Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I Made my own.

I wanted a set of bed rails to be able to double the bedspace of my new chebby. I looked at the ones from the steeler. No go. First they are way to light duty. They are made for looks not for use.

Second they are 150 bucks.

Third the ones I found all use the stake pockets. Well I want my stake pockets as well.

So I made these.

You would think that that sh*t would be super simple but mounting them so that no bolts show and they are sturdy enough to actually use, while retaining the stake pockets is a *****. They are mounted with 4 3/8 bolts accessed from underneither.

Side Shot.

Overall side shot. I know its not real techy but it is interesting and at least I made them myself.....

wholy sh*t my ears big.....Why didn't you guys tell me that I looked like I could take flight!!

Where is my magic feather?

·
Registered
570 Posts
They look great, you did a great job.
Edited by: Voodoo

·
Registered
463 Posts
Excellent job!!!!!

They look great! I like the fact that the bed stake pockets are still useable.

You may have stumbled onto a nice little side business like Rick has with the VR Straps.

Kevin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compiments. Although I woun't be doing these as a side business....

I like being able to use the stake pockets as well. That is most of the reason I made these.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks great.

Are you using anything to distribute the load on the bed side top? If not, it may want to kink and roll in when you tie off to those. A triangulated bracket underneath that presses against the inner bed wall when the tubes are pulled in would probably help stabilize the rails.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BadDog said:
Looks great.

Are you using anything to distribute the load on the bed side top? If not, it may want to kink and roll in when you tie off to those. A triangulated bracket underneath that presses against the inner bed wall when the tubes are pulled in would probably help stabilize the rails.

I have just such a bracket.....Great mind think alike.....btw I dig your truggy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks. I like the looks of your rails so much I'll likely be stealing the design (when I get some other projects completed).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steal Away.

They are 1 3/4" 12 guage tube. I used a Pro-Tools 105hd bender with a 6" radius. They are 45 degree bends.

How I got the height is compliments of my 9 year old son. I was doing all this measuring and junk and he came up and set a 2 pieces of 2x2 across the top from side to side on the truck. He then laid the roughed pieces on top of those and slid them right up against the bedwall. "Dad, look." Thought to myself "this kid figured out in 10 seconds what I just spent 30 minutes on".

So they are 2 1/8" inched above the bedrail. (used 1/8 scrap to make the mounting tabs)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Haha, seems like all it takes sometimes is a fresh perspective. :D

I've got an NE-5 with 1.75 x 5.5 clr so I'm set. And I even know how to set the height!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BadDog said:
Haha, seems like all it takes sometimes is a fresh perspective. :D

I've got an NE-5 with 1.75 x 5.5 clr so I'm set. And I even know how to set the height!

Yah I can do normal height but as you will find out the top of the bed is not flat and I wanted the railes to match the lines of the Cab. Just took a bit of creative grinder work...lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice job!

Although I'd never make fun of your ears since you'd probably kick my . . . .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Alaska Duramax said:
Yah I can do normal height but as you will find out the top of the bed is not flat and I wanted the railes to match the lines of the Cab. Just took a bit of creative grinder work...lol

Sorry, guess that didn't come out right. I was saying I know how to do the height because your son showed me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts