Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep.

Story of my life these last few weeks. while helping my brother with a no-start problem with his Dodge Neon, we ran up to the local library, where they have an ALLDATA account for a schematic of the fuel pump circuit.

We come out and I start the truck and I hear a horrible belt squealing noise. I immediatly shut down, and pop the hood. I have my brother start it back up and wouldn't you know it, the freaking A/C compresser clutch is locked up. The pulley is sitting at a slight angle so I know the bearing had a come-apart.

Just freaking wonderfull.:mad:

Autozone wants $105 for the clutch and coil, and $139 for the whole compressor with clutch installed. Hmmm. Seing how I have never messed with an A/C clutch in my life, I opt for the whole compressor.

I planned to vent the r134, but my guages showed zero pressure. I must have a leak somewhere, as the system is already empty. Took 15 minutes to change the compressor, in a lovely snow storm. I guess this means I will pop the heater core in July.

in the past 5 weekends, I replaced a brake line, water pump and thermostat on my sons oldsmobile, thermostat on my brother in laws lumina (5 hour job, have to remove upper intake and throttle body), brakes on my neices honda, brakes on the wifes saturn and no-start on my brothers neon.

I swear, next weekend, I AM NOT TOUCHING A WRENCH! I dont care who's $hit is messed up!

Tim

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Did your old compressor still turn the "shaft" not the clutch, I ask because "if" it is siezed up, and you had no freon in the system it is possible that there is little to no oil in the system, and if that is the case you could be changing the compressor again.
also if it was siezed there are likely pieces of crap floating around in there.
Did you replace the "small screen" that is in the ac ine?
Also if you do not want the AC to cycle in the winter DO NOT USE YOUR DEFROST, because when in defrost mode the AC will cycle the compressor. or you could unplug the wire at the clutch to keep the compressor from pumping

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Yep.

Story of my life these last few weeks. while helping my brother with a no-start problem with his Dodge Neon, we ran up to the local library, where they have an ALLDATA account for a schematic of the fuel pump circuit.

We come out and I start the truck and I hear a horrible belt squealing noise. I immediatly shut down, and pop the hood. I have my brother start it back up and wouldn't you know it, the freaking A/C compresser clutch is locked up. The pulley is sitting at a slight angle so I know the bearing had a come-apart.

Just freaking wonderfull.:mad:

Autozone wants $105 for the clutch and coil, and $139 for the whole compressor with clutch installed. Hmmm. Seing how I have never messed with an A/C clutch in my life, I opt for the whole compressor.

I planned to vent the r134, but my guages showed zero pressure. I must have a leak somewhere, as the system is already empty. Took 15 minutes to change the compressor, in a lovely snow storm. I guess this means I will pop the heater core in July.

in the past 5 weekends, I replaced a brake line, water pump and thermostat on my sons oldsmobile, thermostat on my brother in laws lumina (5 hour job, have to remove upper intake and throttle body), brakes on my neices honda, brakes on the wifes saturn and no-start on my brothers neon.

I swear, next weekend, I AM NOT TOUCHING A WRENCH! I dont care who's $hit is messed up!

Tim

Oh come on now. It's not that bad...just think about all the money you've saved by not paying for labor. When everything hits at once, you get all your repairs out of the way.:grd:

;)

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did your old compressor still turn the "shaft" not the clutch, I ask because "if" it is siezed up, and you had no freon in the system it is possible that there is little to no oil in the system, and if that is the case you could be changing the compressor again.
also if it was siezed there are likely pieces of crap floating around in there.
Did you replace the "small screen" that is in the ac ine?
Also if you do not want the AC to cycle in the winter DO NOT USE YOUR DEFROST, because when in defrost mode the AC will cycle the compressor. or you could unplug the wire at the clutch to keep the compressor from pumping
No, the compressor was not locked, it was definatly the clutch. I purposly dont use the full defrost cycle just to save running the compressor (half defrost and half floorboards will not run compressor)

Tim

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
No, the compressor was not locked, it was definatly the clutch. I purposly dont use the full defrost cycle just to save running the compressor (half defrost and half floorboards will not run compressor)

Tim
On mine it cycles on the 1/2floor 1/2 defrost setting

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Did you add oil to the compressor? Do you have a/c gauges? If so, you can do a poor boy evacuation of the system by using your engine vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system, pull it down to a minimum of 20 inches and hold it for about 30 minutes. Close valves and see if your system holds the vacuum. If it does, charge it up. Also, before you do any of this, I would replace the orfice tube and the receiver dryer.;)

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
its actually helpful to cycle the a/c once in awhile during the winter, it helps keep everything lubed and not leaking in the system.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
True

its actually helpful to cycle the a/c once in awhile during the winter, it helps keep everything lubed and not leaking in the system.
This is true...but if the AC system has issues, ie. no freon/low to no oil. then it is better not to cycle it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts