Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an air compressor for my garage. It'd only get use about once a week. Some of the ones I've used are so damn loud.

I'd like a some-what quiet one because I'll be working next to it.

Doesn't need to be fancy, like to keep it under $400.00 if possible, but if needed I'll go higher.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Hey Rob-- We had an old Thomas Industries air compressor for a while...then it seized up and I needed an air compressor fast. I went to Home Cheapo (im not allowed to go there or say that word cause my dad owns a retail lumber yard/building materials store:) ) and looked at the compressors they had. I actually was very impressed...they have their own "Husky" brand, but they are made in the USA, and I looked closely at the compressors and saw a little "CH" (campbell hausfeld) so that made me feel pretty good about them. They had one huge one that was 1700$ and then the one right below it was 879$ IIRC. 80 gallon tank, 5hp 230 volt motor (its a real 5hp, not a "peak" 5hp or junk like that), 175 PSI, good warentee, 2 stage, twin cylinder. So far we LOVE it. Its quiet and smooth, but defiently has a "refined rumble of presence" when it runs...like a 60 year old heavy cast iron piece of wood working machinery; I love the sound.:D Anyway, it runs every tool we have VERY easilly...I think its underrated. I couldnt ask for more air or a better price. Do check teh motor tho if you buy one at Home Cheapo. There were 5 of the same model there, 4 of them had a no-nam Brazillian made motor. Only one had an american Emerson motor..and I specifically asked for that one. Its a heavy bugger too...my dad and I had to take the motor off and separate the tank from the compressor to get it downstairs into our shop. I also had to wire a dedicated 30 amp 230 volt circuit for it...no regrets..great machine.

Ben

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ahh sorry Rob...I didnt see that it'd get used once a week. I didnt know how big a compressor you were looking for.

Id still reccomend a stationary compressor that is belt driven. The belt driven compressors run at a much lower speed and are very quiet. Also I would stay away from the craftsman oil-less compressors....those tend to be noisier. Any name brand should be fine. Ingersoll-Rand, Campbell Hausfeld etc... What are you going to be using the compressor for? Id reccomend a 2 stage compressor of at least 20 gallons or so if you are going to be running an impact wrench or spraying paint. Id maybe even check ebay for a used one. A good used name-brand USA made compressor will be better thana new compressor made in TAY-WANN :)

--Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Rob, the best I can give you is buy more compressor than you need. Mine set me back 1900+ with the mounting and such, but I'm never out of air. Of course, if you're not into painting and sandblasting, you probably can get away with a much smaller compressor than I can.
What tools do you plan on running?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Rob, the best I can give you is buy more compressor than you need. Mine set me back 1900+ with the mounting and such, but I'm never out of air. Of course, if you're not into painting and sandblasting, you probably can get away with a much smaller compressor than I can.
What tools do you plan on running?
:exactly: I completely agree Scott!!! Rob decide on a compressor, and then buy the next one above it. You will be kicking yourself if you are using a thirsty tool like an impact wrench (or paint spraying) and you're sitting around waiting for the compressor to recycle. A big tank and high tank pressure (I think ours come on at 125, shuts off at 175) is worth its weight in gold. I can change a set of tires with an impact wrench on my truck (take all 32 lugs off, and tighten them again) without the compressor even coming on.

Scott do you have a rotary compressor? or a big reciprocating compressor? Man 1900 clams...thats a good amount! 3 phase?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Look at the John Deere hood pic in my garage, Ben..The compressor is behind it..
7.5HP, 220V (nope, not 3 phase) 80 Gallon tank..4 Cylinder pump.
It ain't a CH, that's for sure..):h

·
Registered
648 Posts
Man, I need a 7.5 HP, 1Ph, 213T Frame motor for a used compressor I got on the cheap... (i.e. FREE!). Does anyone know of a place other than the Grainger's and McMaster-Carr's of the world to get such a beast?

(Already got a 5HP Saylor-Beale compressor w/60Gal so I'm not in a big hurry.)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
man that thing is a beast Scott!

dont pick on my CH!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
For what it's worth, I needed a compressor too, but I don't do anything that requires a ton of reserve air like spraying paint, so I bought a small Craftsman because I wanted it to be portable and couldn't afford more than $500.

For me, it works great...I don't use if every day by any means but when I do it's great. I have no problem running a 1/2" drive impact--I do run out of air when removing say 4 wheels on a truck, but let it build air for a minute and you're good to go.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I was just looking at compressors both at home depot and lowes.

HD had a Kobalt (Made in America with foreign components) 1.5 horse, 20 gallons, an impact wrench, an air hamer, a die grinder, and one more tool (tools were MIC) all for $250. I was suprised......

Is 1.5 horse way too little for this app?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just going to use 1/2" impact and rachet. Working on family vehicles, bikes, etc. and most importantly prepping for race day.

Not painting or blasting, but will buy a US product for sure.

Thanks guys:ro)

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I got the big 80 gallon unit from Craftsman to run my shop.. It does quite well even with running as much as we demand from it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Man, I need a 7.5 HP, 1Ph, 213T Frame motor for a used compressor I got on the cheap... (i.e. FREE!). Does anyone know of a place other than the Grainger's and McMaster-Carr's of the world to get such a beast?

(Already got a 5HP Saylor-Beale compressor w/60Gal so I'm not in a big hurry.)
Look for a motor rebuild shop in your town (or large town nearby). They might be able to find you a rebuilt one for cheaper then Grainger or MM-C).

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Just going to use 1/2" impact and rachet. Working on family vehicles, bikes, etc. and most importantly prepping for race day.

Not painting or blasting, but will buy a US product for sure.

Thanks guys:ro)
Sounds like your going to do about what I do with mine then, Rob. Mine is only 3 HP MAX, 1.6 "Running" HP with a 4 gallon tank.

I have no problems running a heavy-duty 1/2" impact at full torque. I guess another thing to keep in mind is if you're going to be running it with a generator at the races. Go much bigger than about 2 HP and it's going to take a pretty big generator to get the pump initially started.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
we have had an old 40 gallon belt drive 2hp single cylinder compresser that was old when dad got it gave to him back in the sixtys. runs slow think other than the oil in it I replaced the check valve. takes a little time to build up and I have it shut down at 120. but it just keeps chugging. my brother runs that sears cheepy direct drive. he bought it used for $150 the small tank gets it up to pressure fast. great for small job alittle air tool work thing gets hotter than a pistol . I think it is the oilless version. watch for a good used one from someone that is upgrading. put a add on the "wanted" section. For the little bit of sandblasting I do I use a attachment on my pressure washer. no dust.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sam's club has a Delta 6.5/80 Stationary for $767.47 Has anyone had any experience with this one?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Can you increase the CFM's of a compressor by changing the pulley size. If so which way do you go and which pulley do you change. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts