Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the box of Tuners/horsepower and headed for the track....Ran Wednesday night and tonight. The track is Palmdale CA at approx. 3500 ft elevation. Best time:

2.4 60 ft times

9.400 1/8 @77.27mph

14.47 @ 97mph

I was hoping for 13's. Ran in 2wd only lots of wheel spin. I was afraid to use 4wd on stock tie rods.
Got the beef coming for those. I was the announcer's and crowd's favorite for the night. Dusted off a Ford Lightning that had been chipped, he ran 14.55s consistently.

I don't know what my curb weight is but the truck is a CC LB 4x4 with a Snug Top Shell. As driven daily....spare tire.....tail gate... etc all still on the truck. Oh well....it is what it is.

A really interesting thing happened. I set a P1093 code twice. A quick call to a friend of mine to look up the code while I was at the track reveals a fuel pressure problem. I then hooked up the Predator and watched the Commanded Fuel Rail Pressure at 158MPa and the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure show 138MPa during a run. Hmmmmm.
Isn't this the thing DieselTech has been trying to make us aware of for some time. Looks like a lift pump is in my future.

The almost best part was all the questions about what I did to make the truck fast. Utter astonishment when asked (4 times by seperate people) about propane and I replied no.

The best part was a fellow Duramax brother coming over to talk....He said he had a 2003 2wd dually and wished he could get it to run like mine. I figured I should just give him Mac's phone number but I don't have it so instead I asked him if his truck was at the track. He said yes and he had a Hypertech flash in it. I whipped out my box of Tuners/horsepower and handed him a HJ 4.61. After getting rid of the Hypertech flash, setting him up as a one eyed jack and installing the Juice on level 4, off he went for his first pass. He came back with a smile that was not only ear to ear, I think the corners of his smile actually touched somewhere in the back of his head. 15.55 @ 88mph and he beat a Mustang. This guy looked like a 5 year old on Christmas morning he was jumping around so much. I let him use the Juice for the rest of the night and he swore to buy one first thing the next morning and was considering a tranny upgrade as well. He about broke my arm shaking it at the end of the night. Said it was more fun than his 9.90 Camaro just because it was a big truck and they are not supposed to go that fast.

My evil plan is working! Spreading the addiction to Duramax power wherever I go!
Coming to a dyno/race track near you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Amen, brother. I gave a guy I work with that HATES trucks a ride in mine with the Quad on 70. He said, 'I don't think I'd own one, but this thing has balls!' From him, that is quite a compliment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's right, until you try the truck with some "extra power" you really would not believe the difference. Even if you only run the programer/module in its lowest setting the difference is noticable.

Trippin thanks for answering my questions during my installation a few weeks ago. I love my juice/attitude.

Harvey

·
Registered
464 Posts
What box were you running when you ran your posted times?? It seems like you have alot of mods to be only running low 14's. If you leave off idle your 60' times should be in the 2.2 range assuming you don't build boost too quickly. You need to get some slicks like bdmax and see how she goes, or wait for your rods and really let her go.
i don't like racing in 4wd either, too much drag, but when you can't get off the line, its either tires or AWD

Good luck, keep us fellow drag racers posted!!

J

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's great being at the track with a modded Max. It draws lots of attention and questions, especially when you smoke a stang or a lightning.

You will get to the 13's for sure, it just takes practice. Your 60' times are killing you right now. With just the slicks and some tuning I shaved a full second off my times (14.1 down to 13.1) so with extra traction you will be there.

I can't wait to get to the track down here and hit the 12's.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forced Induction said:
What box were you running when you ran your posted times?? It seems like you have alot of mods to be only running low 14's. If you leave off idle your 60' times should be in the 2.2 range assuming you don't build boost too quickly. You need to get some slicks like bdmax and see how she goes, or wait for your rods and really let her go.
i don't like racing in 4wd either, too much drag, but when you can't get off the line, its either tires or AWD

Good luck, keep us fellow drag racers posted!!

J

I was using HJAT/5 + Quad 215. I couldn't get the launch right. It either bogged or it blazed the tires. Blazing the tires means 1st 2nd 3rd. One guy came over and wanted to know what it was like, driving a big truck like that sideways at half track??

I probably just need a better driver!

I still think there is something holding back my truck (fuel delivery???EGR system???) when I ran the HJAT/5 and then stacked the Quad on the dyno I only picked up 20-30HP. I tested with just the 215 and then added the HJAT/5 or vice versa... result was the same either way. I also tried a Duramaximizer stacked with the Quad and the HJAT in various settings at the track...basically same result each time. If I don't find out why it won't be for lack of trying.

Gotta go find some slicks for the next trip!

Edited by: Trippin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts