Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Got a crew cab dually. '18 model.

If I put air bags on the back would it improve the ride?

Our roads are suckish rough. Have a Trail Air hitch on our fifth wheel trailer and is still blah.

Wondering.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like having air bags on my truck.

I think it’s a good upgrade to add the air bags and I figured it just can’t hurt anything..!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I love my airbags.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think it helps with your ride loaded?

Do you have a compressor installed or just air fittings?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mine is a '12 so not apples to apples but the bags didn't change the loaded or unloaded ride. I lowered the rear 1" with shackles and because of the geometry of the overloads, removed them and installed bags with Air Lift auto leveling. When you have a near GVWR load whatever suspension you have will be stressed to capacity and there won't be a lot of "give" left. You will feel the road, especially the bridge transitions!

I have an Air Safe hitch to soften the stress transfer to the RV.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx CntrlCalDmax.

Trying to decide if I want airbags or not. On my 02 I redid the rear suspension and added bags. When bags were deflated, there was no difference in ride height. So bags were useless.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Do you guys think it helps with your ride loaded?

Do you have a compressor installed or just air fittings?
Yes the air bags help the ride loaded, also give you the ability to keep the truck ride level.

I just use an air fitting and carry a compressor behind the seat.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx IGO1320.

·
Registered
114 Posts
air bags have certainly helped my new truck (with onboard air & remote) and the previous '06 3500HD (manual fill) when loaded at about 65-75psi depending on weight.
Ride height was level helping headlights & ride comfort.
As for empty, no difference as what is commonly felt is the overload spring making contact on the perch.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I experienced an air line break to my air bags while towing, and it was awful. The rear dropped down to the rubber bumps and I felt every bump in the road. They make a huge difference while towing. The truck rides like a tank with no load. :( I also have an air ride hitch, and it is great addition for towing.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx to all.

Truck goes in tomorrow for airbags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts