Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of opinions out there on which filter etc....How about which fuel additive is better/best. I have heard a lot of good things about Primrose and FPPF....What about Power Services and any other brands out there?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. YOU need to decide which people you believe, the emulsify or the demulsify group. Then you can decide which additive you want to use.

FPPF and Primrose emulsify the water, my personal choice. IIRC Power Service is in the de group.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have been using power service for about 18,000 miles and I love it. I have not seen the mileage decrease like some have with the additives. i have a friend with the same truck and about 2,000 more miles and he uses nothing, and his water bowl on his primary always looks dirty, mine is as clean as a whisle. ( Its not dirt in his bowl, just slimy stuff) I run the diesel Kleen in the summer for the cetane and the anti gel in the winter.....

The best part about it is I can get it anywhere, no special orders...

ISNMU

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use Power Service also, seems to work well. Edited by: John R

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I can honestly say all I go buy is an educated guess and the years of experience of George Morrison. I simply don't have a clue.

I emulsify with Primrose 405.

I have 3/4 case of Stanadyne left that I will sell cheap. Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
612 Posts
For the first 40,000+ miles I ran Howe's and didn't have a clue that I had problems with water rusting my OEM filters.
Can't say that I actually received any positive or negative benefits from using it. Am currently on my 4th tank since switching to FPPF and again can tell no difference ..
.. like Hoot I've decided to listen to the recommendations of Geroge, JK and some others and can only hope I've made the right decision to switch from a demulsifer to an emulsifer ... Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm confused. I use Power service . Some have said here that Power Service is a demulsifier. On the bottle it claims to "Disperse Water". That sounds like an emulsifier to me. George, which is it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wrote to them and asked which it is, will post the answer when I get it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
JEBar said:
For the first 40,000+ miles I ran Howe's and didn't have a clue that I had problems with water rusting my OEM filters.
Can't say that I actually received any positive or negative benefits from using it. Am currently on my 4th tank since switching to FPPF and again can tell no difference ..
.. like Hoot I've decided to listen to the recommendations of Geroge, JK and some others and can only hope I've made the right decision to switch from a demulsifer to an emulsifer ... Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Howes Diesel Fuel Conditioner

According to Howes informatiom

Injectors and Fuel Filters lasting up to three times longer.

Engine smoking significantly decreased or stopped.

A decrease in oil consumption.

Encapsulating water molecules that burn off harmlessly.

IS THIS NOT AN EMULSIFIER

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds like it to me but maybe not a good one??

·
Registered
57 Posts
i'm guessing that power service emulsifies. From the website it says:
<LI>Prevents corrosion of fuel system components
<LI>Stabilizes stored fuel - protects against conditions that promote microbial growth </LI>

free water is a condition that promotes microbial growth and corrosion

Am i wrong in making this assumption?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wrote to Power Services the below e-mail:
Hello,
Could you please tell me if “Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost” is an emulsifier (disperses water in the fuel) or a demulsifier (removes water). The bottle says that it disperses water in fuel. I currently use in my Duramax diesel and there is some debate in the GM diesel on-line community regarding your product and I would like to definitively clarify it.
Thank you,
Steve
Their response:
Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> GM just recently issued a Technical Bulletin warning not to use any product with alcohols or emulsifiers. Emulsifiers are chemicals that pull water up into the fuel, or suspends the water in droplet form in the fuel. Emulsifiers will cause fuels to look cloudy. Alcohols can adversely affect lubricity and the cheaper alcohols can damage pumps and injectors. In the winter months when the temperature drops below freezing, these water droplets can freeze on the filter face of the water separator causing the flow of fuel to stop, even though the fuel is still liquid. It does not take much water to cause Fuel Filter Icing problems. Ford has also come out with a Technical Bulletin not to use any alcohols but I have not seen any reports by Ford on emulsifiers. </DIV>
<DIV>

Demulsifiers will cause excess water to fall out of the fuel. This water will fall to the bottom of the fuel tank or fuel system and can cause corrosion, rust, reduced lubricity and in the winter months it can strip antigels out of your fuel. Also, there are about a dozen demulsifiers or de-hazers on the market. None of them will work on all fuels. They are fuel specific and when an additive company says they use demulsifiers in their additives it is for advertisement purposes only. If you talk to any Chemist that knows anything about demulsifiers they will tell you the same thing.

Our Diesel Fuel Supplement contains a deicer that is intended to keep the water in the fuel from falling out. Warm fuel will carry more water than cold fuel. When it gets cold some water can fall out of the fuel, or the water separator can squeeze out this water which can freeze on the filter face and cause the fuel from flowing through the filter even though the fuel is still liquid. This is call Fuel Filter Icing and is often mistaken for fuel gelling. The deicer can also help to pick up small amounts of water in the fuel system. If too much water is in the fuel tank it can overpower the deicer in the Diesel Fuel Supplement.

Our Diesel Kleen is a summer additive and it is intended to give you the very best injector cleaner, cetane, lubricity, fuel stability package and corrosion protection. It will not do much for water.

There is a lot of misinformation<S

·
Registered
490 Posts
The video on the FPPF website shows what happens when their product, "Fuel Power" is mixed into a bottle with fuel and water. The mixture DOES NOT turn cloudy after the FPPF is added.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, there is a very clear answer <A href="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001" target="_blank">
</A>

</A>

·
Registered
540 Posts
Is it just me or did he avoid an answer??

·
Registered
149 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
Is it just me or did he avoid an answer??

Yeah, sounds like the type of answer you would get from a politician !

·
Registered
490 Posts
I guess the only way to find out is to put some diesel fuel in a clear bottle, add water, then add the 911 or whatever product you want to test, and see if it turns cloudy. If it does, then you don't want to use that product.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts