Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't have a "justification" for adding them. I just like them.

Is the wiring for the cab marker lights already up in the ceiling (I have a K2500HD SLT) or will I need to run dedicated wires all the way down to the fuse box? Is adding lights relatively easy?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I added cab lights to a brand new 93 GM truck once. The hardest part was removing the headliner. I found out the front was held on with velcro but I had to remove alot of trim pieces around the back.

That truck did not have any provisions up there.. I don't know about the new ones but the wiring part is easy. There should be a spot in the fuse panel for marker lights already.

Be careful when climbing and leaning on the roof... it's real easy to dent it.

Use wide masking tape on the roof at approx locations than carefully measure. You can use a pencil on the masking tape. I find the center of the hood first by measuring from both sides, the same amount than making a mark in the middle of those two measurements.

The best thing to do is if you have a freind with lighys that is willing to let you measure and even remove his so you can copy the holes and locations.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently added them to my '03 2500. There was no wire or connector above the headliner - I had to run one down to the connector block above the brake pedal. I tapped into one of the trailer connectors to get the effect I wanted (ie. flash when the door unlock function is activated so I could find my truck in a parking lot at night).

The headliner does not have to come out - just be loosened in the front. This required removing the sun visors and the overhead light. The headliner then dropped enough to get in there.

I did it basically as Hoot says - position the center light - then the outer ones. And definitely use the masking tape procedure. I went to the dealership and measured a 3500 on the lot. It's not critical as long as its centered and symmetrical. You could move it back a little, but not forward as you want to avoid the curviest part of the roof (to minimize stress cracks).

GMPartsDirect gets about $150 for the set. I bought the Pacers for about $75 shipped. These appear to be identical to the OEMs (OEMs may be Pacers?) in every respect. I bought them here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/higfivligkit.html

After I bought them I learned of this for $25:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5135

but I'm not certain that it's the same light set - although it sure looks like it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I received my pacer light package today for installing them on my 2003HD kinda felt nude with out them on this truck. All my past trucks had them. Since this is my first truck bought off the lot instead of ordering it, did not come with the lights. I will install them this weekend. Thanks for the good timing of your post to help me with my install.
I also like the idea of tapping the wire so that they can blink with the unlock.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bill- I had the same issue - my previous truck was a suburban and it even had marker lights. They were only a $51 (list) option on the 03's, but I found very few (zero in my color) trucks on the lots that had them installed. I asked the stealer about installing them and he said about $400 P&L! I was ready to do without until I found the Pacer kit.

Look on page 5-114 of the owner's manual at the Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block diagram. The connector labeled 'TRAILER' has 6 pins. I found that the lower left pin does what you want. I checked all pins on all unused connectors and this was the only one that worked exactly as desired. I'm not sure what this connector's purpose is, in-cab trailer brake controller maybe?

Tundra - Justification? Because they look cool and command respect on the highway at night - how's that?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been thinking of doing this at some point too - Just scares me a little drilling into my roof..!
- Thanks for the info though.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Somebody take step by step pictures so we can do a "Do-it-Yourself" article!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto on that request! I would really like to add these lights, perhaps at Christmas time. But, I'm a little squeamish on removing the headliner. Perhaps if I see some picts I won't be so paranoid.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I also installed the HIFIV light kit from the Yahoo link. They look exactly like the ones on my 3500. Did my measurements and just drilled a very small pilot hole for the mounting screws and drilled a bigger hole for the + and - wires and just screwed them to the roof. No leaks yet. I ran my wires to the passenger side pillar and down. I duct taped all my wires to the roof to reduce any rattles and rubbing. The factory installed lights have a harness that runs down the pass, pillar and plugs into the triangle fuse panel. Same location as the drivers side but just on the the pass. side. There is a positive and a ground there. Its on the bottom. It runs into the marker light system. My roof lights flash when I use my remote. I'll take a pic of the plug in location tomorrow and post it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well I added my marker lights yesterday, it took only 3 hours, 1 1/2 hrs of work plus 1 1 /2 hrs of on and off rain. It was real simple to do. 1st. I removed the overhead light with a #2 phillips screw driver (a single screw), then took my fingers from front to rear and pryed the light fixture off at the rear. Then used a T20 driver for the two sun visor holders (a single screw), then a T15 for the sun visor unit removal (3 screws). Next I pried loose the driver side pillar post cover at the top enough to allow the head liner to drop a few inches (about 6") and also did the same for the passenger side. I did not have to remove the handle on the above the passenger side door. I followed the instructions on installing the Pacer lights. Then ran the wire down the driver side corner post (remove the fuse panel cover for easier access) and then tapped the wire into the brown wire from my trailer controller harness. This had been suggested by dMaxCruiser and others.

"Look on page 5-114 of the owner's manual at the Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block diagram. The connector labeled 'TRAILER' has 6 pins. I found that the lower left pin does what you want. I checked all pins on all unused connectors and this was the only one that worked exactly as desired. I'm not sure what this connector's purpose is, in-cab trailer brake controller maybe?"

I finished up by securing all loose wires and sealing all holes with silicone including the ones prior to installing the screws in the pacer lights.

The pillar covers are removed by prying them out at the top and it will pop out quite easy as there is only one snap pin assembly on each pillar about 2" from the top. There is no need to remove the pillar cover completely.

It works like an OEM installed light. Also I applied a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of elec. tape to the screw tips (just start the screws in on the tape) on the pacer lights which held the "T" supports inplace with the screws while mounting the light units.

EngineerBill

·
Registered
371 Posts
Now that the roof lights are installed.
Where can we wire a set of marker lights up to on the rear under the tailgate? It would be nice to wire them to a seperate switch so that you can flash them.

Tim

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just received my set of lights from Harbor Freight, they ran me about $37.00 with tax and shipping. They look pretty nice not sure if they look like the OEM ones though. Only bad part was it took 13 days for them to arrive. Does someone have the measurements that they could pas along to me, so that I can get these puppies mounted? I would certainly appreciate it, considering that the nearest dealer is about 2 hrs from me. I will post some pics when I have them mounted if anyone is interested.

Edited by: Duramaxdad

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just finished adding my lights they look great with the Silverstars! Install was a snap thanks to you guys!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone get a good look at the running lights on a H2. I have only seen them at a distance but I like the seperate center lights better than the cluster, and there is something about the shape of the H2's lights that just seem more modern. Of course they will look pretty much the same at night (Great)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts