Diesel Place banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
New set arrived and installed. They are exactly the same but now feature a grease fitting. We’ll see how they hold up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:help: :help: :help:

Stupid question that could have probably been addressed if I knew before I tore into things... but I have everything torn apart and didn't know that NAPA was also selling these type ball joints with their new replacement:help: UCAs.

Truck is all stock with 350k on it. No info about the former alignment numbers. What direction should I orient the ball joints in when I install them? Is there a "neutral" position?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’d start with them adjusted at max positive caster.
Sounds good. I am hoping that the alignment shop will be clever enough to adjust them as needed but don't want to make assumptions :rolleyes::facepalm:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can tell you they absolutely will NOT. They’ll likely have never seen anything
Like them and won’t touch them. Most shops are used to a “toe and go” and rarely ever touch camber and caster. Your best bet is to look for a large truck shop (ask your local township garage where they take their garbage trucks and such for alignment ). Be prepared for bullsh*t answers like that’s aftermarket stuff we don’t touch, etc. I went through hell and I finally embarrassed and pissed off the know it all alignment guy and he had me come out to show him how to align a truck... thinking he called my bluff... I showed him and he suddenly got very eager to do the job right and found some pride in his work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can tell you they absolutely will NOT. They’ll likely have never seen anything
Like them and won’t touch them. Most shops are used to a “toe and go” and rarely ever touch camber and caster. Your best bet is to look for a large truck shop (ask your local township garage where they take their garbage trucks and such for alignment ). Be prepared for bullsh*t answers like that’s aftermarket stuff we don’t touch, etc. I went through hell and I finally embarrassed and pissed off the know it all alignment guy and he had me come out to show him how to align a truck... thinking he called my bluff... I showed him and he suddenly got very eager to do the job right and found some pride in his work.

Ha, fair enough. Small town so not many options but I'll ask around.

Got the driver side put back together with new TREs, upper/lower control arms and ball joints and a new unit bearing. With the ball joint set like you suggested it looks like it will be alright. Truck should drive MUCH better when both sides have been done :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully I can find an alignment shop familiar with these adjustable ball joints. In the neutral position I have way too much camber

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Double check your installation. That’s not right.
Anything specific to look out for? Everything looks fine at a glance

I installed both in position C. The driver side has about the same amount in the opposite direction

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did I put the replacement Napa UCA on upside down?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe you just have the UCA adjuster set way out?
Looking at this with a fresh set of eyes and I definitely didn't set the UCA adjuster in the prior position on the D side. P side doesn't have obvious marks showing prior position. Wish I had taken photos of what it exactly looked like before I took **** apart. I'll play with them this afternoon

P side

D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you get her aligned?
Thanks for asking :) Still need to. I was able to get closer to neutral with the UCA adjusters but it's still bad.

I have been blocking myself -- I am just wrapping up the rear wheel seals and brakes.

The closest shop with an alignment rack for a CCLB is an hour away so she'll be going on a trailer so the front tires don't get smoked. Fortunately we have a big enough trailer and my truck is up to the task :)

14 Posts
i had same issue with my moogs with regard to the alignment techs not being familiar with them. I played with them all day to figure everything out with them and the UCA adjustments. Got them relatively straight and took it to NTB for alignment. Store manager (who I know) assured me their techs were familiar with these ball joints. After 4 hours, the tech gave up and sent me home to come back in the morning when their OTHER tech would also be there. Two hours into day two, I marched out into the shop like I owned the place and asked what the deal was. They were watching YouTube videos on how to deal with these BJ's. I took them to school and 30 minutes later they called it good, and my test drive agrees. Store manager gave me the alignment for free in exchange for teaching his techs how to deal with these things.

Now I just need to get the intermediate shaft deal taken care of and I'll have a NEW 17 year-old truck without ABS.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts