Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have air bags with a compressor and manifold block where did you mount yours? The block and compressor have to be close due to the hose length. I go to the river alot so I have to make sure i dont submerge it. Pics would be great! Ideas? Everyone seems to not recommend the engine compartment which is shocking being its the most shielded from the elements.

Pit

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone have any comments on this? I installed an airlift sureset system on my truck this weekend, and ended up having to install everything along the frame rail, and am not real pleased as it hangs some of the hoses below the frame. There is a nice plate between the bed and frame (above drive line, between muffler and tank), had the compressor mounted there until I realized the wiring was way too short to reach, and there was no way to mount the manifold correctly to the plate.

So, how has everyone else mounted these things?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone have any comments on this? I installed an airlift sureset system on my truck this weekend, and ended up having to install everything along the frame rail, and am not real pleased as it hangs some of the hoses below the frame. There is a nice plate between the bed and frame (above drive line, between muffler and tank), had the compressor mounted there until I realized the wiring was way too short to reach, and there was no way to mount the manifold correctly to the plate.

So, how has everyone else mounted these things?
Sparks I have the sureset also and I am having problems mounting the wiring. How do you get the harness into the truck with the plug already on the wires? looks like you need a huge hole, or disassembe it. I mounted my compressor and soleinoids on the plate in the middle of bed like you described, looks like my wires should be long enough. any info on the wiring would be appreciated thnx ron

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Unless the wires in your system are something special just cut them and add in whatever length of a good quality copper wire that you need. Just make sure the wires are color or number coded and you shouldn't have any problem splicing them back correctly.

Use some good heatshrink butt connectors to splice them back together.

The cut wire will make it easy to route the plug end from the cab.

Don't let a short length of wire stop you from mounting it where it's more convenient.

DD

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I ran them into the cab, I went through the same spot I went through with my pyro and boost gauge leads. There is a flat spot on the firewall on the drivers side (near where steering shaft passes through) that is not covered with insulation. drilled another hole next to the one I already had, then slotted between them to make it oval shaped. Then I took the plastic housing off the plug for the harness, fed it through, and put the plastic back on (this helped make it smaller / easier to get through). I put some thick plastic spiral wrap over all the wires and tapes them to protect from chaffing on the hole, as well. Hopefully that helps?

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I ran them into the cab, I went through the same spot I went through with my pyro and boost gauge leads. There is a flat spot on the firewall on the drivers side (near where steering shaft passes through) that is not covered with insulation. drilled another hole next to the one I already had, then slotted between them to make it oval shaped. Then I took the plastic housing off the plug for the harness, fed it through, and put the plastic back on (this helped make it smaller / easier to get through). I put some thick plastic spiral wrap over all the wires and tapes them to protect from chaffing on the hole, as well. Hopefully that helps?
Thnx , sparks looks like my wires are to short also . I think I'm going to add to my wires. My compressor and soleinoids are up on tray in middle of bed. Where did u get your ignition on source, in cab? Any pics would be nice thnx ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't have any pics, I'll see if I can get some tonight. For the ignition source, I was lucky as the original owner had installed a solenoid inline with the battery lead to the trailer plug, so I tied into the turn-on wire for that solenoid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven/t seen it, but I heard of one person who mounted there compressor behind the tail light. Sounds like it would be well protected, especially for those river trips.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got everything hooked up, added about 3ft. of wire, {theres 7 wires total} on sureset, and it works fine. My only problem is that they keep about 8 pounds min in my bags. I would like to run 5 or a little less I'm not towing. Is there an adjustment or maybe I could put an off/on switch inline on the ignition /on circuit.. What do you think? thnx Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts