Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m in the market for a different air cleaner system. Right now I have a k&n open coned filter. Really like the sound of the turbo spooling up. But I really would like to get the intake air out of the engine compartment heat for the summer. Might be putting the k&n back on in the winter, really like that turbo sound :p. Any suggestions? Also do not have the plastic factory air duct In the fender well. Thanks Gus.

·
Administrator
15,934 Posts
Hi all, I’m in the market for a different air cleaner system. Right now I have a k&n open coned filter. Really like the sound of the turbo spooling up. But I really would like to get the intake air out of the engine compartment heat for the summer. Might be putting the k&n back on in the winter, really like that turbo sound :p. Any suggestions? Also do not have the plastic factory air duct In the fender well. Thanks Gus.
If you can locate a k47 air intake from a 97+ year chevy diesel you will be ahead of the game. There are gasser versions of the k47 but it will not work. It has to be from a Diesel
Otherwise the S & B CAI w/ dry filter is the secondary choice

·
Registered
123 Posts
Might want to watch this before running your K&N filter long term.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can locate a k47 air intake from a 97+ year chevy diesel you will be ahead of the game. There are gasser versions of the k47 but it will not work. It has to be from a Diesel
Otherwise the S & B CAI w/ dry filter is the secondary choice
[/

sounds good OK, what do you think of this one. You can put the flex hose anywhere.

1. K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems RC-5052AR
    K&N RC-5052AR - K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    • View All Media
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rc-5052ar_w.jpg?rep=False
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_pw.jpg?rep=True
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_ay.jpg?rep=True
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_rv.jpg?rep=True
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_su.jpg?rep=True
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_ry.jpg?rep=True
    • K&N Air Filter Intake Testing
    • Relentless
    • It's for You - K&N Filters
    • Air Intakes Overview
    $245.99

Add To Cart
    +Compare
    • Fast Shipping
    • Low Price Guarantee
    • Tech Advice
    • Easy Returns
    (1)Review This Product

Air Intake, Black Tube, Red Case, Universal, Kit
    Estimated Ship Date: 6/1/2020 (if ordered today)
    Would you rather pick it up? Select Location
    • Check Fit
    • This part is normally shipped directly from the manufacturer / Supplier.
    • Buy an Air Filter and get a FREE Filter Cleaning Kit!
    • Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight and oversize fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
    View Similar Products
    See parts for K&N
    K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Part Type:Air Intake Kits
    Application:Find out if this fits your application

• Save
    • Email
    Brand:K&N
    Manufacturer's Part Number:RC-5052AR
    Product Line:K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Summit Racing Part Number:KNN-RC-5052AR

UPC:024844113689
    Tube Color:Black
    Tube Material:plastic
    Air Intake Filter Material:Cotton gauze
    Sleeve Color:Black
    Quantity:Sold as a kit.
    Notes:Red case, 70mm base flange. Adapters sold separately. K&N adaptor hoses are available if the size of your original hose differs to the neck size on the Apollo, sizes are: 70mm-70mm (Part#85-6002), 70mm-60mm (Part#85-6003) & 70mm-80mm (Part#85-6001) stepped silicone adaptors.
    In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, NV, GA, TX) on our web site.
    K&N's APOLLO CIS is a universal "Cold Air Intake System". The Apollo's specially designed shape increases volumetric efficiency and is made of durable lightweight material for cooler air intake. The Apollo incorporates a K&N famous cotton gauze filter which is removable for periodic cleaning and provides the benefits of an open cone filter and standard air box in one unit. Heat buildup is reduced which keeps the intake charge cool. Smooth internal features minimize air turbulence and maximize air flow. The Apollo is ideal for normally aspired engines up to 250BHP and turbo engines up to 350BHP. It comes with a standard 70mm base flange with a range of optional stepped adapters available to allow fitment to other intake sizes.

•Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration
    •Includes injection-molded filter housing and cold air inlet
    •Washable and reusable lifetime air filter
    •High air flow with excellent filtration
    •Not legal for highway use in states adopting California emission regulations
    •Backed by K&N's 10 year/Million Mile Warranty
    Warranty
    Most Helpful ReviewsReview This Product
    1 Customer Reviews for K&N RC-5052AR - K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Average Customer Review
    5 Star

(0)
    4 Star

(0)
    3 Star

(0)
    2 Star

(0)
    1 Star

(1)
    +See All 1 Reviews
    Disappointment
    Summit Racing
    Summit Racing Verified Purchase
    KNN-RC-5052AR
    Sorry I was very disappointed in the product, it listed as a "Universal" Well it isn't! A 3" tube is far from a universal fit! It didn't come with any other fitment couplings! it won't fit my 4 1/2 " oval inlet or any other type SO Universal it is NOT! I would not Recommend this product to any one! I'd like my money back
    0 of 1 found this review helpful.
    Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    report abuse
    Reviewer: GEORGE from NJ
    Date: August 18, 2016
    Appearance

Ease of Installation

Price/Value

Quality

Questions & Answers
    Ask a Product Question
    There are no questions for this product.
    Some parts are not legal for use in California or other states with similar laws / regulations
    Back to Results
    You May Also Like
    Click here for more information about Spectre Performance 9981 - Spectre Performance Air Intake Systems
    Spectre Performance 9981 - Spectre Performance Air Intake Systems
    (10)
    $167.24
    View

·
Administrator
15,934 Posts

1. K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems RC-5052AR
    K&N RC-5052AR - K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems

• View All Media
    • https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rc-5052ar_w.jpg?rep=False

• https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_pw.jpg?rep=True

• https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_ay.jpg?rep=True

• https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_rv.jpg?rep=True

• https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_su.jpg?rep=True

• https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/knn-rf-1042xd_ry.jpg?rep=True

• K&N Air Filter Intake Testing

• Relentless

• It's for You - K&N Filters's for You - K&N Filters

• Air Intakes Overview
  2. $245.99

Add To Cart
    +Compare
    • Fast Shipping
    • Low Price Guarantee
    • Tech Advice
    • Easy Returns
  3. (1)Review This Product

Air Intake, Black Tube, Red Case, Universal, Kit
    Estimated Ship Date: 6/1/2020 (if ordered today)
    Would you rather pick it up? Select Location
    • Check Fit
    • This part is normally shipped directly from the manufacturer / Supplier.
    • Buy an Air Filter and get a FREE Filter Cleaning Kit!
    • Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight and oversize fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States.
    • Prop 65 Warning
  4. View Similar Products
    See parts for K&N
    K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Application:Find out if this fits your application
  5. Brand:K&N
    Manufacturer's Part Number:RC-5052AR
    Product Line:K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Summit Racing Part Number:KNN-RC-5052AR

UPC:024844113689
    Tube Color:Black
    Tube Material:plastic
    Air Intake Filter Material:Cotton gauze
    Sleeve Color:Black
    Quantity:Sold as a kit.
    Notes:Red case, 70mm base flange. Adapters sold separately. K&N adaptor hoses are available if the size of your original hose differs to the neck size on the Apollo, sizes are: 70mm-70mm (Part#85-6002), 70mm-60mm (Part#85-6003) & 70mm-80mm (Part#85-6001) stepped silicone adaptors.
    In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, NV, GA, TX) on our web site.
    K&N's APOLLO CIS is a universal "Cold Air Intake System". The Apollo's specially designed shape increases volumetric efficiency and is made of durable lightweight material for cooler air intake. The Apollo incorporates a K&N famous cotton gauze filter which is removable for periodic cleaning and provides the benefits of an open cone filter and standard air box in one unit. Heat buildup is reduced which keeps the intake charge cool. Smooth internal features minimize air turbulence and maximize air flow. The Apollo is ideal for normally aspired engines up to 250BHP and turbo engines up to 350BHP. It comes with a standard 70mm base flange with a range of optional stepped adapters available to allow fitment to other intake sizes.

•Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration
    •Includes injection-molded filter housing and cold air inlet
    •Washable and reusable lifetime air filter
    •High air flow with excellent filtration
    •Not legal for highway use in states adopting California emission regulations
    •Backed by K&N's 10 year/Million Mile Warranty
    Warranty
    Most Helpful ReviewsReview This Product
    1 Customer Reviews for K&N RC-5052AR - K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems
    Average Customer Review
    5 Star

(0)
    4 Star

(0)
    3 Star

(0)
    2 Star

(0)
    1 Star

(1)
    +See All 1 Reviews
    Disappointment
    Summit Racing
    Summit Racing Verified Purchase
    KNN-RC-5052AR
    Sorry I was very disappointed in the product, it listed as a "Universal" Well it isn't! A 3" tube is far from a universal fit! It didn't come with any other fitment couplings! it won't fit my 4 1/2 " oval inlet or any other type SO Universal it is NOT! I would not Recommend this product to any one! I'd like my money back
    0 of 1 found this review helpful.
    Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    report abuse
    Reviewer: GEORGE from NJ
    Date: August 18, 2016
    Appearance

Ease of Installation

Price/Value

Quality

Questions & Answers
    Ask a Product Question
    There are no questions for this product.
    Some parts are not legal for use in California or other states with similar laws / regulations
    Back to Results
    You May Also Like
    Click here for more information about Spectre Performance 9981 - Spectre Performance Air Intake Systems
    Spectre Performance 9981 - Spectre Performance Air Intake Systems
    (10)
    $167.24
    View
The K & N systems are about the worst you can use for a Diesel engine.
The reason behind this is because of the cotton fiber.
The oil and dirt etch into the cotton fiber and no matter how much you clean it, dirt and oil remain and over time reduces the air intake into the engine making you lose power and performance

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The K & N systems are about the worst you can use for a Diesel engine.
The reason behind this is because of the cotton fiber.
The oil and dirt etch into the cotton fiber and no matter how much you clean it, dirt and oil remain and over time reduces the air intake into the engine making you lose power and performance
What about a dry filter element?

·
Administrator
15,934 Posts
What about a dry filter element?
A dry filter element is best but a cone type system that allows hot engine bay air into the engine intake is not good for your engine at all.
You want an intake that pulls outside ambient air that is away from any engine compartment.space.
Diesel engines love cold air, colder the better

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. That k&n filter kit (RC-5052AR) has a flex hose you could probably route it to the outside. But I’ll have to research it a little more, the filter doesn’t look that big. Thanks OK. for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts