Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the dyno day that we were at last week, had a look at Greg's turck. Other than the monster Bassini tip that he had on his Dynomax system (nice!), I was looking at the AFE air filter that he installed. The element is a K&N. Same one that I have on my FIPK. How is it then that the AFE is accepted as a good thing and the K&N is not? He did not have the sock on the filter, but other than the plastic air intake tube on the K&N, they appear to be identical filter elements. Curious, no?

Jess

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
My personal experience has been that cotton/gauzetype filters do not do well in high dust environments. Both K&N and AFE are gauze type filters, and are SEPERATE companies.

AFE recently released their Pro Gurad 7 element which is more plies etc for better FILTRATION. Wonder why???

The reality is, that the Dmax isn't breathing from an excessively nasty environment like a 6.5l, Cummins, PSD, or other TD which breaths from the inner fender area. Prefilters are commonly added to improve filtration, but in reality, if the filter were good, a prefilter should just minimize maintenance and shed water spray...

That said, I still prefer a foam type element, and Uni is my #1 choice.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Everyone using any type of oiled filter should take note that a service bulletin has just been released by GM that is advising service techs and managers to deny warranty coverage on failed Mass Air Flow sensors if a customer has an aftermarket oiled (gauze or foam) filter installed.
They say that the oil from the filter makes it way to the sensor and coats it, therfore causing a pre-mature failure. Probably a good idea to keep a stock paper filter on hand in the event of such a failure.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i think that only happens if you over-oil your filter..i've had an amsoil foam cell on for 26k+ and no problems.. my MAF is not coated in oil at all. i'll be switching to a UNI when i have time to put it on as i've had great luck with them in dirt bikes and quads, which is much dirtier than my dmax will ever see.. just make sure you don't over-oil it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the thing is that the question is still there. Why do people believe that the AFE is a good filter and the K&N is not? Same element, same filtration. Not really intending to debate the benefits or downside of each type of element. Almost as long a discussion as fuel filters

Jess

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just because they are seperate does not mean that they do not use the same element. The air filter element on the AFE is IDENTICAL to the K&N. Shape, size, filter element construction, etc.. K&N does supply other air intake companies with it's elements and the other companies just make the rest.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kennedy said:
AFE recently released their Pro Gurad 7 element which is more plies etc for better FILTRATION.  Wonder why???
I saw the new Pro Gaurd 7 setup at SEMA and talked with one of the AFE guys. 4 gauze layers and 2 cotton, said it reduces airflow a little more than their original(4 gauze layers) filter but that it catches much more and is worth the trade off. He specifically mentioned dusty dry areas and said it works great in those conditions.Edited by: y2kboti

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a64pilot said:
Jess, pretty pipe vs not so pretty pipe?

Got that right. And a bit more pricey.

Jess

·
Registered
21 Posts
as far as filter's go I would use a paper if I had my choice I have seen first hand what K&N's do when they let too much stuff by in harsh conditions and the impeller blades looked pretty hammered. My personal opinion is this I already plunked down the money for the AFE and I feel as though I am stuck with something that gives me little to no gain's but also heard the stock accordian tube intake our trucks have on them is restrictive. As far as AFE and K&N goes the filters are very close (SAME) but still seperate companies and S&B makes the gauze filter's too. the word i heard from a few old hotrodder's where I got my AFE was that the 2 guys that started K&N had and out so the other guy went out and started AFE I dunno but I have heard this story a few times. But I also had the AIRAID system on my Ford same style filter in it but pretty red pleat's in the filter! I know Holley is making them now and a few other people too. oh well my $.02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts