Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, so please bare with me. I am looking into putting a Juice/Attutde on my truck. (Duramax/Allison) I will be towing a 8000lbs fifth wheel trailer, and driving the truck everyday. I am doing a 4" exhuast. I am not a racing type, or step on it too hard, too aften. I want this truck to last into the high hundres of thousands of miles (like everyone else)

What kind of problems, and or damage can or will occur? I have read a lttle about transmission stuff. Will the module cause any problems? (extra power, torque) or would the driving habits do the damage?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Damage, as you call it is in the hand or should I say the foot of the owner. If you continue to drive it as you do before modifications I would guess you would get a long life from it. If you change your driving habits and put your foot into it more often then I would not expect to get the same life span.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
As Diesel Tech states it's your decision and moderation for longevity ...

When GM up's the power they don't reinvent the wheel but turn it up primary via software,so to speak in general ...

Edge does it a bit different as the trick the ECM as oppose to program like TTS (Diesel Tech) does ...

Lower levels 1 and 2 with the Edge Juice Additude is well with in the cababilities of the Duramax and Allison transmission ... You will see better driving chacteristics when towing with the added torque ...Some will see added fuel economy do to lower revs getting the same job done and better ...

You control the Trucks longevity destiny ...

Mac

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have seen that these boxes can improve hp and mileage - the latter part scares me a tad in terms of longevity of the injectors; The diesel fuel lubricates and cools the injectors - less fuel per cycle = less lubrication per cycle = shorter life for injectors?

???

- jeff

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
dmax lover said:
I have seen that these boxes can improve hp and mileage - the latter part scares me a tad in terms of longevity of the injectors; The diesel fuel lubricates and cools the injectors - less fuel per cycle = less lubrication per cycle = shorter life for injectors?

???

- jeff

Jeff I agree with many of your post, however on this one I am not sure. The injectors will still be cooled because cooling is a funtion of bypass. Lubrication will still occur because you are actually sending more fuel through the injector. The milage gains come from increased timing and lower RPMS. Emmisions are probaly the real sacrifice.

Now to completly flip everything I just said on its head. I am a firm believer that if you are running a stock fuel system with a very high power stack you could be in jeporday of damaging your injectors. Basically if the injector demand is so great as to not allow suffecient return flow to the tank then you are completly altering the design of the fuel system. Normally there is 30-40% return fuel flow. If you use all of the fuel and send it out the injector tip then you are not allowing any fuel to be returned to the tank. This could be a problem in the long run. Strong argument for a high volume lift pump. There was a thread going and going about the funtion and design of the factory fuel pump/fuel system, however right when we were on the verge of a full understanding of the factory lift pump/high pressure pump the thread just went Kapoot!!!!!!? I personally still do not understand all of the ins and outs. 10 minutes with a Bosch engineer would sure be helpful.

BTW Nick, GMtech, anyone, could you please tell me if it is inapropriate for us lay people to post a response in the ask a tech forum? I cringe every time I do. Just so darn tempting.Edited by: Bronco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts