Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard or read somewhere years ago that my trans requires an additive called lube-gard or lube-guard. Around that time someone gave me a bottle they had, looked to be a GM part. I used it one of the two times I changed my fluid only, prior to that I had done the fluid and filter with no additive. Nobody else seems to have even heard of it, I did a search here with no results, so if it is in fact required, or installed when new, there must be a heck of a lot of 4L80Es running around out there without it. Any ideas if I need to look for it this time around? Also, I have always used Dex III, now I guess there is a newer update? Can I just stick with plain old Dex III, or IV, or do I need to find the newer one? Doesn't seem like it would make a difference, if it came with III. But the supposed "required" additive has got me wondering. I've talked to tranny guys and mechanics that never heard of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dan,
I've been a firm believer with using the Lucas automatic transmission additive and have done it each time I've changed my fluids and it seems to be a good idea. It's pretty thick but 1 quart of that mixed in with a fluid change is cheap insurance. You've got a lot of miles, mods, plus a plow, which we all know is murder on the trans., so anything extra that you can add sounds good. I've read threads on here listing the additive that you are talking about so I believe that it does still exist. Most manufacturers have additives and I'm sure that GM still has theirs. They are all claiming to be friction modifiers which is the key selling point. Good luck.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I think I will try the Lucas stuff. My mechanic buddy likes it, and I trust him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.