Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been sort of covered before, BUT. The power camper mirrors suck, especially the passenger side. Is there a decent looking, functional add on blind spot mirror that won't intefere with the directional available? Maybe a picture would be nice.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good question...

I've got some small ones that mount on top of the existing mirror, but I'm not impressed. Too small a viewing area and they vibrate at freeway speeds.

I'm going out and look at spot mirrors again, see if I missed something when I looked locally last time. Some have posted that the '03 GM mirror that's convex might work, but another member said he broke his and all the stealer had as a replacement was a flat model like the '04. It's some Federal reg about towing mirrors or something IIRC.

I'll be watching this thread and post again if I find something workable.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I havent been able to find anything but the ones that sit on top(http://www.powervisionmirrors.com/models_specs_04.html). I am just not sold on the looks of these things. I would rather have some that look OEM. I bought some small ones to test out, but I do feel that they will be too small to do much. The biggest problem is the darn blinker is in the way.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have been using the ones that sit on top for two years now, And I'm pretty happy with them. I carry a slide in camper and they work great. My camper is 8'4'' wide and I have no problem seeing every thing around me. I like being able to see. Super Diesel

·
Registered
687 Posts
Could anyone with the Powervision "on top" mirrors post a pic from the front of the truck? The pic on that site is pretty pathetic. It would be nice to see what I would be ordering.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is a shot of the other side. The screw is removed to remove the mirror. Behind the mirror is a set-screw type set up that clamps the mirror to the truck mirror. Does not mark your mirror. These help but the GM mirrors still aren't up to snuff. I prefer the large Ford mirrors much more.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well, I may end up with a pair of these. The little stick ons I got, do work, but not great. Are those little bubbles adjustable meaning can the lense in them move?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TEXMudder,

Those are the same mirrors I've got on my truck.

Yes they are adjustable. I put on a set of the small round stick on mirrors yesterday in the bottom inside corners of the truck mirrors, and left the top mounts on as well to see which one I liked.

The top mounts have a wider field of view, but if you set the right side high enough to do you any good on the road, then you have to tilt the whole mirror down if you want to see where the tire, or in my case the fender, is. The stick on lets me see that, but the field of view isn't what I'd like.

I'm going to leave them both on for the time being and see if I can get along with one or the other. While still looking for a better solution, but right now it looks like you'd need two mirrors to get the job done....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I put mine on that same spot, the inside lower corner. They look like these: http://www.cipamirrors.com/convex2.jpg. The driver side works well altough small. The passenger side because of the angle of the mirror to begin with is out too far. I want to see the side of the truck.

With those pods can you see down well enough? I would assume that they are mounted too high and couldnt see much. Any thoughts on mounting them on the bottom? How about a picture from the drivers seat?

Id much rather have something thats a little more hidden.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for the pics... Now those are the ones that should be on their website. I think I will end up with a pair of these until I plunk down the coin for the vision view mirrors.

Later,

Nass

·
Registered
349 Posts
They adjust quite a bit to allow you to see either the lower rear section of the truck or further out from the truck. I run them adjusted out to help see around my trailer when Im towing then turn them in and down to watch for the imports (wouldn't want to miss one
) when Im changing lanes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is an interesting thought. Has anyone mounted on the bottom? If I understand correctly, it basically clips to the black plastic mirror housing, the thickness of which is constsant around the mirror. I wonder if this would still provide good blind spot angle and add curb visibility, too? Not sure how this would look, but it might be worth a try.

~Terel

TEXMudder said:
I put mine on that same spot, the inside lower corner. They look like these: http://www.cipamirrors.com/convex2.jpg. The driver side works well altough small. The passenger side because of the angle of the mirror to begin with is out too far. I want to see the side of the truck.

With those pods can you see down well enough? I would assume that they are mounted too high and couldnt see much. Any thoughts on mounting them on the bottom? How about a picture from the drivers seat?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I took two 5" round convex mirrors, and a set of 1" angle brackets (from hardware store) and mounted on bottom of mirror (where mounting bolt is). I can now see down the side of truck (see my rear tires and camper tires both sides). Don't have digital camera to post picturs. I tried the ones from power vision and didn't like or adapt to them.
I saw at a truck stop the other day 6" convex mirrors that would be perfect. Hoping to find black ones though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm probably going to get flamed for my solution but, I have never liked the mirrors on my truck, I have always had regular side mirrors and separate convex mirrors on all my trucks, when I bought my new truck I gave the mirrors that came on it from the factory a fair shot but I just wasn't happy. So I went about changing them to fit my requirements.

this is the right side...

Here's the left side

If you notice the right side regular mirror glass is not a wide angle mirror, I replaced it with a left side mirror glass flipped over to fit the right side. I can see who's beside me on the interstate on the 4 1/2" convex mirror when I can't see them in the regular mirror with out turning my head. The only blind spot is directly behind me, and how I have the mirrors arranged it's not that big of a spot. I can back a trailer up with both mirrors easily. They may not look "normal" but anyone who's seen them and knows why I did it likes them. I even had someone want to buy both mirrors off of my truck.

let the flames begin

dan

·
Registered
549 Posts
Those are the kind of pictures I want to see with the add-ons posted above. I want to see the shot from the driver seat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Towing mirrors really are a problem. I recently replaced the stock mirrors (Heated, elec. tilt and fold) on my 2003 Chev. Duramax with a set of the Power Vision Extendable Mirrors.

I think that I might have wasted my money. The mirrors do extend as advertised (after a visit to the dealer to have the re-flash done) but they don't really extend out far enough to see down the sides of my travel trailer. I now also have a blind spot on vehicles slightly behind and next to either side of the vehicle. I have added the Cipa wedge stick on mirrors and they are better than nothing but only partially solve the problem.

I had a better field of view with the stock mirrors and the Cipa model #10801 slide on towing mirrors.

I am very disappointed with the Power vision mirrors. I should have done better research before I spent my money.

I will follow this forum to see if someone comes up with an answer to the problem.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
terel said:
This is an interesting thought. Has anyone mounted on the bottom? If I understand correctly, it basically clips to the black plastic mirror housing, the thickness of which is constsant around the mirror. I wonder if this would still provide good blind spot angle and add curb visibility, too? Not sure how this would look, but it might be worth a try.

~Terel

TEXMudder said:

Advance auto parts for these easy angled stick-ons. Works great for blind spots and curb checking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just put a set of 3 1/2 inch convex stick on mirrors on my rig, I have the extending camper mirrors. I put them on upper part of the mirror closest to the cab. I have been checking them out and really like them, I can see the blind spot. I almost turned into a motorcycle last week and it made me think I needed something.

Boy I sure like that Spell Checker Diesel Power recommended!!!!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Like terel said

Any way to stick the powervisions on the bottom? And could someone please post some pics if it works? Thanks

Every time I drive my Dads 550 I wish GM copied ford on thier mirrors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts