Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess its doubtful but does anyone know of an after market valve cover for the 6.2. I'm looking for something Aluminum to dress up the engine after a rebuild. I plan on painting the engine and I think some black powder coated valve covers with polished lettering would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess its doubtful but does anyone know of an after market valve cover for the 6.2. I'm looking for something Aluminum to dress up the engine after a rebuild. I plan on painting the engine and I think some black powder coated valve covers with polished lettering would be pretty cool.
I used some high temperature paint to paint the block, valve covers and oil pan. The block is a basic gloss black, the valve covers, intake and oil pan are a metallic gold - to match the truck. I also painted the Humvee headers silver - I'm hoping the 1200 *F paint sticks ok, if not I'll pull them off later and get them ceramic coated. It certainly looks better than most of the engines I've seen. I've got a 14" chrome air filter to fit on the top of it - it should look ok.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
:nopics:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
. I also painted the Humvee headers silver - I'm hoping the 1200 *F paint sticks ok, if not I'll pull them off later and get them ceramic coated..

I painted mine with black header paint and its not even marked. I guess my EGT's are too low, lol!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now that's funny I don't care who ya are that there is FUNNY :):):)

Chuck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for the input but I'm no closer to an answer. I understand that I can paint my valve covers. I'm sure there are as many colors available as there are in a rainbow. Again, what I'm looking for is an aluminum valve cover. If you know of a company that makes them or a way to adapt another engines covers, let me know. Thank you!

Here's a picture so the thread is not so worthless. I'm not sure that the picture is relevant but it does show my engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is the 379 Valve cover unique?

·
Registered
163 Posts
DSG and peninsularengine both sell chrome Valve covers on there engines maybe they will sell you just the valve covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
thank you all for the input but I'm no closer to an answer. I understand that I can paint my valve covers. I'm sure there are as many colors available as there are in a rainbow. Again, what I'm looking for is an aluminum valve cover. If you know of a company that makes them or a way to adapt another engines covers, let me know. Thank you!
I seriously doubt anyone has made chrome or aluminum aftermarket valve covers for the 6.2 - usually that is a cosmetic enhancement to a hotrod engine. I don't think anyone has ever confused a 6.2 for a tire-spinning, monster powerplant!

A good question to ask would be - do valve covers off a SBC or BBC fit? That would give you a lot of options. If not, you are pretty much limited to what you can do with the stock ones. Paint them, powder coat them, chrome them - but they are still the same ones you have.

I'll be working on my truck to get it running over the long Christmas weekend - I'll see what I can do about getting a low-resolution/fuzzy shot for you non-admission paying folks just to give you a preview of my setup. The metallic gold color of the truck matches the valve covers/intake/oil pan nicely, while the black block provides a nice contrast! I haven't mounted the chrome air cleaner yet - I'm hoping it doesn't clash too much!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It makes since that the heads would be cast from a common cast for engines that size then machined to tailor the specific engine requirements. Is there a common Head Size nomenclature or are they always referred to by the type of engine they are being mounted on? You must understand, I have a pretty good understanding of how an engine works and what is unique about a diesel but I don't have experience working on them. The only engines I've really worked on are air cooled VW engines.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Each GM engine family generally has it's own head castings that share little to nothing with any other GM engine except basic design characteristics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
other then paint the only option you are going to have is have aset made like grape did or get one of the chrome ones I talked about in my last post. there is no other engine besides the 6.5 that has the same valve covers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One other option would be to have one of the guys in your tech department cut out a set for you and weld them up. when I use to be in NDI I had the guys that patched bullet holes in the Harriers make me stuff like that all the time they would do all the cutting out of the parts and cnc the mounting flange for me and then I would weld them up at the hobbie shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts