Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been buying Diesel Kleen from Wally*world in the 16oz bottles. That's getting a little expensive tho, and the bottles don't seal very well once opened.

Someone on here had purchased reusable bottles from United States Plastic Corp and buys their additive in larger containers.

I'd like to know if anyone knows if these bottles would work.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=15032&product_id=11456

Their online support says they don't carry a bottle that would work. Something tells me the customer service person is wrong, because someone here was using their products.

I was looking at a bottle like this:

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Watch the bottle material as some additives can "eat" them and/or evaporate thru them.

I use a 32oz squeeze up Sta-Bil bottle to dispense my FPPF additives.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they also make "Hydrocarbon Barrier" bottles.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=14953&product_id=14920

"Nylon/PE modern rounds are nylon bottles co-extruded within a polyethylene bottle banded together by an adhesive. The advantage of this process is that no trace ingredients can get into the "sidewall maze". Containers produced by this process offer improved protection for non-polar hydrocarbons. Attached 28mm green melamine caps with Teflon® PTFE liners provide a wide range of chemical compatibility and temperature tolerance. The foam backed Teflon® PTFE resists attack from virtually all chemicals at room temperature and provides resilience for a tight seal."

Wonder if those would be better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like to use an old Stabil bottle. You can squeeze the bottle to fill the graduated portion of the bottle. It's real easy to pour into your tank also.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I bought a case of Stanadyne "One Shot" performance and when I get low, I'll get the big bottle and refill the "One Shot" bottles...

·
Registered
594 Posts
The bottles you picture look like they will work. I tried smaller (6 oz.) plastic bottles with the screw on caps that have a styrafoam cushon inside the cap. Well, the stanadyne dissolved this styrafoam insert piece and caused the liquid to leak out when I didn't have it stored in the upright position. Needless to say I discontinued their use. I like a smaller bottle to disperse the larger containers into: that way when I go to fill up, I can put the entire amount in the tank and toss the container. Then you don't have to put up with the smell of even a trace amount of the stanadyne.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Corona,
I use this 12-oz long-neck bottle:

They are much cheaper than the Nalgene bottles you show.
I don't have any leaking problems, and they do well for moths of storage. There are no signs of anything dissolving.
I bought 24 bottles with caps, fill each with enough additive for a 30 gallon fill and keep a bunch of them behind the back seat. I have gone through all 24 bottles and am now on my 2nd time around.

I squeeze some air out of the bottles before tightenning the cap as cheap insurance against pressure & leakage.

I use:
- Amsoil cetane improver
- Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
- Stanadyne Performance Jr. (for detergent)
This mix is most likely well into the "overkill" range. Looking at fuel records I have noticed a 3-5% drop in mileage during a period when I did not use this mix, so I'll stick with it.

....works for me.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
John, bigger is definitely better and I would do the same, even though my tank is 42 gal. but GD those supertanks are expensive!!! Real nice but OUCH!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would LOVE to get a supertank, but I think the wife would -:t all over that one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use:
- Amsoil cetane improver
- Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
- Stanadyne Performance Jr. (for detergent)
This mix is most likely well into the "overkill" range. Looking at fuel records I have noticed a 3-5% drop in mileage during a period when I did not use this mix, so I'll stick with it...
What are the ratios you use for your custom mixture?

·
Banned
569 Posts
The bottle that Diesel Kleen comes in is made of High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE). I went by a camping supply store, and specifically bought bottles made of HDPE. So far, so good, although I also found that I could not write on the outside of the bottle with a Sharpie; the Diesel Kleen cleaned it right off! The 16-oz bottle has marks painted on the outside every 2 ounces. So far, the additive has not affected this.

Joseph

·
Registered
149 Posts
My additive only requires 5oz per tank so I just use an empty 5.5oz Lucas Fuel System cleaner bottle. Works well and doesnt leak.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
THIS is what I use.

Jim

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here is what I use:

174045_front500.jpg

I just dumped the contents into wife's car and refill from my 5 gallon can of Stanadyne. I only fill enough in each bottle to add to 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I try to always have two bottles in the truck ready to dump in the tank at any time.

I chose these because they are aluminum cans, so I figured the additive wouldn't eat through them. They also fit in the back door pockets on my EC truck. Never had any smell (and my wife would tell me if we did).

And No, I am not a JR. fan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts