Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that you can add cruise control to a vehicle (95 tahoe) without cruise control by just replacing the lever with a cruise arm lever?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Is all the other stuff there? Cables, actuator, relay, wiring etc?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
What year did they go from cable to drive by wire? If it is drive by wire then yes you can just add the lever.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
May also require the small cruise harness to the PCM - hit a local boneyard, pull the lever\switch assy, trace the wire harness out.

You'll need to pull the courtesy panel beneath the steering column.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did this on a 97 Tahoe diesel 6.5 and all it needed was the Multifunction switch all other wiring was there. GM tech told me i would have to enable it in the ECM but I did not have to do that. Works fine.:ro)

·
Registered
23 Posts
By the way i have two tahoe's that look just like yours. Ex military (proud veterans) I put in power windows/ mirrors and cruise and replaced the interior one has been great other has been lots of problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cruise

So you got the Cruise to work with just putting in a new control lever that supports cruise?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Drive by wire appeared with the 94's until the end of the 6.5 production. If you boast (clear throat) a DS4 pump with PMD, it's *should* just be a matter of getting the PCM to do it's thing. Check out wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The PCM's support Cruise, if the wiring harness connections are provided for the Cruise multi-switch connector.

If your vehicle has the connector, just get the multi-switch lever, plug-n-go.

If not, just strip it outta the donor vehicle - not mine, of course! - connect it to the PCM, hook up the multi-switch, 'n-go.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Is it true that you can add cruise control to a vehicle (95 tahoe) without cruise control by just replacing the lever with a cruise arm lever?
1995 was the year GM changed over to drive by wire from cable linkages. Most '95 vehicles are the new style but because '95 was a transition year some '95 vehicles kept the old cable linkages. Just look to see if there is a cable from the accelerator pedal through the firewall to the throttle, which is old-style. My Chevy van is a perfect example, still having the old-style cables even though it is a '95. I had to get an aftermarket electric cruise control for it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Beg to differ there bud, but 94 was the dawning of drive by wire - unless you have some cutaway verision that created a weird set of circumstances for model year or something.....

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
He's comparing apples to oranges, kn - trucks to vans, big differences in several areas.....................

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Beg to differ there bud, but 94 was the dawning of drive by wire - unless you have some cutaway verision that created a weird set of circumstances for model year or something.....
Yes, I was talking the transition for vans and incorrectly assumed that the other GM veucles were of the same timeline. '94 vans were all mechanical, all year; '95 was part mechanical and part fly-b-wire; and '96 all fbw. And before I get smacked again, that's for diesel vans - don't know about gas.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Don't know about the Van's but I know my 94' Blazer is drive-by-wire.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Transition was from DB2 mechanical injection to DS4 EFI, truck or van - if it has a PCM, it's electronic accelerator pedal.

TCM is for DB2 with 4L80E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To those that have added cruise, do you have tilt steering or non-tilt steering?

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Chevy van is a perfect example, still having the old-style cables even though it is a '95. I had to get an aftermarket electric cruise control for it.
Your van has a throttle cable (and a DB2 pump) because its a Y code NA engine (no turbo). GM made these through 1999.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts