Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took it in anyway and found out that the factory besides not filling all the fluids when the build a truck they also do not fill the air conditioning unit. It was blowing 70 degrees at 85 ambient now blows 49...I'll take that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know for home ACs the temperature drop across the cooling coil is less than 30 degrees - any more and condensation will freeze and block airflow; Compressor will be damaged.

I am not too concerned about how much it drops temp of outside air - I care about capacity to cool down cab while recirculating the cab air. Doesn't sound like capacity is sufficient for the dmax and a new updated component coming out will fix issue.

A friend of mine who does AC for a living told me to think about AC as something that removes heat from space - not cooling air. It removes the heat at a given rate and you can't cool down a space immediately (house has tons of flooring sheetrock, etc.).

- jeffEdited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stealer vacuumed out the system and reinstalled the propoer amount of freon ( he said it was low from factory) and this thing now blows so cold it hurts. Before he did this it just NEVEr did get cool enough, looks like this is a first for me, the stealer actually did a good job.
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/ac_troubleshooting.htm

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is a problem with the AC in a lot of the Duramax equiped pickups. GM is supposed to be comming out with e TSB that has a new part number for the accumulator. GMCSID posted the information here A/C Insufficient cooling problem I was talking to my local service manager today and he is still wating for the TSB!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would almost be afraid to go back for the TSB. You know how it is letting someone fix something that ain’t broke. Right now I live in the Desert, and it already has been over 100 and just by "filling" it up brought the temp down 20 degrees out of the vent.
I'll wait for the TSB and see what happens, but for now, it is one of the better air conditioners I have had.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Kendall69, Mine will keep it cool in the cab while driving on highway, the problem I am having is short trips like to the store. My wife has a 2003 Tahoe, and driving it around town on a hot day it will freeze you out unless you set the temp to 68 to 70. On the Duramax I have to keep the setting as cool as I can to just cool it a little. This is on a 90 degree day.Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I had the same problem and dealer telling me it was normal. After calling the 800 customer service number while standing at the service writers desk they eneded up changing the orifice in the system and actually lowering the pressure in the system. Lowering the pressure didn't make sense to me but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The result was a much better A/C system. I think it can be better, as soon as the TSB comes out... I'm there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BIGMoe, Mine was doing the same exact thing and I found out what it was, LOW freon. The tech said it was low, put more in and like I said my system hurts it's so cold. I was testing it with the same digital meat thermometer going in and coming from the dealer. Same ambient temps same speed, same vent near the door, and it dropped 20 degrees. The dealer said he got it as low as 42 degree's I got 49 degree's and had to stop testing as my daughter was screaming it was too cold in the back seat.
Another bonus is that it gets cold VERY quickly when I start it up.
Do not take any crap from the dealer saying it's NORMAL, I thinks whats NORMAl i sthe way it's working now...cools down quick and gets ice cold , the more you drive.

For me I don't know what the TSB will do except produce frost out of the vents.
When the vehicle is traveling at freeway speeds, the compressor is pumping the Freon throughout the system much faster and harder than at idle. There is a dramatic increase in air flow across the condenser due to 55 mph winds, and the engine is usually operating at a cooler, more efficient temperature as well, thus allowing the air conditioning system to operate efficiently.

Note: An air conditioning system that is somewhat low on Freon can still feel comfortable at freeway speeds due to the added air flow across the condenser which can overcome the ill effects of slightly low Freon. Periodic air conditioning performance checks by your mechanic are the best way to keep the system in great shape.

·
Banned
394 Posts
mine blows about 45 all the time in hotter weather......i added a temp guage because i thought it was acting weird

·
Registered
600 Posts
The AC system in my 2003 is mediocre at best. My dealer said thats the way it is with the new freon. Once again it appears he is FOS. When the weather gets hot here (soon) I'll be making a trip to some other dealer in the big city for some honest service work on this AC, and my psychotic memory seat that has Alzheimers syndrome and can't remember where to go. I'll ask for the reflashes then, too. Oh, and I'll mention that my headliner (crew cab) is no longer sticking to the roof supports, anybody else experience that one? So far the trim is holding it from falling "LIKE A ROCK."

Grrrr.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Kendall69, The dealer has already checked the freon, it was a little low, they evacuated it and recharged, it got a little better, but still nothing compared to my wifes Tahoe. There was a TSB that told them to put a little less freon in. That didn't help!!! I guess I will have to wait for GM to get off their A$$ and send the dealers the right accumulators.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't that chap you @ss. I had the same problem with another vehicle FORD, and they swore up and down that they did it all, finally I did a search on the web and found out that a vacuum hose was pinched on that model so it didn't either close or open something all the way, so I showed the service manager the thread discussing it and he blew me off. Then I showed him in the driveway as I picked the vehicle up ( after they did their famous " could not duplicate problem") that the aiw was coming out of the vents at 78 degree's. Back in it went and they found and replaced the hose that I had found the solution to on the net.
Grrrrrrr.

Don't give up be a pain in the @ss also invest in a digital thermometor.
The other problem is that GM actually all the manufacturers have set the "SPEC" temps so high for a reason, when they can't fix a problem they can always say "see it's within SPEC. (96-105°F) 25°C (77°F)
How the heck are you going to cool off a truck with temps coming out at 77°F. Cmon.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Mine is bad too. On a hot day it blows 55 degrees after 20 minutes. It takes a good 15 mins to cool down the cab.

·
Registered
187 Posts
2fast2

My headliner isnt sticking to the roof either its been that way since i took delivery of the truck. Iam going to get it fixed while its still under warranty. My a/c wasn't blowing very cold either till the dealer sucked all the freon out & recharged with proper amount now its cold.

·
Registered
600 Posts
fishingn,

Funny how these trucks all have the same issues. Very consistent. Overall I love my D/A but there are some irritations. I base my expectations somewhat on the price, and at this price the vehicle should have better overall quality. I do believe that if Toyota or Lexus built this truck it wouldn't have so many little problems. But reality is Toyota doesn't build a REAL truck like this.

2fast2

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here you all are talking about air conditioning... I have never even used mine, so I can't tell you anything about it. Come on up here to Alaska and enjoy the cooler weather...
Just make sure the heating works...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
acehi, I'm from the Desert Southwest, we don't take off our parka's down here till ti hits 80. It was 100 last week and we had a cold front come in this week temps down to a bone chilling 85

·
Registered
817 Posts
Too much or too little FREON will cause poor AC performance. It has to do with thermodynamics and that class still gives me the cold sweats. Finding a good AC guy is much like finding a good DMAX tech, hard to do.

·
Registered
473 Posts
But until GM gets off their a$$, and gets the TSB for the new accumulator, it isn't going to make much differance. When something isn't designed right, I don't care how good a AC man is it is hard to get it to work right!!!!! GM has admitted there is a problem with the accumulator, now why don't they get a fix for it!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts