Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have them and how do they like em? Someone posted on here recently and said they had them but now I can't find the post.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Didn't Turbine Doc just do that conversion?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, his are 6 lug.

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
i believe they have kits for the fullfloater 14 bolt as ive seen em in 4wheeler, u can also modify 03 silverado front calipers w/ custom mounting plates to work on older 14 FF not sure on the ones under the newer trucks, i imagine they are the same

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
why would you want disk brakes? how would you remove a full flouter hub and keep the axle sealed and hub on staight? You would have to find a big rotor to work with that 14 bolt axle.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
check with SSBC http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/ they may have a kit, it's where I got mine, even if they don't have a conversion for 8 lug rear, dual piston caliper for front will help immensely in stopping grip

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
i believe they have kits for the fullfloater 14 bolt as ive seen em in 4wheeler, u can also modify 03 silverado front calipers w/ custom mounting plates to work on older 14 FF not sure on the ones under the newer trucks, i imagine they are the same
Do you have any links or names of kit manufacturers that use the 03 silverado calipers?

Side note: does anyone recognize these calipers? I find it hard to believe SSBC would engineer and manufacture their own calipers. They've got to be OEM, but from what?

·
Registered
306 Posts
this will work on the GM full floater 14 bolt axle. what is shown is a hybrid axle that I built for my blazer. it is a chromoly tubed dana 60 center with corprate 14 bolt spindles accepting 35 spline 1 1/2" axleshafts with all GM components for the rear disc brakes. Now as a word of warning there are a hodge podge of parts here and you will need to do some fabrication amd machine work. Basically the backing plates are off a 1/2 - 3/4 ton front corprate live 4wd axle as are the calipers ( you can use 77 cadillac rear calipers for the parking brake/brake but they tend to be a pain to adjust and keep functioning). you will also use the rotors off the 8 lug 4wd front live axle. you will need to knock out the lug studs off you existing drum spindle combo and replace the drum with the rotor just like you took it off using the same studs. You will remove the old drum backing plate and hardware ( do not discard you need it for marking mounting hole locations.
the part that will need to be machined is a spacer @1" thick that will mount the new backing plate to the axle. the new backing plate will have to have the old (6) mounting hole welded up and the new (4) holes (marked from the old plate) drilled. assemble the entire unit.

to do this right you will need to replace the proportioning valve and master cylinder (from a post 1980 (metric) p30 van with disc/disc option).
this will get to the correct brake bias for stopping.

now for the disclaimer. although I have had great success with my modification on the blazer it'll lock up very easily I have had my share of gremlins with it. Primarily ther idea of the caddy caliper ( they suck!!!!!) they dont really hold the parking brake well, they leak after a couple of months of running, they tend to get spendy and harder to find. So if your willing to run without an E brake/ parking brake then the standard front 4wd caliper is plentiful and cheap.

Now after looking at all of the existing rear disc units out ther it is possible to adapt the newer units to the older axles. all it takes is a bit of time, multiple trips to the bone yard and a camera. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check with SSBC http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/ they may have a kit, it's where I got mine, even if they don't have a conversion for 8 lug rear, dual piston caliper for front will help immensely in stopping grip
They don't make calipers to replace the Big A$$ stock front calipers on 3/4 tons. I've looked everywhere.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why would you want disk brakes? how would you remove a full flouter hub and keep the axle sealed and hub on staight? You would have to find a big rotor to work with that 14 bolt axle.
Ever pick up your rear drums? Spooling up 90 lbs. of flywheel everytime we have to move doesn't make sense to me and I think they are a PITA to service.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I have to agree with you there, they are a pain to service. I've thought breifly about doing the rear disc conversion. "Briefly" is the operative word there. The whole parking brake issue isn't something that I feel like bothering with.

I never thought about the fly wheel effect of the heavy drums. Does any body know how to calculate how much torque they suck up when we get on the throttle?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I'll let you know next run I make, I had forgotten how heavy my drums were when I pulled em off, and I have the smaller drums

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
They don't make calipers to replace the Big A$$ stock front calipers on 3/4 tons. I've looked everywhere.
Checked with them recently, when I 1st looked they did not even have a kit for mine, as posted earlier, new trucks are getting them maybe those can be retrofitted somehow. See if you can talk to one of their tech guys, sales desk up front won't have a clue, will just look at an application chart, not see it listed, and then say no won't fit. Maybe you can impress upon them the need-desire for them and work a R&D project with them for it. Check with Heath as well he might know someone working that, since he's gone 6.2/6.5 only business he might even have a trick up his sleeve that will work

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
EGR is the rear kit on mine with SSBC on front, instructions are severely lacking for the EGR kit, if you go that route PM me and I'll help you out how to install them, both front & rear came on same order ticket I placed with SSBC contact info was:

Bob Warrington
Sales / Technical Assistance
Stainless Steel Brakes Corp.
11470 Main Road
Clarence NY 14031
Tel.: 716-759-8666 (Ext. 152)
Toll Free Order Line: 800-448-7722
Fax: 716-759-8688

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks TD and DM.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree with you there, they are a pain to service. I've thought breifly about doing the rear disc conversion. "Briefly" is the operative word there. The whole parking brake issue isn't something that I feel like bothering with.

I never thought about the fly wheel effect of the heavy drums. Does any body know how to calculate how much torque they suck up when we get on the throttle?
Yes but we really don't want to know.-:t

1 - 19 of 19 Posts