Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 LBZ CC I got one of RDS's combo tool & fuel tanks along with their install kit that splices into the stock filler hose. It automatically gravity feeds the stock tank until the aux. tank runs dry. Basically my fuel gauge reads full until my aux. tank runs out & than the gauge will function normally or at least that's what supposed to happen.

I was driving down the road & noticed my fuel light came on & the gauge was pegged on empty. The stock tank was full & the aux. tank was 3/4 full. I made a stop & came back to it about 15 min later (truck was shut off) & all worked fine after restarting. It went a couple days without issue & happened again. Just shutting down the truck & restarting doesn't solve it. It must be shut down for 10 to 15 minutes before the gauge comes back...:help2:

Matt

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I suspect that you are "overfilling" your OEM tank. The fuel sender is a float arm on a rheostat that gives a variable voltage reading based on fuel level. I think maybe that either your gravity fill is holding the float arm higher than physically possible on the OEM tank alone - causing an error situation in the ECM - or - your aux tank additional capacity is causing the ECM to think the sender is bad because you are traveling/burning fuel and the gauge doesn't go down. Key on/off usually "resets" the fuel gauge logic. How to solve the problem, I dunno. Perhaps a valve in the gravity feed and leave it off until the OEM gets down and then refill?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Is the higher tank properly vented? Almost sonds like a vacuum on the auxilary tank is not allowing the primary tank to fill (aux. tank not to empty into it).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had this same situation with mine, after about an hour with the aux dumping into the stock tank and keeping it filled the guage won't go to empty and the light would come. Like was said above, I think the truck thinks the guage is broken. I added an electric valve between the aux and stock, now when my stock gets to half I flip the switch. When I'm pulling, the aux runs out about the same time my tank is filled so then the guage goes back to normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked with the dealer tech & took the truck to him while the gauge was pegged to empty. The fuel system shows that the tank is at 99%, but the gauge doesn't recognize this. His thoughts are that the truck is thinking something is wrong with the gauge because it's not moving so it defaults itself to empty. He's talking with GM about the issue & it could be as easy as updating the software. Basically, as Idle Chatter mentioned, I'm confusing the computer with the extra fuel capacity... Damn things are too smart for their own good. :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
how many miles on the truck ive had 130 000 km on my truck and know lots of people with slip tanks i personally had a carter fuel pump because it wouldnt fill fast enough through the baldwin fuel filter the pump was nice
10 minutes and i was full just dont forget the pump on my gauge would go crazy some times but i just lived with it knowing i had fuel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.