Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared the Firestones to the Air Lifts?

Any advice before I buy a set? I can get the Firestones cheap, unless there is an advantage to the Air Lifts I'll just go by price..

With no weight on, how much will it lift the rear, with empty pressure and full pressure?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS, what are the cheapest prices you've seen and where? Thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Camstyn I have the Airlift's on my current truck, and had them on my '02 HD (same set), after two years, they seem to be holding up well (the brackets do have some corrosion which is to be expected).

The install is pretty straight forward, although you need to be somewhat of a contorsionist for the driver's side. The brackets essentially take the place of the rear bump stops. Installation easiest if you take the tires off (put the rear on jack stands). You'll also need to do a bit of grinding on the forward portion of the top brackets to get them to sit flat against the frame (there's a factory weld there and Airlift may have corrected there design since I bought mine).

I carry a 600Lb. counter weight in the back and 15psi in the Airlifts for a much improved ride that sits about 1" over stock. Empty, and with the Airlift recommended 10psi minimum in the bags you'll sit about an 1" over stock also. You can add more air and take the rear up 3"+ , but Airlift recommends against using it as a lift kit.

IIRC the cheapest I could find them at the time was from : http://www.accessconnect.com/chevrolet_gmc_air_lift.htm

I have no experience with the Firestone's, but can definitely recommend the Airlift's.

JoshEdited by: GMCSLEHD

·
Registered
617 Posts
Camstyn

I also run the AirLift SuperDuty bags. I did not have to grind anything. On their web site it lists 5psi minimum which is what I run, empty it will lift the rear about 1/2". I've had them for two years and no problems, very satisfied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Camstyn,

I've had firestones for 10 years without a problem, first set in my '94 1/2 ton that carried a steel deck and 2 sleds, and a new set in my dmax, they mounted nice, no excesive swearing required, I took the old set off the '94 when I sold it and the rubber was like new, just had to paint the steel, sold them for $150, mounted both with the optional on board compressor, that is very nice. Al.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I second GMCSLEHD's comment on the grinding. The design causes the bracket to overlap a weld seam on the frame, which will not allow it to bolt flat. Ground the edge down with my dremel to fit. Not a big deal, but something that exists. Other than that, very happy with the AirLifts, great construction, work perfect.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm running Air Lifts on mine. They've got over 40,000 miles on them without any problems.

They support 4000+ pounds in the box quite nicely

·
Registered
457 Posts
Camstyn I compared just the bags in terms of size and ratings, both were very similar. There is a local hitch shop and I recently spoke with the owner about installing some bags on an '02 D/A. It wasn't a problem but he charges more because he custom fabs all his own brackets. Said he doesn't trust the ones that come in the kit for anything. I don't know specifically what he doesn't like about them but I've seen alot of guys, espically those lifted, running custom brackets.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys, I ordered the Air Lift setup with the onboard compressor and gauges, found them cheapest at summitracing.com

I've got a guy here that will make me a custom bracket y2kboti, I think that you have to when you've got a lifted truck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There are a couple ways to modify the brackets for lifted trucks but if you can have a set made your better off. Will you be doing the install yourself or will the other guy be doing it for you? Let us know how they turn out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah the other guy will be doing the install, I don't want to screw it up.. He's got a lifted d/a 2500HD and made his own bracket for installing his firestone setup so I'll trust it to him. I'll let you know next week if I get it done on saturday..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds good. Couple more questions: Are you going to get the automatic leveling kit with the sensors or just a push button fill as much as you want when you want? Also try and grab some pictures of his truck and his brackets he fabbed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, looks like the stuff won't get here until Monday now so it'll be a couple weeks until it gets put in (will have to be on a Saturday)..

I ordered the push-botton fill as much as you want model, not the automatic levelling kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts