Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly a year of suffering through hard starts in the summer, Extremly hard starts in the fall, and a no-start this winter, I finally got off my lazy duff and put in new glows.

sort of.

It was damn cold, I was freezing, and I figured 7 out of 8 is a passing grade in any school system in the nation. Anyone who change glows can guess which one didnt get changed yet.

Anyhow, the big blue truck starts like a champ now. I think that a remote starter would actually be able to start it automatically now. Before, it took some serious cranking to help keep the engine turning over till enough cylinders started firing to keep it going on its own.

I used 60G's from the local Mexican National Auto Parts store. They work great with my 18:1 truck with stock glow timing. Take about 5 seconds to clean out and run when started after sitting all night. A lot better than the 30-40 or so it took before.

No more having the yuppie-wannabe neighbor looking down his nose at me and the blue cloud my truck issues in the morning.

tim

·
Registered
808 Posts
87.5% is an excellent pass in my book.

·
Registered
370 Posts
C'mon... do the last one

I guess you're refering to #8 as the one you skipped. That's easier and much less work than #4 and #6. Get back under and do it... :D

I get #8 by laying under the truck and using a 1/4" socket wrench. If anyone has replaced glow plugs at least once, they can knock these out quickly.

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you're refering to #8 as the one you skipped. That's easier and much less work than #4 and #6. Get back under and do it... :D

I get #8 by laying under the truck and using a 1/4" socket wrench. If anyone has replaced glow plugs at least once, they can knock these out quickly.
naw. 4 and 6 are easy. Jack up the front end and go between the fender liner and frame. A walk in the park.

I didnt mention that the driveway was coverd in snow, ice and water. I aint laying down in that crap unless I absolutly have to. I'll get it in the next nice sunny day.

tim

·
Registered
370 Posts
We'll let it slide this time

Wet driveways are no fun... okay, we'll let it go this time.

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just got new glows this week and are planning on puttin em in tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear a few tips and angles to get to a few of them.

Its gotten to where the old girl don't like to start if it gets under 40 anymore. So I'm hoping the new glows will help her out!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its gotten to where the old girl don't like to start if it gets under 40 anymore. So I'm hoping the new glows will help her out!
Thats where I am at with the Burb. When I dropped it off at the dealer for the PMD transplant I told them they better park it inside, or plug it in in the morning LOL...

Annoying, as the preivous owner said he just put new ones in... this was in June...

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Thats where I am at with the Burb. When I dropped it off at the dealer for the PMD transplant I told them they better park it inside, or plug it in in the morning LOL...

Annoying, as the preivous owner said he just put new ones in... this was in June...

If they put in the instant heat type, it could be they are shot by now. Maybe he wasn't lying...

Those WAP glows are great for a few months, but die off pretty fast.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just got new glows this week and are planning on puttin em in tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear a few tips and angles to get to a few of them.

To make removal easier next time around, put some anti-seize compound on the threads of the glow plugs before sticking 'em in.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
For pass side; jack it up remove wheel, pull inner fender (20 minutes tops to do that), drop dowm pipe easy-peasy, while there clean all grounds, check starter support bracket, remove & anti seize turbo mount bolts, and cross over bolts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't bother pulling the inner fender - easy to do it just by yanking the wheel off and that rubber flap that hangs off the inner fender. #8 is a challenge the first time but a 1/4 " drive from underneath works well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just did mine a couple weeks ago took the inner fender out and using wobble extensions and i think a swivel on one i got em done in a couple of hours i was surprised how easy it was

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I wouldn't bother pulling the inner fender - easy to do it just by yanking the wheel off and that rubber flap that hangs off the inner fender. #8 is a challenge the first time but a 1/4 " drive from underneath works well.
Doesn't work on all vehicles, rear pass side glow plug on my Burb can't be accessed with out pulling downpipe period, plus as I said there is other routine maintenance items that side that need to be done while fender is off, inner fender is really an easy pull, IMO any maint that needs to be done that side of the engine you are way ahead of game by pulling the inner fender

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To make removal easier next time around, put some anti-seize compound on the threads of the glow plugs before sticking 'em in.
I have an old air-force mechanic buddy who swears by Phillips Milk Of Magnesia. Says its the best anti-seize compound ever made, and they used it even over the goverment supplied crap at 30 bux a tube.

Tim

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i have brand new 60g's in the hands.
The truck starts almost nicely, but I was planning to change them as a routine maintenance.

Despite the fact I'm lazy (too), I get scarred about doing that now. few months ago, a buddy of mine did the maintenance : a piece of G-plug broke and felt in the cylinder.
He thought that the missing part was because it had melted and didn't care a lot about the ticking noise that has appeared.
When I met him 2 weeks later, we discuss about that. I told him he should not have used his engine in those conditions and bet he has caused damage.

He saw a mechanic and the verdict was a complete destroyed head of piston...

Do the glow plugs often brake when you pull them out? Is there any tip to avoid that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just changed mine 2 months ago and new batterys it starts better now at 20 degrees outside than in the summer at 90 degrees out before

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put in 60g's and new injectors earlier this year, and i am very pleased with how it starts. I am doing a complete make over on the truck right now with new paint, new moldings, new tires and wheels, blah blah blah $$$ :D:D i could keep going on, but anyway back to the topic, i went out today a cranked the truck up, been sitting for about 3 weeks not moved, and i let her cycle the glow plugs once and she fired right off like it was just run yesterday, i was expecting her to give me some trouble, but she didn't.:D This time......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just did mine with new 60gs, they were 5 years old and didn't look bad, but one had a broken wire terminal connector thingy, and two had come unplugged. Didn't realize it until I got to the second bank, maybe they didn't need changing. Oh well, had them might as well use them. I didn't remove anything, took me about 15 minutes for the drivers side, passenger side wasn't bad, I got the first 3 up top, tried to get the last one up top and couldnt. Got underneath, cracked it loose then got back on top and tweezed it out of there. Getting ready to do injectors, hope they go half as easy.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hey CowRacer Tim! Good job. We haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see that high-zoot engine is still kicking it!

Regards,

Rob :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts