Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling up the other day & the guy at the next pump had a Dodge. He was adding an ounce of transmission fluid to his fuel, he said that it was an old truckers trick. He had 250K on his truck & told me that he never had a problem, but sure liked my truck. He said that it kept the injectors clean & was better than buying fuel additives.

Has anyone ever heard of this before or done this?

Also I'm new to the diesel world, my first - will never go back to gas the power is awsome - but I want to know will I cause problems if I start my DMax without waiting for the glow plug light to go off. I'm use to just starting the engine & going.

RickEdited by: Rick&Danni

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Unless somebody with a whole lot of experience in the trannyfluid additive department showed convincing results, I don't think that Dodge owner could sway me into doing that in a Dmax.

That's it! He's puttin high quality additive in and telling all the Dmax owners he's using auto trans fluid.... no wonder there's injector problems

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoot,

I've been reading alot of your posts & was hoping you would reply. I was hoping that you would agree that this sounded like a cheap mans way of not paying for the proper additives if you need one. I don't use any additive, never had any water problems with bad fuel & live in So. Cal so I don't worry about the cold weather. But should I be using one?

Can you answer the second part of my question about the glow plug light. Is it OK to just start my engine rigt away or don't worry about.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Use and additive at least every other tank of diesel... It helps to keep your fuel system clean.... And it may keep you out of injector trouble a ways down the road.....

By starting your truck before your glow plugs are warm.... hhhhmmm... don't know..... I know it will crank longer, so your starter would probably go faster...... Personally, I wouldn't do it....

I will be interested in hearing from someone who knows on this topic also..... My wife has done it with me in the passenger seat and i know it spits some black smoke out? (unburnt fuel)...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe George from AV will drop in, but I would not use trans fluid where it don't belong!! Use a good treatment with no alcohol(sp ck), as GM has approved.

The right tools for the right job, as Scotty would say!

You will get use to the timer for the glow plugs. So when you get into a gasser you will be waiting to start it up and make people wonder why you are waiting to start it up!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Its really not that odd. A lot of people still add Marvel Mystery oil to their fuel for the same reason.

·
Registered
909 Posts
IIRC, there was an old thread on adding ATF to the fuel in 6.5 diesel engines. Apparently some have done it for years. And in that same thread, IIRC, George recommended against using ATF in diesel fuel.

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
It took me a few days to get used to the glow plug timer, after that no problem, cmadmaxman point about a gasser is funny, I do it all the time in my wifes car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

We got a case of 405 from george and it does work.. We add
1 oz per 15 gal 2 oz per 30 .. George told us 1oz would do
But the trucks runs much better with 2oz and this stuff is
worth the money.. Guys you must try it.. Long run you will
win Truck idles much better with this 405 you can hear it
and feel it..

From steve
Fleet dept
Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Back to the glow plugs...

I hardly ever let them go. Turn the key, and start it up. Seems to me my '01 started BETTER - fired faster - without glowing, even in the teens. Doesn't make logical sense, but...

Direct injected diesels will start a whole lot easier than pre-combustion type a la 6.2/6.5. At least in my experience. My 6.2 takes an act of congress to get fired up on cold mornings without the help of the block heater and two cycles of glowing.

The only way to hurt the glow plugs that I know of is to double-glow them without some cranking. Not sure about the Dmax, but the 6.2 and I believe the 6.5, and older VW/Volvo diesels would lunch the plugs if you double glowed them (often) without cranking it to get some fuel on them to cool them down. Maybe someone else has some better info.

My .02

Ty

·
Registered
195 Posts
On a cold start I always wait for the glow plug cycle to complete before I crank. On a warm restart, I can't remember when I last did. Just crank and start. My wife gives me a dumb look as well when I wait to start her Sidekick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As for additives, it's my understanding that there's no harm in using atf or 2 cycle oil, which is what I use. Too bad it does nothing for a 6.5 injector pump

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the use of ATF in our Duramax engine fuel system. Absolutely not... One of 300+ reasons: ATF contains detergent additization which can/will create foam in our ultra pressure high fuel system. Foam, any level, will wreak havoc on our high pressure pump. ATF did not harm fuel systems when system pressures were in the 3,000 psi range but with electronic high pressure systems, a very high potential for damage. There are so many high quality diesel fuel additives on the market which cost less to use than ATF and are designed specifically for disel use, why would anyone use ATF other than the unknowing? No.....
George Morrison

·
Registered
540 Posts
George, what about the 2 cycle oil use some are doing??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why not just use the right stuff and forget the witch's brews? If you spend 40K on a truck, then it will not kill you to use the right stuff. JMHO

Jess

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the use of 2 cycle oil. Again, our Duramax engines are *very* sophisticated diesel engines and I recommend using additives formulated specifically for diesel engines. Some of the home brew additives did no harm in older technology Cummins Big Cam III engines and the like but, no more..
George

·
Registered
540 Posts
That was my opinion too. I use the right stuff but just wondered if the 2 cycle oil was harmful or if it was one of those things that was a real secret special treatment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello all

Guys I buy 405 for Geroge he knows his stuff.. Why in the world play games with your dmax.. Buy a case from him ..
it will last you long time.. Why would you think of adding
2 cycle oils or other things to a 40K unit Nothing personal
here all.. I found our rigs are running better now and you
can feel how the Dmax runs better and most of our rigs the TICK is gone now..

Thanks George for all your great info

From steve
Fleet Owner
Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't find any techical information about Primrose 405... Can anyone point me in that direction
before I switch from Stanadyne.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Look here for some info anyway

1 - 20 of 22 Posts