Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm shopping for a new h/u and will probably get some type of dvd/nav/mp3 player. I'm leaning towards the double din type. I think it makes for a cleaner looking install (open anyway vs. sliders). Would like to hear what everyone else has and the pro's con's of each. A couple of specific questions i have are....

1. A "double din" eg. Kenwood DDX 7017 or 8017 will fit without modification, correct? Crutchfield says no, but I think they are wrong.

2. Can backgrounds/screensaver/wallpapers be custom, ie., uploaded from a jpeg disk? That would be so cool.

3. Will they play burnt back-up DVD's?

4. What is the latest and greatest in this catergory and is it worth the money?

Any help/knowledge would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Kenwood 8017 will fit, I don't know if it offers custom screen saver, it will play DVD+R/-R.

The latest and greatest in double DIN is the Pioneer Avic-Z1. It is scheduled for release mid-march. It offers everything that the Kenwood does plus you dont have to buy the serepate Nav system (the kenwood one isn't included with the H/U). The new pioneer has a 30G hard drive built in for maps and song storage, lets you put your own background on it and is completely bluetooth compatible. I was going to get the kenwood until I heard about the new Pioneer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Sounds like that is worth waiting for. I bet it will be high $$$ though...any estimates?

On the kenwood, I know the literature says it will play DVD +R/-R, but specifically will it play "backup" copies of dvd movies? I have lots of those and unless someone has actually tried it there is probably no way to know for sure. Some home dvd players won't even play them.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I know with the 8017 you can put in a picture disc and it will play those.....as far as back up dvd im not sure...ill let you know tomorrow though...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Check out mygarage for pictures. Eclipse head unit 5435. Only "no" answer is custom wallpapers. Plays everything else. My signature has other details. Go for it! See Eclipse web site for more details....
:ro) :ro) :ro)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out mygarage for pictures. Eclipse head unit 5435. Only "no" answer is custom wallpapers. Plays everything else. My signature has other details. Go for it! See Eclipse web site for more details....
:ro) :ro) :ro)
I don't understand why the engineers making electronics get so close to having something very cool and then they go and do some lame thing like make you pick from jumping dolphins or spashing water for you wallpapers. How sweet would it be to have your girl or dog or truck or family or whatever you want as wallpaper everytime you start your truck...just like your home computer? I mean how are these people smart enough to make these things and then don't have the common sense to get the details right? Kind of like my buddies' new cell phone...bluetooth, awesome camera and videos, mp3's, can put pics or gifs as wallpaper on the outside AND/OR inside, FM radio...THE WORKS. The mp3 will play right out of the speaker no problem, but the FM radio HAS to have the headphones plugged in to work. How dumb is that?? You can even make it play out of the loudspeaker if you want, but as soon as you unplug the headphones the FM radio quits...WTF!!!!:rant:

Anyway, mad, thanks for the advice. What made you choose eclipse? Can you get around the "must be in park" dvd requirement?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Superboy 95-
I might have a Kenwood DDX-7017 available next week... I was going to install it but think I might go another route... Let me know if you are interested, asking $750, that new pioneer is $1650, so you could save a good chunk of change. I know the kenwood plays burned DVD's but the screen saver is only what it comes with, I think a option of 6 different ones. If your not interested right now keep a look at the classifieds as I will probably be listing it next week.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Eclipse simply had all the features I wanted. :)
Yes, I CAN PLAY A DVD WHILE DRIVING. My Eclipse dealer does that "standard". :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Eclipse is a very nice unit. I was die hard Eclipse for a number of years until they started to get behind the technology. They we one of the last ones to offer Satellite radio, offer built in EQ/DSP, stuff like that. They have always had EXTREMELY good sound quality. You cant go wrong with either one of the 3 brands that have been mentioned.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I would put Kenwood at the bottom of that list I'm not very happy with them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mad,

How hard was it to install? Did you have to do any cutting? Also, can you use XM radio or do you need to move to Sirrus? Finally, do the steering wheel controls/rear controls work with it?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had mine installed by the Eclipse dealer so can't give specifics other than he told me they fit "no problem" and the installation is clean. If I recall, Eclipse is Sirius and HD radio ready at this time but not yet XM. Mines a LS truck without the steering wheel controls so can't answer that one. However; if you watch as many car/truck shows as I do you have to know that anything is possible...just a matter of your own know-how. DuratotheMax may pipe in on this one...he seems to be an expert with the stereo stuff.

I'd check out the Eclipse web site then talk with your local dealer for the complete story.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/6600index.html

:cool2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Kenwood 8017 will fit, I don't know if it offers custom screen saver, it will play DVD+R/-R.

The latest and greatest in double DIN is the Pioneer Avic-Z1. It is scheduled for release mid-march. It offers everything that the Kenwood does plus you dont have to buy the serepate Nav system (the kenwood one isn't included with the H/U). The new pioneer has a 30G hard drive built in for maps and song storage, lets you put your own background on it and is completely bluetooth compatible. I was going to get the kenwood until I heard about the new Pioneer.
I agree. I was sold on the Kenwood unit and was saving for it, but now after researching the Avic-Z1, I'm going to get that one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. I was sold on the Kenwood unit and was saving for it, but now after researching the Avic-Z1, I'm going to get that one.
One thing to point out about the new Avic-Z1: The ripping of songs to mp3/song storage can only be done when you insert an original WAV/music disk. The way I understand it, that is the only way you can get mp3's onto the hard drive. You can't just load up 30 gig worth of your current mp3's and start jamming. You have to have the original disk or you're screwed. Big turn off for the price of this thing. I''m looking for something which will accept a usb pen drive. Easy way to play mp3's without burning a new disk every time.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
It was a few years ago when my problem started so I don't remember all of the details. But my HU quit working twice and was fixed by a local repair shop. Then it quit working again I had moved to CA so I took it up to LA to get it fixed at the only strictly Kenwood repair shop. After a few days I was still having problem with it, so it went back and I expressed my disappointment adamantly. They returned it and it works but I have very poor FM and all most no AM reception among other minor things. They told me I could send it in again, but I figured what’s the point and just learned to live with it. This HU is one of there most high end units that isn't DVD.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Kenwood = Eclipse, They are the same thing except the eclpise has dual slots for the seperate nav/dvd and higher outs IIRC. The thing to remember with Pioneer is they are an "affordable" alternative, not the best sound quality IMO. You can also add a seperate DVD nav to the kenwood, but it is slow and pricey ($900 last I saw) There is a new eclipse uniy out already with the HDD and nav, but again WAY pricey.

my$.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts