Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
20210708_115136.jpg
20210708_115254.jpg

Iam seeking advice on a tuneup I am planning to do myself. My mechanical skills are above average but not expert, maybe a step above a standtree mechanic.
I have a 1997 2 door tahoe with factory 6.5 Turbo diesel. Mostly stock engine. I have replaced alot of the accessory parts such as full A/C system, vacuum pump, thermostats/radiator with separate oil cooler, water pump, etc.
I also have Leroy's PMD relocator and LP harness. The soot trap was taken off by previous owner.
Note: In another post I sought help for an electrical issue so I added and upgraded the ground straps.
The advice I seek is for servicing of accessible components when I replace the valve cover gaskets, which are leaking oil really bad.
1. Is this repair possible with someone of my skill level?

2. I would like to service other items: cleaning the EGR, replace fuel filter.
3. Should I consider replacing the injectors? (I havent changed them ever and I have owned the SUV for 8 years).

4. What are the OEM part numbers for:
Valve cover gaskets
Intake gaskets
Injectors ( I am hoping for affordable).
Coolant hoses)

5. The coolant hose that goes to firewall to thermostat housing has a very small leak, should i change it? If there are two hoses, should I change both? (Water pump is fairly new)

I appreciate any and all advice, you guys on this site have allowed me to keep my suv running. Thank you!
20210707_170654.jpg
20210707_170642.jpg
20210707_170706.jpg

·
Administrator
19,351 Posts
I would recommend changing all rubber lines on the vehicle.
You can find most part numbers in the 6.5L FAQ page located in the "parts list" section 6.5L Parts List

The Rockauto website has a pretty good parts list catalog also.
If you are concerned about the injectors you can pop test them. You can make a pop tester using a bottle jack. Look on youtube for "How to" videos.
Be sure to change the CDR on the passenger side valve cover. It looks like it needs to be replaced from the picture you posted.
(y)

Reactions: tigert

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice.
Does anyone have anything more to offer? Specifically, can I do the work myself or do I need a diesel mechanic?

·
Administrator
19,351 Posts
Thanks for your advice.
Does anyone have anything more to offer? Specifically, can I do the work myself or do I need a diesel mechanic?
If you have the tools and the time you can definitely do the work yourself and save A TON of money.
Finding a knowledgeable 6.5L mechanic today is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Look through the 6.5L FAQ page for all the goto information like replacing your injectors, etc.
There are manuals you can download plus lots more: Info: - The 6.5L FAQ's... The Master List of...
(y)

Reactions: tigert

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,550 Posts
Thanks for your advice.
If you can change out a set of sparkplugs you can put these injectors in no problem.There’s not much to it.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
2002 GMC ZF6 4x4
7 Posts
I didnt know 90s diesel tahoes even existed, keep that rare baby going!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt know 90s diesel tahoes even existed, keep that rare baby going!

Thanks man! I live in San Diego and was driving by a home in central california for work and saw this for sale. She needed ALOT of work , I did most of it myself besides the EL80 tranny and updating the differential to the newer posi system (the diff was making noise thus the rebuild).

Reactions: Red Six Six

·
Registered
2002 GMC ZF6 4x4
7 Posts
Youre probably sitting on a 50k truck to chevy diesel collectors in another decade with that rust free body
Thanks man! I live in San Diego and was driving by a home in central california for work and saw this for sale. She needed ALOT of work , I did most of it myself besides the EL80 tranny and updating the differential to the newer posi system (the diff was making noise thus the rebuild).

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Does yours have barn doors in the back?
More info on 6.5 Tahoe,Yukon.

Reactions: Red Six Six
1 - 9 of 9 Posts