Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting with Mike at Quadzilla yesterday we discovered that we both have had broken tierods. I have broken two tierods. Everytime I go offroad messing around I brake a tierod. He is getting beefer tirods made and I am first in line when he get them. I was under the assumption that he will be selling these on his site. So Mike correct me if I am wrong. There is a market for aftermarket tierods for our trucks. Edited by: BassinRVer

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I am off road pretty much every day, and rough as heck many times.

And I have yet to hurt anything on the truck. And when I say rough at times, I am saying where the front tires are air borne.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
JUST ADD JUICE AND PROPANE TO A HOLESHOT LAUNCH AND YOULL BE WORKING ON YOUR TIERODS TRUST ME

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Peanutgrwr, didn't you snap one doing a 4-wd launch??? how many psi of boost did you launch with anyways?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
YES THE LAUNCH "FROM HELL" WAS 4X4. AS TO HOW MUCH BOOST I HAD I REALLY DONT REMEMBER. IT WAS WHATEVER A DMAX WITH JUICE WILL PUT OUT AFTER STALLING IT A GOOD 20 SECONDS OR MORE WITH MY FOOT ALL THE WAY IN IT.
I DIDNT HIT THE PROPANE UNTILL I RELEASED THE BRAKE AND THATS WHEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
My truck is about to turn 40 (we may need a party
)

And I have used propane or some other power addons for nearly all those miles. I guess it is the driver

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What matters worse for me is that with these 2" keyways the angle of the tierods is not level. Mike with Qaudzilla has a stock suspension and he broke his in the same location/fashion.

·
Registered
457 Posts
BassinRVer where are you breaking your tie-rods? Inner joint, outer or actual relay rod? Any pictures? I am running 36" tires on my 1500 Series which has smaller tie-rods and I have yet to have a problem. Any idea what the tie-rods that Mike at Quadzilla are going to end up like? How is he attaching them to the centerlink and steering knuckles? Better yet lets get some pictures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would be interested in some beefer relay rods. I have bent them on two different occasions. The ends themslef have held up great.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1BADHD said:
I would be interested in some beefer relay rods. I have bent them on two different occasions. The ends themslef have held up great.
Best best is to use some chromoly tube threaded wit heim joints. The outer mount is easy, drill out the steering knuckle to accept the heim. The inner heim is a little harder espically of a stock truck. Here are some pictures below.

http://www.bulletproofsuspension.com/data/img/P0003407.JPG

http://www.bulletproofsuspension.com/data/img/P0003419(1).JPG

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Welcome aboard Bryan! For once I became a member before you did
I hope you find the truck you want.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Part of the problem seems to be the threads themselves create a cracking point. Poor design on the thickness of the rod IMHO.

If you add a few nuts onto the threaded section that might help. Torque them together.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there anyone near Bullet proof in WI. They need a truck to look at the tierod for beefer ones. Their address is:

Advanced Automotive Technologies Corp.
Bullet Proof Steering
766 Grand Ave.
Hartford, WI. 53027 Edited by: BassinRVer

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got off the phone with Fabtech and in the next cuople of months they will have an assortment of replacement steering components for our trucks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
hdmax said:
Welcome aboard Bryan! For once I became a member before you did
I hope you find the truck you want.
Thanks Mike. I’ll definitely find what I’m looking for and if not I’ll just order what I want
. Now I’m just waiting for GM to release the SRW3500 and LLY Duramax.
BassinRVer said:
<font size="2">I just got off the phone with Fabtech and in the next couple of months they will have an assortment of replacement steering components for our trucks.</font>
I’m not sure what exactly they will be releasing but I know a guy that is doing all the R&D on the replacement parts. Last time we talked he was running the oem tie-rods and didn’t mention anything about new ones but he was running “boxed” pitman/idler arms that Fabtech had designed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure who I talked to but he did say tierods. Time will tell. I may go to the dealer buy new tierods (with the center link) and ship them to Bullet proof steering in WI to fab up tierods for me. Then I will start selling them to yall.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
BassinRVr,

Hartford is around 20 mins from me. I'd be more than willing to play test dummy for them so they could see what's there and how they could improve on it.

If you could send me a contact name/number I'll make some arrangements and get back to you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Problem...

Answer...look closely
Okay for some the link does not want to work so copy and paste the URL below.
http://www.bulletproofsuspension.com/data/img/P0003419(1).JPG
Make sure there the last #1 appears as (1).Edited by: y2kboti

1 - 20 of 40 Posts