Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how to adjust the shifter so that it lines up w/ PRND21 on my 86 K5 blazer. it was already poorly lined up when i bought the truck and has since gotten worse b/c of a 4inch lift, so bad that it wont stay in park when the truck is on, my back up lights only work when in neutral too. can anyone tell me how to adjust it to line up properly?? thanks

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Proper way to adjust shifter is to dusconnect linkage or cable ( whichever one you have ) at the trans. Put your shifter into Park and pull the ignition key out. You know now that the inside shifter is correct because the key came out. Now you go underneath the truck and put the trans linkage into Park ( remember we are still disconnected from the linkage or cable ). Make sure that the trans is in Park by trying ro rotate both rear wheels ( non limited slip will fool you if you only spin one wheel ). When you are sure you are in Park at the trans, adjust ( if necessary ) linkage or cable to where it slips on or connects to trans. You are now adjusted correctly. Now you need to see if your indicator needle points to the correct icon ( PRNDL ). If not, you will have to pull a couple of screws from bottom of steering columb cover surrounding steering columb. You will then see while moving shifter that there is a small cable tied from the columb to the needle on indicator with a small screw ( sometimes ). You can adjust this cable to read the correct icon on your dash. Hope this helped.
mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, will try in am, ok well later in the am (its almost 4am) thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts