Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR crowd move on.

Picked up my new LML just this past Wednesday from a used car dealer in Houston and started the drive to Plano to visit some friends and pick up a new piece of equipment for my business.

Within 100 miles of Plano, the CEL came on. I pulled over and got the p11dc code. Arrived safely to Plano. Thursday morning, I left to go over to Saginaw, TX (50 miles West) to view my new equipment. About 10-15 miles from Plano, the truck gives the "bad DEF, check owners manual, 99 miles to 65mph" messages. Continue to Saginaw, view my equipment, and return to Plano.

Called around trying to find some help, and eventually got to a moonlighting dealership tech who agreed to help. First checking the DEF quality with the correct gauge, and it came up good. He even checked the DEF in his truck with the same gauge to make sure the gauge was good.

Changed out the rear nox2 sensor, which fixed all of the codes, but the poor def error would not go out. After 1/2 of a tank of fuel of testing, changing out multiple components, he was at wits end. He worked on the truck all day Friday and Saturday morning. As I was coming to the dealership to pick up personal effects from the truck and fly back to St. Louis Metro, I told him to try one last thing for me. Flash the ECM. As I arrived, the reductant test, which was continually failing, finally passed. The test literally was spooling down just as I was getting back into the cab to the airport.

The tech even did the glow plug test, pulling out all 8 plugs and pressurizing the coolant system, to test for bad head gaskets, which could cause issues with the emission system. The head gaskets are good.

$826.xx worth of repairs that I didn't plan for, and the used car lot won't return my calls.

Now, I drove back home Yesterday (4/2/16) from Dallas, in a 9:40 minute trip, and had no issues.... Aside from the truck has used 1/2 of the overflow tank's coolant. Since the coolant looks clean (108k miles on the truck), I'm assuming (I know, bad) that they changed the coolant and didn't burp it. I'll add more coolant in the morning and keep monitoring it to see if the loss continues.

What a crappy situation. I'm having buyer's remorse of the LML, and seller's regret of my LLY.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You're already out of factory warranty, so if you can, do a delete and rid yourself of all these emissions related issues.

The Dark Side is calling.....

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could, but Illinois is talking about doing emission testing, so I dare not.

I also came down with pneumonia in the process of this. I feel like crap, and thought I was going to have to hit the e-room in a Plano hospital. My doctor has no after hours means to call him, so I'm suffering through until tomorrow. Hoping to get a medrol-pack and some amoxicillin.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bigger concern right now is finding whether or not the coolant just needed burping, or whether this thing is injesting coolant somewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel your pain. My dealer took care of my cost to fix. But no chevy dealer in the area could get the problem fixed. I took it to a diesel only shop that had it fixed in a few hours. No problems since. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh and get the shot. I cane down with that crap last weekend. Thought I was gonna die. Dr said pills wont touch it, gave me 2 shots and 3 days later I was good as new.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well I read all the posts here and can only say: I am confused as ****? why all the unrelated test and expense am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I read all the posts here and can only say: I am confused as ****? why all the unrelated test and expense am I missing something?
Yeah, you're missing not owning an 11 or 12 Dmax, which I found out after purchase and in researching trying to get mine on the road, have all of the issues with emissions crap. So if you're not having issues relating to DPF and DEF, be thankful.

Another issue, which I found out after the purchase, is that pretty much all the dashes in GM SUVs/Trucks crack between the years of 2007-2012. There is talk on Facebook about a class action lawsuit. Mine is cracked from the top left corner of the airbag to the edge (about 2" long crack.)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, you're missing not owning an 11 or 12 Dmax, which I found out after purchase and in researching trying to get mine on the road, have all of the issues with emissions crap. So if you're not having issues relating to DPF and DEF, be thankful.

Another issue, which I found out after the purchase, is that pretty much all the dashes in GM SUVs/Trucks crack between the years of 2007-2012. There is talk on Facebook about a class action lawsuit. Mine is cracked from the top left corner of the airbag to the edge (about 2" long crack.)

My 2012 was completely trouble free... As for your dash, I do believe GM is giving a good will warranty for the crack, you may also want to check with the NOX sensors, I think they extended the warranty on the 11's.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I have a 2013 and my dash is cracked in the same exact place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wish I could, but Illinois is talking about doing emission testing, so I dare not.

I also came down with pneumonia in the process of this. I feel like crap, and thought I was going to have to hit the e-room in a Plano hospital. My doctor has no after hours means to call him, so I'm suffering through until tomorrow. Hoping to get a medrol-pack and some amoxicillin.
Illinois is talking about doing emissions testing?! For the whole state or just the collar counties and Chicago?

'07 GMC LBZ CCSB

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Illinois is talking about doing emissions testing?! For the whole state or just the collar counties and Chicago?

'07 GMC LBZ CCSB
Dont know what a collar county is. I'm down in the St. Louis metro area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dont know what a collar county is. I'm down in the St. Louis metro area.
The collar counties are the ones around Cook county and Chicago. I'm in a rural area, so I'm guessing the emissions testing will be in the urban areas. I checked the testing locations and they're in/around Chicago or St. Louis.

'07 GMC LBZ CCSB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts