I see it's not attached to the turbo intake. Oh yeah, how much performance and milage improvement did you see after this mod? And one more question....Did it make your turbo sound like a jet engine? (I hope so):ro)
i am routing the blow by hose down to the ground i originaly did that when i had the K&N clamped right to the turbo but since modified that and just left the hose i dont see it being a problem though it looks weird walking up to the front of the truck and seeing smoke comming from next to the tire

as for mileage never checked before but now im getting 14 mixed driving with a somewhat heavy foot and perfomace i did notice a slight improvment worth doing in my opinon the turbo whine was much more noticable after i modifiyed the intake never noticed it much before and im running a straight pipe with flowmaster X-over and dpipe i had a 99 6.5 td with the same mods and the turbo screamed sounded great i dont understand why this one isnt doing the same i have 10psi peak boost i attribute it to the different style turbo on my 93 vs my 99 turbo

·
Registered
471 Posts
here the pics i dont usally run my truck with the sheet metal but put it back on to show every one my idea i originaly thouht it used a sch 30 street 90 but i used 2 sch 30 st 45's its a little longer of a sweep
What K&N model number filter is that?
Did you pull the intake guts out of that fender?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What K&N model number filter is that?
Did you pull the intake guts out of that fender?

i have no idea what the K&N # is i went to auto zone and looked it up in the book sorry i dont know it

yea i pulled the snorkle out i was originaly using the stock box with the snorkle removed then when i upgraded to the K&N never bothered to put it back i have done this to both of my trucks and havent had any problems

·
Registered
471 Posts
i have no idea what the K&N # is i went to auto zone and looked it up in the book sorry i dont know it

yea i pulled the snorkle out i was originaly using the stock box with the snorkle removed then when i upgraded to the K&N never bothered to put it back i have done this to both of my trucks and havent had any problems
Okay, What model truck did you use to look it up?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i belive 97 and newer had the round elements i used my 99 6.5 td burban for reference

·
Registered
471 Posts
i belive 97 and newer had the round elements i used my 99 6.5 td burban for reference
I'll check it out.
btw, you don't have that burban in your signature

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new to diesels so please tell me what the advantage is to convert from a rectangle air box to the newer model round ones?

Thank you for the information.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
The round filter has more surface area, so it will suck more air than a flat panel. I would just go with a round filter or a cone shaped filter without the airbox. My round filter (98) box i took off and drilled it full of holes, just until i get my "F" flash, then it is out of there, as well as the MAF and the vac pump. When i get rid of it i will put it in the FS section.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can I upgrade the air filter on my '95 3500 from the rectangle filter to the later model round filter. If so what parts do I need to scrounge up?
Yes, its a very easy swap. You need the complete air box and all the plastic & rubber tubes/hoses from the air cleaner to the turbo. I strongly recommend installing the silencer tube, unless you like a lot of intake noise. Its amazing how much quieter it is with the tube. You will have to fab a small bracket for it, but its very simple to make. All the mounting holes for the air box were in my 95. The benefit I see is it seals much better than the plate filter. I run a K&N and my oil analysis reports show excellent filtering.
Before

After, without the silencer tube

And with the tube

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes, its a very easy swap. You need the complete air box and all the plastic & rubber tubes/hoses from the air cleaner to the turbo. I strongly recommend installing the silencer tube, unless you like a lot of intake noise. Its amazing how much quieter it is with the tube. You will have to fab a small bracket for it, but its very simple to make. All the mounting holes for the air box were in my 95. The benefit I see is it seals much better than the plate filter. I run a K&N and my oil analysis reports show excellent filtering.
Before

After, without the silencer tube

And with the tube
Where did you get that box?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts