Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the new DHRA heads up class next year:

You can run up to 2 turbos(any size), NO nitrous, and NO propane. The truck must weigh 15# per cubic inch or 5500#, which ever is greater. So I could weigh 6045#.

OR

You can run one turbo(any size), WITH nitrous, but NO propane. The truck must weigh 16.5# per cubic inch or 6200#, which ever is greater. So I could weigh 6650#.

Right now with a 1/4 tank of fuel my truck's race weight is 6600# without the spare tire and tailgate. A second turbo or a bigger single turbo isn't much of an option right now on the Duramax.

So, should I lighten the truck up 500# (which is do-able) and run my current set-up or should I add nitrous to what I have now? I can get a good ammount of smoke by stacking boxes so I'm thinking a mild shot of nitrous (50-100hp) to clear up the smoke would add some decent power without having to worry about o-ringing the heads.

Right now I'm running 12.8's at almost 104mph with the stock turbo, stock injectors, stock fuel system, without nitrous or propane, with just computer tuning, intake(airbox) & exhaust (muffler) mods on the motor. Anyone think the truck would be faster with the current setup weighing 500# less or at its current weight with a mild shot of nitrous?

Bigger injectors and a bigger shot of nitrous would make even more power but I would have to o-ring the heads for sure and I'm not ready for that yet...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tough call either way..... you would get about 4-5 tenths
from lightening the truck, and SHOULD get that from the
nitrous as well. I'd probably lean towards the nitrous due
to its inherent cooling and oxygenating properties which
would definately help the motor. Plus as an added bonus,
you can tune for more oxygen(N20) if the need were to
arrise......such as bigger injectors. Adding a second turbo,
or cuttin' up the truck is A LOT more costly and harder
to reverse.........

Tom

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Peronally I like the all motor approach as well. I think it would be a lot easier for you as well. IMHO it would be a PITA stripping the truck between track and road. Plus then you have the extra get up and go on the road without having to remove your seats before you drag someone from the stop light.

·
Registered
299 Posts
500#'s what all would you remove? seats and bumpers.
Nos might be better without depriving the looks of the truck. JMO Good look which ever way you go.
Scott

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear seat, rear bumper (replace with roll pan), gooseneck hitch, receiver hitch, one battery

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
mt dont take this the wrong way but only a drug crazzed idiot would even consider puttting nos on a diesel
....uuuh wait a minute never mind,,,,jess

·
Registered
299 Posts
MT
Any worries on traction loss with removing weight from the rear half of the truck.
Scott

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I say make it as fast as you can. Any way you want. NOS or Propane, or both. They will not take away from the times, maybe some wouldn't approve, but the truck will be just as fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.