Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Express 3500 Duramax
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for tires for my tow vehicle. We tow with a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 Duramax.
I've used Michelin LTX A/S on everything I owned in the past. I'm pretty loyal to Michelins, never had a tire failure and they gave me a ton of miles.
I have to admit we've been on a ton of gravel roads, plenty of grass, and in some fairly muddy situations while full-timing in our Avion. As an urbanite, I don't have any experience choosing tires appropriate for our boondocking needs. The Michelin LTX A/T2 is coming up as the application for my truck. But I'd like to know if any of you have driven these tires in grass, dirt or mud.
I will only buy American made tires for our truck.
Please let me know what kind of experience you have had towing and the tires you use.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I am a big fan of Hankook tires and they work great out here in Montana. I have ran a lot of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 which they recently stopped making but the replacement AT2 RF11 are suppose to be great also. I can easily get 70-80,000 miles out of a set and have never had one fail on me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a big fan of Hankook tires and they work great out here in Montana. I have ran a lot of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 which they recently stopped making but the replacement AT2 RF11 are suppose to be great also. I can easily get 70-80,000 miles out of a set and have never had one fail on me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I run the cooper discover a/t. Like shop specialti said. I have never had a failure and get about 75k on them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a set of new take-offs 18" and used 255/65-18 LTX M/S nice deep wide space no hydroplaning quiet highway.
The MPH is off by 1 mph at 70mph, Last month we got 2.5 inches in four hours. South Fl.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been sticking with the oem Bridgestone v-steel. I buy the new takeoff sets for around $600. That's tires and rims mounted. Can't beat the price. Though these don't last that long. But having new rims everytime is nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going with the Michelins. I've had 30 years of great service from them. My van is only two-wheel drive so I think I was overthinking putting a heavy tread on all four corners.
I appreciate hearing my out and your input.

·
Premium Member
17,905 Posts
Having never liked Transforce ATs or HTs, I have been thoroughly impressed with the newer Firestone Transforce HT2.
Screenshot_20200710-163146_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
With my van being 2 wheel drive also and a 1 wheel wonder I stick with all season tires. I consider them a medium that does well in the winter and long life.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,905 Posts
Isn't that precisely what I just posted?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Isn't that precisely what I just posted?
What ? Are you talking to me because I was talking to Jonas and not responding to your post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When it comes to premium tire brands you can never go wrong with Michelin. I think that Michelin tires are one of the best options when it comes to durability.
Moving on, I don't have a van but my Dad has one and he uses
Cooper tires CS5 Grand Touring. I did get a chance to drive it before, and I was very pleased with the feel and comfort of this tire. Even wear and wet traction are great, noise is minimal and I am confident with the performance of it considering the fact that it has been in the van for the last two years.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
When it comes to premium tire brands you can never go wrong with Michelin. I think that Michelin tires are one of the best options when it comes to durability.
Moving on, I don't have a van but my Dad has one and he uses
Cooper tires CS5 Grand Touring. I did get a chance to drive it before, and I was very pleased with the feel and comfort of this tire. Even wear and wet traction are great, noise is minimal and I am confident with the performance of it considering the fact that it has been in the van for the last two years.
Those tires would not be safe to use on a 1 ton van that tows since they only have a STD load range.

Reactions: autogeek

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! But we usually use this vehicle just to transport light good and very minimal towing only when needed.
Personally I will never put anything less than a load range E tire on any 3/4-1 ton vehicle.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Less than a month after having the tires replaced, one of the valve stems blew out overnight and I woke up to a flat. I had all 5 of the valve stems replaced with high-pressure stems, sans sensors. I'll be purchasing a 10 tire, tire pressure monitor system since I am towing a triple axle trailer. The Michelins I purchased drive nicely as expected. I ended up in a hill climb where I'm at in New Mexico, sort of a can't turn back situation. Live and learn. But the tires gripped fine and the little Duramax pulled like a mother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts