Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where to get the primose 405-409? I tried the avlube.com link on the nicktane website and it doesn't work.

Does anybody else know where a guy can buy this stuff from a retail store? I tried to go to a bulk fuel supply store and they have never heard of this stuff. All they had was powerservice. I can get that at fleet farm.

I don't neccesarily need primose. I'll try anything but powerservice.

Cold weather just hit home. 5-10 below twmp, 15-25 below windchill. Would like to get soon. I've been dragging my feet, now I have to pay the fiddler.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the website, it works great.

One question, I didin't think a guy wanted to run an additive with an emulsifier in it. It screws up the filters or something?

I don't know for sure, just what I thought I heard.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is plenty of reading on the emulsifier vs. demulsifier additives. If you do a search on it you will have plenty of reading!

It is the demulsifiers that GM recommends. See this link for GMs stand on it. http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2232&KW=demulsifier

Read some posts and decide for yourself. I remember reading that rust in the fuel system may void warrenty IIRC. I had not been using an additive until about 1000 mi ago and changed out my filter at 9000+ and found a fair amount of rust.
A little too close to the big money parts for me. I'll have to see what the next filter looks like with an additive in every tank.

Read on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the artic fuel do you need the additive?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Warden said:
With the artic fuel do you need the additive?

I would have to say yes. Moisture is present in all fuel tanks, from autos to aircraft...it is a byproduct of tempeture change. The best way to fight it would be after every time you burn fuel you would also have to put her to bed with a full tank of fuel also. Now, reality of it all...I am not driving to the pumps everytime I am done driving for the day. In reaguards to aircraft fuel....every day there is a sump of all fuel trucks and tanks...this is for a few reasons: first to check the fuel of the presents of water and second god forbid if a aircraft goes down that fuel sumped would become part of the investigation.

Remember water is heavier than fuel and will be most present at the bottom of tanks and in our case bottom of our OEM fuel fitler/water separator also. The reason for the rust.

Edited by: NoWake200

1 - 6 of 6 Posts