Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the kit with the Pro-Gaurd 7 filter and installed yesterday, and rushed right out for a quick ride up the road.

The turbo whistle is louder, for sure. But don't even think for a minute that it's twice as loud or anything like that. It can easily be masked by having the radio on at even moderate levels. My wife said that she could hear it if she really tried. I notice it more at lower RPMs, but it's all high frequency content, like probably 8 kHz and up. If you've spent too much time around chainsaws, tractors, circular saws, and the like, you might not even notice it.

So I was expecting more whissstle and didn't get it.
Oh well. My cousin has a 99 CTD, just straightpiped, and it has a nice whistle to it even at idle. Is our turbo just large enough that it only "comes on" when it's running under a substantial load?

Yes, all the guys here are right, ya hafta pull the filthn'foulin tube out to get the flimflammin filter in the frickin airbox. This was a recent shipment from AFE, so be forewarned that nothing has been done to make the fit better. Knuckleheads.

As for power enhancement, don't expect much. I'll reserve judgement until I do the mufflerectomy with the Magnaflow that's coming from wifey Santa, but it's not very obvious, if at all.

In terms of comparison, adding the AFE is like getting a peck on the cheek from your significant other, while the Juice is like getting, ah, uuuuhhh, let's just say the entire treament.

Happy Trucking.....Mat

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The New Element reduces CFM do to finer filtering properties for dusty climates ... I'm sure this must reduce turbo whistle ... I chose to go with a nylon sock which filters to 5 micron ...

Mac

·
Registered
958 Posts
Straight pipe your exhaust and it'll whistle like crazy. With the radio off I can hear mine whistling away just putting along with cruise control set on a flet stretch of road.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey hey hey!!!!

I wanna change my answer!

Went out this evening on a contracting job, and when I left, I was wearing my heavy coat....well, 10 miles later and I'm cookin', and it's 37 degrees out, so what the heck I roll the riders side windows down 2".

Gadzooks! Whistles like a Peterbilt. Can hear it reflected off cars, bridges, and all that. Perfect! Guess my cabin is pretty tightly sealed!

Shweeeeet! Mat

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine gets the neighbors attention as I drive by.....

It whistles.........

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was coming around a corner to pick up a buddy. He was quite surprised saying, "it kinda scared me. I though a jet liner was landing on the road." We laughed a little but you can definately hear the turbo whistle with the AFE airfilter kit when decelerating. The bad thing, it only adds about 4-5hp.

As for the Magnaflow muffler. Oh yeah! When I accelerate, I have had many compliments on my 8.1L exhaust sound. Then I let them know it's a diesel. The exhaust sound is great, especially when you drive past a building or concrete barrier and the echo resinates back toward the truck. I love it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did the AFE help reduce your EGT's?

Adam

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey guys, Im with Mackin. The standard (blue) AFE does feel better than stock @midrange and top-end. Add the prefilter (sock) for better filtration w/o loss of whistle or performance. I have tried the pro-gaurd 7 and I think it is not much better than stock and nowhere near the whistle as blue!!! Save your $ from the '7' and buy the sock!

·
Registered
795 Posts
For the record, I did not have to pull the air pipe out of the air box to get the filter on. I did have to bend the rubber on the filter though, but it all went in place.

Where does one purchase the prefilter sock ?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Any of the auto parts store that sell AFE should be able to get it for you...no problems. I was told to make sure you us the same color sock as the filter. That was just passed along to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts