Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done adding Kodiak disc brakes to my 2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel trailer after replacing the greasy brakes and still not being impressed. Well now I can tell you that electric over hydraulic disc brakes on a heavy fifth wheel are the only way to go. In a nut shell, WOW brakes that actually stop!

·
Banned
10,145 Posts
I have Kodiak discs on a boat trailer. Much improved over the drums. Being a boat trailer they are controlled by a surge actuator and it has been on my todo list for sometime to upgrade to the electric over hydraulic actuator.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Changed to Kodiak Disc two years ago on my 13k# Glacier Peak 5ver and as others have said, I'll never have another trailer without disc brakes. Simply head and shoulders above electric drum brakes.

Reactions: CntrlCalDmax

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been thinking of doing this to my 5er, weak but okay brakes atm. so when you guys switched i bet you dont need the controller maxed out like i do with drums? Also ball park costs? I'll have to add elec to hydraulic thingamadigger.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed Kodiak disc brakes and Cargo Systems(Carlisle) controller 2 yrs ago and now have 12,000 miles on them. Other than bleeding them a couple of times they have been maintenance free, and you can see the grease seals. As others have said, I now have brakes that actually work. They provide smooth stops in stop and go and highway braking. I set my controller to 6.5, but I'm pretty sure setting it to the max could result in wheel lockup on dry pavement. Cost, $1200, me doing the install, and well worth it.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought my components from performance trailer and the total cost was around 1600.00 I went with the Carlisle electric over hydraulic unit and used all flexible brake lines. The only bad part is that the flexible brake lines were a little too long and to take up the slack, I spiraled the hoses around the axles to take up some of the excess length. At some point I might replace the flexible lines on the axles with some rigid lines. I have only done a couple mile test drive, but the braking is outstanding. Setting my in cab controller to 6 results in the trailer stopping faster than the truck and removing the slack in the king pin. My drums were worthless set on level 10.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good info. I got brakes now! pasted a response i put elsewhere as follows:

Scratching my head, Brakes were weak on 5er with factory controller. i put in a prodigy 2 controller and they were better but still weak. I never had 12v power at plug for charging trailer battery, so i run new wire from battery to plug with a breaker in there. Hooked to the 5er the controller was on max, pulled ahead slight down hill hit brakes and trailer locked up! never could even come close to that before. Took out to dealer to have work done and now i don't need it on max.HAPPY CAMPER! LOL Maybe i got better brakes cause the camper battery has more voltage? Do camper brakes run off the camper battery? I'm just curious cause i didn't think the system worked that way. Once these drum brakes wear out or break i will do disk.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my components from performance trailer and the total cost was around 1600.00 I went with the Carlisle electric over hydraulic unit and used all flexible brake lines. The only bad part is that the flexible brake lines were a little too long and to take up the slack, I spiraled the hoses around the axles to take up some of the excess length. At some point I might replace the flexible lines on the axles with some rigid lines. I have only done a couple mile test drive, but the braking is outstanding. Setting my in cab controller to 6 results in the trailer stopping faster than the truck and removing the slack in the king pin. My drums were worthless set on level 10.
This is how I did mine. Flexible lines to the axles and at each caliper.

Rich

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how I did mine. Flexible lines to the axles and at each caliper.

Rich
Same actuator as I used.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info. I got brakes now! pasted a response i put elsewhere as follows:

Scratching my head, Brakes were weak on 5er with factory controller. i put in a prodigy 2 controller and they were better but still weak. I never had 12v power at plug for charging trailer battery, so i run new wire from battery to plug with a breaker in there. Hooked to the 5er the controller was on max, pulled ahead slight down hill hit brakes and trailer locked up! never could even come close to that before. Took out to dealer to have work done and now i don't need it on max.HAPPY CAMPER! LOL Maybe i got better brakes cause the camper battery has more voltage? Do camper brakes run off the camper battery? I'm just curious cause i didn't think the system worked that way. Once these drum brakes wear out or break i will do disk.
Drum brakes are totally dependent on the truck wiring, but the ground must be good. Disc brakes with an electric over hydraulic actuator need a signal from the truck brake controller, but the actuator gets it's power from the trailer battery power which is kept charged by the truck's battery feed wire.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Same actuator as I used.
My 5th was delivered new with an Actibrake actuator. Never would stop like i thought it should even with controller at max. It finally failed and I installed a Carlisle unit. Now I run the controller at 9 and it stops with authority.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts