Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal, dealer is going to replace the flywheel but im gonna have to pay out around 600 bucks for a stock clutch, and as bad as I hate to do this I really dont have any choice, it really needs to be done, makes some of the awfulest noises you've ever heard and shakes the trucks so violently it gives you a headache if you set there long enough. I know every one is gonna say go aftermarket, and I really want to, but I really aint got $1800 right now. So heres my idea, may be a bad one, I dunno thats why Im askin, I figured surely I can find an aftermarket clutch for not much more than what their wantin for a stock one and then on out in the summer when my flywheel is already goin bad again I can get a SMF and put in and Ill already have the clutch, Deadeye, Im sure you'll read this, can you get me a SBC without the flywheel? and if so for about how much?, double disk would be great if there not to high. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after doing a little readin I found whatI was looking for apparently this is not the best way to go, but my stock clutch has been slipped rather badly a few times, not b/c of the flywheel but my stupidity, and badly as in lots of white smoke a the smell of burnt clutch that lasted for many hours, Im gonna wait till they get my clutch out and see what it looks like and if it is pretty bad I might as well go aftermarket if there not much higher.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Your flywheel is what doing the shaking and noise making not the clutch. You might be able to use your original clutch on the new flywheel and get by if you don't use too much extra hp. A new stock clutch should be much less than $600, it's been a while since I priced one but they used to be $250. Southbend makes a couple options for an aftermarket clutch on a stock flywheel but the flywheel will wear out faster if the clutch holds better.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it was about 550, but that was the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Any idea on the price of the clutch that go with the stock DMF.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The last time I checked the factory clutch disc and pressure plate (that come together as one part number) was less than $250, the throw out bearing is less than $50 I believe. I don't know the price of the South bend discs but I know you'll need a new factory pressure plate to go with it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
chevy;

If the dealer is going to pay for a DMF and you can reuse the current clutch plate and PP then you will save $. If the clutch plate is shot I can get a stock replacement one from SBC (or you can get one from a dealer). The pressure plate should be ok.

I agree with Craig's info. Save $ because you will eventually have to get a full aftermarket kit (incl flywheel.)

As for cost, the SBC SMF/SDC is still a ways out but I have some more info on another thread. The cost should be a fair amount less than a DDC.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
southbend clutch has a clutch and pp setup for the stock duel mass flywheel
give peter a call.
someone on here had one a while back and had good luck with it, but I cant remember who it was, all I do remember is he now has a dodge.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've had one of Southbend's disc's in the stock DMF in my personal truck. It will hold a good amout of power but since it holds the DMF life is shortened.

·
Registered
502 Posts
southbend clutch has a clutch and pp setup for the stock duel mass flywheel
give peter a call.
someone on here had one a while back and had good luck with it, but I cant remember who it was, all I do remember is he now has a dodge.
That would be Coalbucket1. Or Hoot Jr.):h

I didn't have that good of luck with it but I know he did. Like said above the DMF is the limiting factor not the clutch.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Well after doing a little readin I found whatI was looking for apparently this is not the best way to go, but my stock clutch has been slipped rather badly a few times, not b/c of the flywheel but my stupidity, and badly as in lots of white smoke a the smell of burnt clutch that lasted for many hours, Im gonna wait till they get my clutch out and see what it looks like and if it is pretty bad I might as well go aftermarket if there not much higher.
don't know if you have made a decision yet, but if not I recommend checking post #15: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?p=984906#post984906
as was written by Peter at SBC and knows quite a bit about what you are concerned about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts