Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For EVERYONE running an aftermarket exhaust kit which brand did you go with?

Banks
Magnaflow
ATS
Kennedy
Other (if so please list)

Does anyone have any sound clips online? I will not go with a dual system, only single so who makes the best exhaust in your opinion? Better yet any companies I should avoid? Any and all imput is appreciated!

·
Registered
611 Posts
ATS

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
GM minus the muffler

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Kennedy 4"-5" minus the muffler.

Dont know about best since the JK exhaust is all I have messed with. I'm happy with the JK system though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a Gibson dual (3" side by side) SS system and replaced it with the Kennedy 4"/5" system. It's a tiny bit louder at WOT, but the same as before when cruising or towing. It uses a huge muffler (5" internal passage) with a 4" inlet. I'm probably not gaining any flow with a 5" tailpipe section, but it's priceless when a PSD owner takes a peek under there and realizes it's NOT a 5" tip!

The factory aluminized pipes looked great after 2 yrs, the SS parts had red surface rust all over it in only a yr. The Kennedy system is aluminized and should look great for a long time.

Another issue to consider is material thickness and fitment. Even though I have Rancho shocks (big boots) and a 33" spare, the tailpipe clears the Rancho shock by about 1" and the spare tire by about 1 1/2", plenty of room.

Other than that, disregard any claims of power increases. A diesel dyno operator in socal has informed me that he actually saw a slight decrease with a Banks exhaust, but it was well within the margin of error.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Stretch, you need to put a parental warning on your avatar. I almost got busted
by the boss!

·
Registered
408 Posts
new banks 4" not bad for noise

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Stretch, sorry for being hard on you about the avatar. I just need to be a little more careful when viewing the forum.

Now, if only I could proof read!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
HOMEMADE 5 INCH FROM THE DOWN PIPE BACK. LESS THAN $250 FOR THE MATERIAL TO MAKE TWO OF THEM AT A MUFFLER WAREHOUSE
. IT USES THE STOCK MOUNTINGS AS WELL. IF YOU ARE INTO A LOUD TRUCK -----ITS THE ONE TO HAVE.

STRETCH, MAN I LIKED THE AVATAR

·
Registered
96 Posts
cdhd2001,

I didn't think you were hard on me at all, but Hoot on the otherhand scolded me.......
(I know it wasn't politically correct but it sure was nice
) Lucky for me this isn't another, more militant site that might have me banned

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kennedy Diesel system on mine. Good fit, nice sound, S.S. band clamps, etc. Have no experience with any other, doubt I ever will.

Steve

·
Registered
861 Posts
banks with no muffler. it sounds great

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dynomax on my clunker but has Bassani muffler and Bassani tip. Dynomax is good stuff and not real pricey droans alot though. The Bassani kit is Great but a little pricey since its stainless and their muffler's and their 6 IN sport tip get all the look's. The Summit kit I saw on Bob's truck over the weekend is nice and its not real pricey either. The cheaper systems may not be stainless but a good coating of quality high temp header paint never hurts either helps prevent rust on the exposed welds and stuff. depends on your bank roll... bank's is nice also heard a d-max this week with a kit nice and quiet.

Greg Edited by: Smokin Deezul

·
Banned
328 Posts
We haev an awesome sounding exhaust. We have good pricing as well.

We have stainless and aluminized.

Being perfectly honest, with most exhaust systems they will fit most trucks fine, but depending on your truck you can always have little hangups. Usually it is easy to remedy, but when you are dealing with exhaust, no matter how nice, they can be a pain.

I need to get a sound byte, I think ( and several people have told us) that we have the toughest sounding muffler! Sounds like a BB Chevy!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have the aluminized Summit 4" exhaust system on my truck. I have no sound clips of it though, sorry. It is not too loud, but right around 75-80mph it sure wants to let you know it is back there!! Total cost with 5" SS polished tip was $324 to my house!

Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
A few more to consider/remember...

Rip Rook's fair shake (popular with the dodge boys, very reasonable price)

Diamond eye (mentioned elsewhere in this forum).

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Banks 4" exhaust. Not very loud at all...just barely more noticable than stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent responses so far but I have some more questions.

1.So is the general consensus that an exhaust kit isn’t good for much hp and the biggest gain is the drop in EGTs?

2.How does an aluminized system outlast a SS system? I always thought it was the other way around.

3.Do most kits start at the down pipe and go back? Any that don’t? This seems to pop up anytime I hear someone talk about Duramax exhaust.

4.Some kits use the factory hangers and some kits use the band clamps. I know what the difference is between them but which setup is better?

Anyone have pictures of the Kennedy 4-5” kit? I like the idea of the 5” section from the muffler back. Any negatives to the Kennedy kit?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts