Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crower seems to be a PITA to get parts from. They ship one set at a time to most vendors and it makes it very hard to get a time frame on when any certain vendor will have some rods for sale. I bought TTS rods from http://www.hdiesel.com/ (Huckstorf Diesel). They are going to Merchants for my build. One phone call to Mark at Huckstorf, and they were on the way(Thank you). This was after several phone calls with vendors that can't seem to get rods.

Since I seen what a PITA it was to get such an expensive part, I want to know why there is a waiting list for these damn rods? Why isn't Crower meeting out needs? Is it time to completely drop them and switch to someone else that can deliver when we need it? If Crower isn't serious about Duramax performance parts and their customers, we should not support their company. They are making motor builds a PITA. I'm glad I found out Huckstorf could get rods shipped that were in stock, but I'm concerned. If there is no competition with Crower and rods are going to be this hard to get, the price will never come down.

BTW, Huckstorf can be reached at 1800-776-7102. If you are having trouble finding rods, he can get them. They are made by Crower or R&R to TTS specs. Once these run out there is no telling how long it will take to get some since Crower takes their sweet time.:mad:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I heard TTS is having a large production run being finished up. No competition means its an open market for anyone who wants to start doing duramax rods. Unfortunate that no rod companies are taking initiative to satisfy the market like TTS has.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I think Corrilo(sp?) is making rods for the duramax to. But it sounds like all the companies are screwin the pooch on this one, accept TTS.

Bentley

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
That's funny I just talked to Guy at Socal and he has them in stock. It seems Crower has been a bit sporadic on delivery...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kennedy;1594785; said:
That's funny I just talked to Guy at Socal and he has them in stock. It seems Crower has been a bit sporadic on delivery...
Merchant is waiting on a few sets and BigStriss is too. What do you mean by "them", how many sets of 8 does he have? Crower needs to be eliminated from the equation. They are too slow and their shipping habits are less than desirable.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
A few sets I believe.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I talked to Huckstorf a few weeks ago, he said he should be able to get tts rods no problem.

I don't think even if there was 10 different manufacturers the prices would come down due to competition. Just look at turbos, there used to be only 1 aftermarket turbo available, now there's lots and the prices haven't budged.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I agree, it shouldn't be this hard to get rods. I'm on the phone with Crower just about every other day to find out when they will satisfy my very large purchase order. Instead of one big shipment I have a few sets trickling in here and there. I ship them to those on the waiting list almost as soon as they come in.

As far as Carillo goes, I finalized the design with them a few weeks ago and should have their rods in stock in about 8 weeks.

I'll stick with the name brand rods for now and give some of the newcomers to steel rods a season to prove themselves.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trippin;1596260; said:
I agree, it shouldn't be this hard to get rods. I'm on the phone with Crower just about every other day to find out when they will satisfy my very large purchase order. Instead of one big shipment I have a few sets trickling in here and there. I ship them to those on the waiting list almost as soon as they come in.

As far as Carillo goes, I finalized the design with them a few weeks ago and should have their rods in stock in about 8 weeks.

I'll stick with the name brand rods for now and give some of the newcomers to steel rods a season to prove themselves.
Great info. Thank you. Will the Carillo's be priced similar to the Crower's?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe I saw pricing for both on Trippin's web site the other day.. Check it out I believe the prices were with in 2-300.
Jon

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
The Carrillos are an "H" beam forged rod as opposed to the Crowers which are an "I" beam billet rod.

This opens up a completely different discussion as to the benefits of "I" vs "H" beam as well as forged vs billet regarding grain structure and flow.

The bottom line is they are both good rods. Billet is less expensive to manufacture so they are less expensive to purchase.

The pin end of the factory rod is 1.540 at it's widest point. The billet rods tend to measure 1.480 in this same area. The reason is so they can be manufactured from 1.500" plate with just a .010 clean up on either side of the base material.

The Carrillo's are 1.540 in this area, because a forged rod can be made to any dimension we specify.

Is this important? You be the judge, I offer both. :D

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Trippin;1596953; said:
The Carrillos are an "H" beam forged rod as opposed to the Crowers which are an "I" beam billet rod.

This opens up a completely different discussion as to the benefits of "I" vs "H" beam as well as forged vs billet regarding grain structure and flow.

hmmm interesting...with my pea-brain knowledge it would seem I beam rods would be stronger in a "V" engine where you have not only up and down but also some side to side stress. On the I beam rods you have a thicker center section that would maybe take more torsional and lateral stress, as well as the longitudianl stress. Whereas the H beam rods do have the sides supporting side to side stress, but the smaller center section. Any deformation might case the H beam to sort of "crumple and fold"...Im probably totally off, who knows...

how is oiling going to be distributed differently on the H beam vs I beam rods? The dmax oiling being designed for beam rods, would that cause anythng funky? What about weight of the rods and balance? H beams are going to be slightly lighter I think, is that going to make anythng different? What are the rods going to be forged from? What are the crowers? 4340? I dont know much about metal, I think I just remember reading about that material being used for rods in many instances.

are the carillo bearing caps still fracture split like factory?

If I were to buy rods I would go with the crowers. They have been out for a while and no one (that I know of) has broken them. Nobody has tested the carillo rods yet, and I wouldnt want to be a guinea pig with a 2500 dollar investment...JMO

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Carrillo "H" beam forged rods have been the industry standard in connecting rods for more than the 30 years that I have been building engines.

:D

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Merchant said the rods are in. He said they look great, just like Crower's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know for a fact SoCal Diesel and TTS have rods in stock. How many? They sure didn't make it seem like they were on a shortage though.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The discussions on a "H" beam Vs "I" have been going on for years but a general rule of thumb is if there is over .05" offset from the pin end to the crank end a "H" is stronger than an "I". Once you get beyond that, the "H" causes more windage to be created in the lower end due to the way it traps air and oil in the rod. Does the windage created by the "H" matter or not is the question. Since the Duramax offset is below the .05" we chose to use an "I" in our design. We use 2 suppliers to produce the rods and both carry the same warranty and I can tell you that there is no better parts on the market and we have proven that with all the sets of rods we have shipped over the last year. Not one failed part out there. Were not new to the diesel steel rod business at all, I guess you can say we are the oldest supplier in the market with a proven record. Carrillo has had there design done for over a year and started production of there forging about 6 months ago but just have not done much to hurry them along for what ever reason. Carrillo produces rods in the "H", "I" and a force feed oiling design for the different applications. While they are not a new company this is there first venture into the diesel world. Crower and R&R have worked with us to get the rod design how we wanted them but Crower takes forever to produce. We wait one year from our first PO till they were delivered, so they have some production problems. We have shipped over 20 Duramax rod sets out in the last couple weeks so there are plenty of motors going together and we have plenty of rods in stock and can ship in a couple days from ordering them from us. So if you need them we've got them in stock with no waiting for when they "might" come in.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Off topic alittle here but were could you find just a LBZ block and crank

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
bobo;1604594; said:
Merchant said the rods are in. He said they look great, just like Crower's.
Both of the TTS rods are made to our specifications so they should look to the eye pretty much the same from either of our suppliers.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Diesel Tech;1605833; said:
Both of the TTS rods are made to our specifications so they should look to the eye pretty much the same from either of our suppliers.
Are you continuing to carry rods from both manufacturers? Crower and R&R.

If so, how can the public determine if they got a set made by Crower or R&R or a third vendor?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Why should it matter who we have supply our product, it's our product. They are proven and if there is an issue the customer comes to us not anyone else. Since there has been a zero failure rate it a non-issue.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts