Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought an 01 dmax....was wondering of which filter to go with.....i heard that there was a filter that would keep the oil looking new for 4000mi.....and was wondering how the oil looked running the dual filter like amsoil filters.........does it stay clean looking for the duration of the life of the oil??..........and can i run the dual element filter with rotella oil ?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the remote dual filter setups... too much potential for loss in the lines, not to mention added failure points.
I run either the stock Delco or Mobil-1 M1-303.

If you have an EGR valve, I doubt anything is going to keep the oil looking "new" for 4k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aftermarket Filter

I'm with Rich. I can't tell the difference in the M-303 and Delco filters. After much research, I use whichever one of these I have handy. After 1000 miles, my oil is black, but it still looks "good" after 5000, if that makes any sense. It would have to be a hell of a filter to keep the oil in THIS thing looking new after 4000 miles!

Buck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i must have posted this in wrong forum ?.....no one using the dual element filter has put there 2 cents worth in yet ?

i was hoping to make an inteligent decison ... if that is possible .... on installing the dual filters......if it keeps the oil cleaner....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I put the Ams/Oil Dual Remote BMK-17 on my truck at 11,000 miles. I now have 45,000 miles on my truck and the drain plug has not been removed. Oil used is Ams/Oil Series 3000 5w-30, EaO26 oil filter and BE-100 By Pass filter. Oil is analyzed once a year. I was changing full flow filter every 6 months and by filter once a year after analysis. Ams/oil says with new Eao filters you can go one year before changing. I have been using Ams/Oil for 27 years with excellent results. I just added their new Air Filter EaA121.
Good Luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
435 Posts
does your oil stay clean ?
Why do you ask??? Is your mother in law coming over?
I mean come on , this is a diesel truck.
But yes, it just gets a grayish black color to it. Oil analysis says to continue using it with filter changes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know it is a diesel and the soot is just there......but was wondering of all of the benifts of the dual element filters.....i know your supposed to run tons of miles without changing oil and that would be ok.....but hard to understand how it works if dino oil gets dirty looking in the first few miles how you can go so many miles without changing oil.....to get the soot out

i guess i would think that if the oil stays cleaner with dual filters then i personaly would feel better about running the same oil for exteneded intervals.....my way of thinking is that the darker/thicker the oil the more stuff in it and the more chances of engine wear happening faster ?

just trying to make sense of it in my head.....if that is possible.....lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts